old Nvidia
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asukaki
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: old Nvidia Reply with quote

I am using an msi ge 620 dx laptop.
Two video cards available external Nvidia gt635 and my internal intel video card. Since the Nvidia driver is old, Sabayon is not supported on linux, so it remains on the black screen after installation.
I do not need to use nvidia, but it is not disabled from bios and its removal is quite troublesome.
So is there any way I can only use my intel graphics card when I install Sabayon, if I don't install nvidia?

Is there a solution ?
ian.au
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used Sabyon, not familiar with your laptop, hate the hybrid optimus graphic setups and haven't used nvidia for years, but you should have an option to turn off the card in your bios settings somewhere.
asukaki
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ian.au wrote:
I've never used Sabyon, not familiar with your laptop, hate the hybrid optimus graphic setups and haven't used nvidia for years, but you should have an option to turn off the card in your bios settings somewhere.

No option to turn off nvidia in bios or it has been disabled by the manufacturer.

[img]https://i.hizliresim.com/Ih6H0x.jpg[/img]
ian.au
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you look thoroughly? There should be something there under discrete graphics or similar. on one of the other tabs.

If no bios option, I guess you'll need to blacklist nvidia modules and remove the drivers, or install nouveau, which supports your card.

That's pretty trivial to do, but I'm reluctant to suggest how as I've zero experience with Sabayon and don't know what it could break.

Sorry I can't help more with that.
asukaki
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ian.au wrote:
Did you look thoroughly? There should be something there under discrete graphics or similar. on one of the other tabs.

If no bios option, I guess you'll need to blacklist nvidia modules and remove the drivers, or install nouveau, which supports your card.

That's pretty trivial to do, but I'm reluctant to suggest how as I've zero experience with Sabayon and don't know what it could break.

Sorry I can't help more with that.

thank you
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: