Gentoo is the best fit for me, but...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xahodo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:21 pm    Post subject: Gentoo is the best fit for me, but... Reply with quote

...has its own annoyances. Even gentoo. I mean, portage and fast? That's like an oxymoron, but on the other hand portage is the most powerful package manager out there. I haven't seen any other package manager that's more powerful. Gentoo also has loads of really nice tools which make managing your system that much more easier (eselect, openrc management tools and genkernel, to name but a few). Use flags allow for nice fine-grained management of what gets installed. Since I'm a kde user, the odd package tries to install qtwebengine in. qtwebengine is a reason in and of itself to not install certain packages and just make do with a browser version or a different program.

I tried other distributions, none matched gentoo.
  • suse-tumbleweed is unstable (it crashed on me);
  • Solus is quite stable and I like it a lot... and then they decided to enable -O1 on gcc by default, also eopkg (their package manager) can sometimes clean up too many packages when cleaning up orphan packages (packages which are not explicitly installed). Also, systemd (bad, encountered issues with it).
  • void is really nice. A nice minimal installation. Fast package manager (the servers where packages reside are slow though, probably because there are not many of them at the moment), but where's the tooling? I'd love something like eselect on void to help me out managing system stuff. What I'm also missing in void is package categories (since gentoo and solus I can't live without these). Also, what's with all this symlinking business?!

Yes, I've been spoiled with rolling release distributions, but none match gentoo in its flexibility. However, if gentoo goes full-on systemd, I'm going to move to void linux.
duane
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo is the best fit for me, but... Reply with quote

xahodo wrote:
Yes, I've been spoiled with rolling release distributions, but none match gentoo in its flexibility. However, if gentoo goes full-on systemd, I'm going to move to void linux.

The only reason I can imagine for gentoo forcing systemd is if it becomes completely impractical to assemble a linux system without it -- a possibility, but we're nowhere near it yet. In that case, I doubt if void will survive anyway.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think Gentoo *can* go full systemd, you weren't really using its flexibility to begin with... I'm not even using any of the officially supported PID1s.
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo is the best fit for me, but... Reply with quote

xahodo wrote:
However, if gentoo goes full-on systemd, I'm going to move to void linux.

Why would you even think that?

How many people are on the Solus and Void development teams? I can only discern a handful on the Solus web site, and I can only find on on the Void site. Gentoo is deep.
amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
If you think Gentoo *can* go full systemd, you weren't really using its flexibility to begin with... I'm not even using any of the officially supported PID1s.
Are you referring to maintaining separate ebuilds and potentially patches to software? If so, then I've never used its flexibility.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Ant P. wrote:
Are you referring to maintaining separate ebuilds and potentially patches to software? If so, then I've never used its flexibility.

That's how I do it out of habit, but not needed because everyone already has preinstalled options. busybox has *two* fully functional init systems: a sysvinit-compatible one and runit.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only used "patches" to configure dwm, so I don't really consider that as comparable. Otherwise I've only kept local copies of ebuilds when I'm not ready to upgrade.

For "normal" single user use, maintaining any appreciable amount of ebuilds and patches seems like a somewhat specialized use case.

I think it is reasonable to consider Gentoo devs deciding to simplify support around systemd with alternatives being out-of-tree only.

I'm not aware of any appreciable organization of effort that has formed around a path Gentoo devs have chosen and a user community that prefers an alternative. Of course, I can't say I'm aware of any significant disagreements.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: