Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MathFreak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evangelion wrote:
Clete2 wrote:
Many people mount their FAT drives in Linux (I run Gentoo/Windows98 dual boot for games, XP sucks at games, too much of a RAM hog)...

But that is NOT the subject of this licensing. This license is about mass-storage (flash.drives and such. They don't have OS) and embedded devices (that CAN run on Linux, but why would they use FAT in that case?)

Like my Zaurus which by default uses FAT formatted compact flash cards (so Windows can read the card as well)?

EDIT: Never mind, I just looked at the list of devices, and it doesn't look like PDAs fall under any of those categories.
someguy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im going to build a distribution with the sole purpose of automatically destroying any windows based harddrive (quick format) just put the cd in and walk away *dang im evil*
danbond_98
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

today it's mass storeage devices and embedded systems, tommorrow it could be PDA's or anything surely? ok so at the moment they are only looking at those two things, but i am sure if it serves their purposes they would apply it to other things, being they have the right to.

or am i missing something? i am not american and therefore not amazingly up on IP laws, mind you i am not amazingly up on UK IP laws which is not good seeing as one of my first year computer science modules last year was all about them.....
Doomwookie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

someguy wrote:
im going to build a distribution with the sole purpose of automatically destroying any windows based harddrive (quick format) just put the cd in and walk away *dang im evil*

Actually I remember reading an article about a small distro called Evil Entity Linux where one of the developers said that the first thing it would do is automatically blow windows away, then procede to install their version of linux. I never got around to trying it so I don't know if it actually did do that. They were basing it around the Enlightment window manager at the time.
canislupus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people on this forum have suggested that because the Linux driver is reverse engineered, it is not subject to this patent. There have been some posts correcting this idea, but I think it needs saying again, and louder:

A PATENT IS A LEGALIZED MONOPOLY ON AN IDEA

It does not matter how you implement that idea. If you implement it at all, you are subject to the patent. That is why people get so upset about patents. This is not at all the same as Copyright, which covers the specific implementation.

Now, as far as Microsoft's action being restricted to embedded devices goes, that is only because they have chosen not to apply it to other users of FAT. They could if they wanted to, though. They have a monopoly on that idea, remember, regardless of how or where it is used. I suspect that they wouldn't enforce it on Linux, however, because they'd probably run afoul of Anti Trust accusations, but that doesn't mean that the patent doesn't cover that.

Patents are bad. They are anti-competitive, and it has not been proven that they are effective in encouraging innovation, which is the justification that is most often put forward for them.
trbecker
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm... the only thing i'll lost is my shared mp3 partition, moved to a reiserfs partition. so, if i install winex and warcraft 3 under linux, my windowz box will serve just to play Counter Strike? m... and i'll gain a lot of space :twisted:
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MathFreak wrote:
Evangelion wrote:
Clete2 wrote:
Many people mount their FAT drives in Linux (I run Gentoo/Windows98 dual boot for games, XP sucks at games, too much of a RAM hog)...

But that is NOT the subject of this licensing. This license is about mass-storage (flash.drives and such. They don't have OS) and embedded devices (that CAN run on Linux, but why would they use FAT in that case?)

Like my Zaurus which by default uses FAT formatted compact flash cards (so Windows can read the card as well)?

EDIT: Never mind, I just looked at the list of devices, and it doesn't look like PDAs fall under any of those categories.

Even if they did, the license-cost would be in the flash-card and not in the PDA.
Yen
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why i switched to Linux, I'm sick of this corporate world with patants, DRM, TCPA and stuff

We all know, MS doesn't want us to use FAT anymore, but something like the new WinFS that haves DRM by default.
The best FS by MS is NTFS and will stay NTFS for ever I think...

Well, people could use ext2 instead of FAT on their MP3 players and stuff....
StringCheesian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone on slashdot.org posted info that suggested the patent(s) only covers certain extentions to FAT, like long file names. In that case, regular FAT would still be OK. Which one do portable devices use (if FAT at all)?

Does it make a distinction between an impementation of the file system itself and an implementation of drivers for it? It seems only the former is applying in the case...
RemcoNL
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'll have to find a way to upgrade my digital camera with EXT2 ?!
Clete2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StringCheesian wrote:
Someone on slashdot.org posted info that suggested the patent(s) only covers certain extentions to FAT, like long file names. In that case, regular FAT would still be OK. Which one do portable devices use (if FAT at all)?

Does it make a distinction between an impementation of the file system itself and an implementation of drivers for it? It seems only the former is applying in the case...

Most of the stuff I buy has FAT16.
Bowyakka
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this sneaky supsion that that only applies to fat-32 vfat and miscrosoft versions of fat 12 and 16 I belive that what was once the developers of dr-dos and ibm have their own implmentations of the fs and that its a it a non official standard ....

bit i might be wrong (anyway the desgin stinks linked lists only allow for soo much in terms of storage and efficientcy anyway)
Stormy Eyes
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:18 pm    Post subject: IANAL Reply with quote

pranyi wrote:
What does C&D mean?

"C&D" is short for cease and desist, which is legalese for "Bad kitty! Stop that at once!"
Cossins
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evangelion wrote:
In short: no. This is about embedded devices and such. Linux can use it just fine.

Oh, and Linux isn't in embedded devices at all? :roll:

If Microsoft goes on and gets aggressive on this one, Linux is in trouble (supposing that they can claim royalties for reverse-engineered code). One of the major strengths of Linux is the mind-blowing scalability. Linux can run on basically anything of importance, and FAT is widely used in embedded devices (different kinds of flash rom).

- Simon
Redeeman
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yen wrote:
That's why i switched to Linux, I'm sick of this corporate world with patants, DRM, TCPA and stuff

We all know, MS doesn't want us to use FAT anymore, but something like the new WinFS that haves DRM by default.
The best FS by MS is NTFS and will stay NTFS for ever I think...

Well, people could use ext2 instead of FAT on their MP3 players and stuff....

winfs will simply be 123123123 times better than ntfs
Bowyakka
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WinFS isn't a new filesystem , its mearly a wrapper that sits ontop of ntfs features like streams, its like an sql frontend to the filesystem

Trust me windows longhorn will still be using ntfs as the base filesystem , you just wont be seeing any references to it again from microsoft unless you are a server manager or a developer
Mayhem
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TenPin wrote:
I'm sure one could develop a windows driver for ext2 for less than $250k.

Allready been done.... and open source :twisted:

http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm
peterton
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scootersmk wrote:
I will try to spare you guys from all my ranting, but seriously, I think this is rediculous. Soon we are going to find out that they have a patent on clicking the mouse button. So, then they will get a fraction of a penny for every click.

Not a single click, but double click yes: 6,727,830
8O
scharkalvin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: digital cameras? Reply with quote

Olympus uses something resembling the fat file system on their
flash memory cards for their digital cameras.
Currently I can mount these cards via usb-storage under Linux and
read them. Now what happens?
lolowen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterton wrote:
scootersmk wrote:
I will try to spare you guys from all my ranting, but seriously, I think this is rediculous. Soon we are going to find out that they have a patent on clicking the mouse button. So, then they will get a fraction of a penny for every click.

Not a single click, but double click yes: 6,727,830
8O

i saw that reported on slashdot the other day. it amazes me how they can get a patent for that. its like me applying for a patent for using a mouse with my left hand :lol:
Syzar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bowyakka wrote:
WinFS isn't a new filesystem , its mearly a wrapper that sits ontop of ntfs features like streams, its like an sql frontend to the filesystem

Trust me windows longhorn will still be using ntfs as the base filesystem , you just wont be seeing any references to it again from microsoft unless you are a server manager or a developer

Exactly. And Here's MSDN article about WinFS, published March 17, 2004.
Fitzsimmons
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the ideal solution is an opensource ext2 with the permissions hacked out of it. Then drivers can be written for every OS ever, including native support in windows (I think this should be possible :?). By native support I mean a drive formatted with ext2-nopermissions can be mounted read/write just like any other 'normal' harddrive in windows. Currently reading other filesystems in windows requires a utility since partitions don't just show up as normal.

With this in place, if MS decides to cut support for fat, manufacturers have two choices. Switch to NTFS which is supported on windows, or switch to ext2-nopermissions which is supported everywhere (and also lacks the licencing costs that may incur with NTFS).
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Linux does have to drop FAT support, there are still many people out there with the kernel sources that include it. In other words, people will still be able to use it just by booting dual kernel with an older one that supports it and a newer one. I'd love to see MS try to stop every last Linux user from doing that. They can't look in at us like they do with WindowsXP users, so they will have no idea.

I see this being the same way with the guy that made the MP3 format. He wants royalties for all the MP3s people make, but nobody ever gives him any. In the end, MS is just going to end up whining because they can't do crap. The only thing in my system (which isn't always in there) that uses FAT are my floppies (until supermount supports ext2 or I use that new thing with along with udev since I already use udev). Therefor, I'm not worried at all.
Fitzsimmons
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been said already: That's all good and fine for the user/pirate market, but it is no good for commercial settings. Microsoft would have someone to sue the pants off of if some company were to try to pull a stunt like that in their newest embedded device.
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe MS is finding a way to allow Linux to gain even more of a lead. :lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: