Copying Gentoo installation with rsync -a removed setuid
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElektroVirus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Copying Gentoo installation with rsync -a removed setuid Reply with quote

Hello,

I bought a new laptop and didn't want to install my whole Gentoo installation from scratch. So, I created only a new partition table and partitions (LUKS + LVM but it doesn't really matter). Then, I used "rsync -a" to copy the whole existing installation to the new laptop. After reconfiguring /etc/fstab and the bootloader and booting to the new system everything seemed to work.

But I found a few problems. The first one was that both i3lock and the lockscreen from KDE Plasma didn't work: my password was unable to unlock the lock screens. I had to kill i3lock or use loginctl unlock-session to unlock the KDE Plasma session from another TTY. After some searching I found a thread from these forums: the solution was to
Code:
chmod 4755 /sbin/unix_chkpwd

The next problem which I discovered that ping didn't work (it didn't have permissions) and I already knew the solution, "chmod 4755 /bin/ping".

Now I found out that Wireshark does not work, probably for the same permission problem. Now to the questions. Why didn't "rsync -a" copy the permission bits for these binaries? And how do I now fix the issue, how can I know which all binaries need these setuid/setgid-bits?

ElektroVirus
alamahant
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
When using rsync invoke it thus
Code:

rsync -aAXHv /src/ /dst/

This will preserve perms, links and extended attributes.
:D
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

--archive is documented as being -rlptgoD (omitting -HAX). -p is --perms, so setuid should have been copied. OP: are you sure that setuid/setgid were present on the old filesystem? Perhaps the relevant programs were built to use Linux capabilities, and so they were not setuid/setgid. I think losing xattrs would have the same symptoms as reported.

You could try using equery check to look for invalid permissions, but I am not sure if that can find invalid xattrs.
SlashBeast
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your problem is not suid that is being lost -- those are copied just fine. What is not are file capabilities.

Code:

# getcap /sbin/unix_chkpwd
/sbin/unix_chkpwd cap_dac_override=ep

Check 'man 7 capabilities' to understand them a bit more.

Those are stored in extended attributes and require '-X' flag to rsync to preserve them. Alternatively you can go with -filecaps USE flag if you want to revert to suid binaries.
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of times I've used cp -a and successfully copied a system partition to another partition. I don't think that's the best approach because it copies everything, including a lot of files don't really want or need to copy. It's sloppy, but I'm pretty sure it worked. Ordinarily for backup purposes I tar each of the directories in the partition root, i.e. /, using --xattrs and --numeric-owner switches. For example, the beginning of my backup script reads:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#gentoo2bak.scr
mount /mnt/backup0
cd /
tar cpf /mnt/backup0/sysbak/bin.tar.zst -I "zstd -9 -T0" --xattrs --numeric-owner bin/

For those special directories where you don't want to traverse the directory tree, such as /sys or /proc, I add the --no-recursion switch and/or selectively exclude sub-directories I don't want to copy with a list of exclusions using the -X /parth/to/file/with/list/of/exclusions/exclude.var switch.

What I end up with is a collection of compressed tar archives running now about 3.3 GB, that I can restore in whole or selectively to any destination partition. I've done this successfully many times for over 10 years (probably more).
amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
ElektroVirus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your quick replies!
You were correct, those were the file capabilities which were missing and not the SUID. I do have a backup from my old system (I cloned the SSD to a HDD), but I'm not so eager to copy everything again since this was a few weeks ago and I am not quite sure what I have already changed since it.

Can Portage somehow recover these missing file capabilities easily? If not, I will probably use getattr to read the attributes from the old filesystem and set the missing capabilities with setattr.

But, as rsync man page reads;
Code:
--archive, -a            archive mode; equals -rlptgoD (no -H,-A,-X)

my filesystem is now missing hardlinks, Access control lists and these extended attributes. Are these missing hard links and ACL a problem, are they in use by the system? If, then I must roll back to my backup completely.

And thanks Andy Figueroa for the tip of the backup script, writing that kind of script is definitely a good idea and I must make one for myself.

I'm so glad for how helpful this community is :)

EDIT:

I restored the missing attributes from my backup by mounting it and running
Code:
getfattr -d -m '.*' -R /mnt/gentoo/ > /root/attr_dump

After removing from the paths the part "/mnt/gentoo/" in file /root/attr_dump (this could have been omitted by chrooting into the old filesystem before getting the attribute dump) the attributes could be applied to my new system by running

Code:
setfattr --restore=/root/attr_dump

I still am not sure about the ACLs or hard links but everything seems to work now as before.
Hopefully this edit will help someone in the future :)

ElektroVirus
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: