View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomorrowPlusX
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 4:23 am    Post subject: gnome-settings-daemon under kde Reply with quote

All
As there are some (and soon to be many) quite good programs for Gnome 2 which I'd like to run under KDE (which I prefer, as a desktop) I'd like to be able to run them with the settings I configured earlier from within a running Gnome2 session.

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, since Gnome went to a settings daemon approach, gnome-settings-daemon (gconfd?) has to be running for apps to get their settings -- else they run with defaults.

Unfortunately, if I just run gnome-settings-daemon it steals my desktop! Though, when it's running, Gnome2 apps do get their settings. Nonetheless, stealing my desktop seems a little greedy to me ;)

Is there any (ideally elegant) way of running gnome 2 apps with their settings, but without losing my (preferred) kde desktop?

I apologize if this has been discussed already, I'll accept a link and a polite rebuke ;)
asimon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like a buggy behaviour. Gnome apps should run from any desktop by just starting them. If they need some special daemon they should just start that daemon (without stealing the root window) like they had done in GNOME 1.4.

[30 seconds later]

Hmm ... I just started gnome-terminal from within KDE and it automatically started that gconfd-2 daemon. Everything seems to work. Maybe you have already gconfd-1 running? In GNOME2, gconfd-2 can't start if gconfd-1 is running. This is a known bug (see http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=70545 )

Cheers,
Andreas
BlackPhoenix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old old thread dug back up after a search...

Just wanted to say I have the exact same problem, and I do not have the beggining of a clue where the source could be (has nothing to do with gconfd-1 running, because it isn't...

However, if it has anything to do with it, gconfd-1 is in my path, while gconfd-2 isn't (though it is installed).

Beyond that, the problem is exactly how TomorrowPlusX described it.

What is silly in that is, I can start the deamon manualy, it kill Kdesktop. I can restart Kdesktop however, and then Gnome 2 apps work fine and are all pretty... But that seems amazingly silly to me, to even have to do that... I do not beleive it originaly did, actualy, but I have no idea when the problem started occuring...

If anyone has a clue, ring a bell :)

-Frankie
BlackPhoenix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bumping this up since its not on the first page anymore... just in case someone who knows the answer isn't looking far enough...

Would there be some packages that are revelent to this that I could reemerge, or something similar? I've been working on this issue since I've seen I wasn't the only one with the problem, and that it was not normal... But no luck still...
dreamer3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problems here... gnome-settings-daemon hijacks my screen whenever it is started... using gnome-control-panel I can tell it how (color, background, etc) I want my screen hijacked, but it always gets hijacked...

To make do for now I have simply set the Gnome background to the same wallpaper I set with Esetroot... I'll probably remove the Esetroot line soon and simply add gnome-settings-daemon to my .xinitrc since my Gnome 2 apps seem to need it to know which font to use... and they all don't open it automatically (though gnome-control-panel always does).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: