Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] Questions about vim-latex that feels basic...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vcmota
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Questions about vim-latex that feels basic... Reply with quote

I am trying to use vim-latex plugin for compiling a latex document, but I am struggling in the early beginning with questions that feels very basic, but for which I could not find an answer anywhere.

When I type the \ll shortcut the latex file is immediately compiled, and, since there are errors of compilation, I am observing the following behavior: the screen is separated in 3 split parts, the bottom part showing the regular output of the compilation (the same one that shows up when I compile from the command line), the middle part with what seems to be a summary of all compilation errors found and the top part showing auxiliary files related to the errors. For example, one of the errors regards the lack of proper bibliography, so when I am pointing to this error in the middle split the top split shows the bbl file.

That is all ok, and I am not worried about the content of the errors which are pretty straightforward to solve. My questions are: 1) where is the original file, the one that I was editing in the first place? 2) how do I close the 3 splits and get back to it? When I simply tipe :q inside each of the splits everything ended up closed, I am brought back to the command prompt instead of into the file being edited.

I found this here, which contains no shortcut for what I want, and also followed the upstream tutorial, which, in the part that regards my question, says nothing about how to get back to the original file.

Thank you all for your attention.

Last edited by vcmota on Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
vcmota
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I found out. What I want is a combination of actions/modifications:

• First, as pointed out here, I need to add to my .vimrc the
    Code:
     let g:Tex_GotoError=0
    line of code. That makes vim retain the source file openned after compilation, instead of opening some auxiliary file related with the error;
  • however, in case I decide to navigate through the errors, if I type ENTER in any of them the suite will open such an auxiliary file, which may be a .sty or .bbl or something else related to the error. If I decide to comeback from that into the source file than I should type either
    Code:
    :e#
    or
    Code:
    CTRL-o CTRL-o
    ;
  • If after compilation I decide to kill all the compilation windows and retain only the source file window, all I have to do is type
    Code:
    :on
    as shown here;

I hope this helps someone else someday.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: