View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
queen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject: netflix Reply with quote

Hi

I would like to get netflix on Gentoo. I looked in the wiki page for instructions. I tend to use the chromium version. Any one knows if I can download films via use download offline with chromium?

Also, someone knows of a program/browser plugin for linux that downloads the film in mp4 so that it can be viewed after that in vlc? I found a couple of programs for windows but couldn't find yet for linux.

[url]https://www.flixicam.com/guide/play-netflix-video-on-vlc.html
https://www.sidify.com/guide/play-netflix-videos-on-vlc-media-player.html
https://www.tunepat.com/guide/how-to-play-netflix-videos-on-vlc.html

[/url]

Thanks
CooSee
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: netflix Reply with quote

queen wrote:
Hi

I would like to get netflix on Gentoo. I looked in the wiki page for instructions. I tend to use the chromium version. Any one knows if I can download films via use download offline with chromium?

Also, someone knows of a program/browser plugin for linux that downloads the film in mp4 so that it can be viewed after that in vlc? I found a couple of programs for windows but couldn't find yet for linux.

[url]https://www.flixicam.com/guide/play-netflix-video-on-vlc.html
https://www.sidify.com/guide/play-netflix-videos-on-vlc-media-player.html
https://www.tunepat.com/guide/how-to-play-netflix-videos-on-vlc.html

[/url]

Thanks

i use Brave Browser only for NetFlix and such and it's working great.

good luck
queen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Any special instructions? Or just install brave and that's all?
CooSee
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

queen wrote:
Cool. Any special instructions? Or just install brave and that's all?

just install from the overlay.

before you play a movie for the first time on eg. NF you'll be greeted once with a popup to install the 'widevine' plugin !

that's all :)
RayDude
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use google-chrome and it works fine.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Widevine is a DRM module. OP asked specifically about downloading the content in a format that would be compatible with offline play via vlc. Does Widevine permit this? That would seem to conflict with its purpose as a DRM module.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cancelled my Netflix a few years ago, but I don't believe it is possible to download the films legally. This is done on other platforms via their app and linux does not appear to be supported in any way. Of course, chrome supports the appropriate DRM to play them online.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
CooSee
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
I cancelled my Netflix a few years ago, but I don't believe it is possible to download the films legally. This is done on other platforms via their app and linux does not appear to be supported in any way. Of course, chrome supports the appropriate DRM to play them online.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/54816

never used :!:
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
I cancelled my Netflix a few years ago, but I don't believe it is possible to download the films legally.
Technically, it's legal if the rightsholder agrees to allow Netflix to post the film without DRM encumbrance. Practically, I'm not aware of any rightsholder who agreed to such a thing, so the distinction is mainly interesting from the perspective that it's the rightsholder exercising their rights, not the law itself, which makes this difficult. A user-friendly rightsholder could easily permit such downloads.

The lack of such permission, and the resulting inability to save locally, was why I was surprised to see someone recommending use of Widevine DRM.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CooSee wrote:
The Doctor wrote:

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/54816

never used :!:
Exactly what I checked. You will notice that no Linux options exist other than the highly derivative android or chrome OS. I assume this has to do with control of the file so the DRM ensures only their app can play it so long as your account is confirmed active every so often. Basically the same thing Spotify does, although they do have a linux client.

Hu wrote:
The lack of such permission, and the resulting inability to save locally, was why I was surprised to see someone recommending use of Widevine DRM.
Yes, I agree there is some confusion here between playing and downloading the videos.

As to my comment about legally downloading, I can think of any number of ways to download the movies on Linux bypassing the DRM, but that would obviously be illegal.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
JaydenBarnes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there, guys. The topic has not changed for me, I'd still like to get netflix on gentoo, but it seems like there've been some changes since 2020, so the instructions you shared before don't work now. Actually, I think it's easier to use another service than that damn Netflix, ugh.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: