Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

avenj wrote:
Filan wrote:
hmm as systems get faster.... i wonder how fast gentoo would bootstrap on a 4way Optron with a few gigs of ram....... i bet you could have a fully fuctional with xorg+(your favorite wm here) system in a day on a rig like that lol.

My (single-cpu) Athlon64 3200+ with a gig of RAM bootstraps in approximately 40 minutes. A full setup in under a day is easy enough 8)

I did it a lot faster than that on the same configuration.
I installed from stage 3 and used GRP for the rest of the system.
Then over time, each package has been upgraded and built from source.

This is, IMHO, the best way to get gentoo up and running fast.

Erik
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think that if Portage were ported to other distros then Gentoo would live stronger, not die out as you claim. Nothing will ever beat Gentoo's community as far as I can tell. Sure it can have Gentoo's features but it wouldn't be Gentoo without the community. Just my two cents...
boilersuit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo will be around for some time. The antiquated and slow hardware we have now will be laughable in 5 years time.
Guyver3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo dying i dont think thats possible, in my opinion and it has been stated before this community is the best there is. Ive sat and read the posts for hours even spotting other distro users posting here about "getting something from Gentoo to work with another distro".

I hope Gentoo has a long and very good life!!!. Ive seen and used distros that have come and gone and was a big fan of slack for a long time before converting to Gentoo and must admit i find it hard to switch back to anything else.

If they put portage onto other distros i think it proves its strentgh and will give some other distro users a quick wake up call to end the ever growing "Best distro" arguement. In my years working with pc's ive never came across a system that is so totally user friendly as Gentoo (what i mean by that is there are so many "any problems check the forums and ask" remarks made in the docs its refreshing to know there are ppl here willing to help others and not shun them because of thier lack of knowledge or skill).

All Hail Gentoo, Long live Gentoo and its community!!!
gentoo_lan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that as long as Gentoo has a strong community Gentoo will live on. Even if Portage is spread to many other distros, I don't think that will have a dying effect on Gentoo. Gentoo will continue to grow because users may want to check out the reason their particular distro switched to portage and come check us out directly. Also if other distros switch to portage many more people will be coming to the forums asking questions and may ultimately decide to switch to Gentoo to have more help solving their issues.
pablo_supertux
Advocate
Advocate

Location: Somewhere between reality and Middle-Earth and in Freiburg (Germany)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo won't die, gentoo won't disappear just because other distros use portage, too. Gentoo is becoming a "cult" distribution and the most of gentoo user won't leave gentoo only because RedHat or XXX Distri use our portage. Yes, there are users that don't want to use Gentoo any more, but most of these users are people that didn't really undestand what is Gentoo and waht is Portage.

Big Distribution like RedHat, SuSE, Debian and so on won't change thier package managment systems. First of all because they've spent lot of time and mony developing such packages and 2. because their users don't want to compile by themselves. Most of the RedHat users use Redhat because the need one click to install. If you gave them portage, the must compile thing by theirselves and they have to have a pretty good connection like ADSL. I think the other distributions that drop their package managment und change to portage will die.
Gilthoniel, A! Elbereth!
rush_ad
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo wont die. the only thing i hate about it is that gentoo is addictive. i love it but i cant afford to spend that much time. if portage works on suse, i will make it my primary.
radr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: my 2.5cents Reply with quote

i came to gentoo back when 1.1a was the 'new hotness'

i stick with it for a few reasons

1. forums - best out there
2. flexibility - freedom of choice
3. portage - nothing beats it IMHO
4. did i mention forums yet?

at least i broke the chains of windows in my family.. i got em all to switch from my 5 y/o niece, all the way to my grandparents.

even if other distros adopt portage, im a gentoo4lifer :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: