Switching from Debian
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rail5
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Switching from Debian Reply with quote

I've been using Debian for about 10 years, but I'm a control freak so I've been thinking about switching to Gentoo.
Anyone with a similar experience? Rough transition? How long until you & your machine were going smoothly again?
Buffoon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Gentoo and forums!

Your first question is too tough. :)

How long? It depends on too many factors. You can install Gentoo from Debian. This way you have all the time to mess with it and learn Gentoo without putting your computer out of use.
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 @Buffoon
Because gentoo is source based, low RAM amount is likely to slow you down when compiling.
Thus 8Gb minimum, 16 Gb recommended imho (4 Gb here) + build duration wise learning how have building directory stored on HD instead of ram for big packages, where fast storage, e.g. SSD, would be a +.

Thks 4 ur attention, interest & support.

Last edited by CaptainBlood on Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rail5,

Gentoo is not a distro. It a set of tools that you use to build your own distro to your taste.

You don't like Debians build of LibreOffice?
You can choose one of about 2^20 different builds (over 1,000,000) on Gentoo.

Gentoo is more like LFS with a package manager than any binary distro.

All gentoo installs are different.

I'll go with the advice of others, install from Debian and dual boot so you dip a toe into Gentoo without jumping in and finding that you can't swim.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
duane
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Switching from Debian Reply with quote

rail5 wrote:
Anyone with a similar experience? Rough transition? How long until you & your machine were going smoothly again?

Long, long ago, I switched from debian to gentoo, with very little real knowledge of linux. It took me about two days to get up and running. The hardest part was compiling my own kernel -- I advise people to use the gentoo-kernel package (or genkernel) now, at least until they've got a working system.

However, there are caveats to that. I was newish to linux, so I didn't have a lot of expectations -- the default settings (use flags and kernel configuration) were fine for me. It was only later that I started to stress about getting everything set up just right.

Also, I didn't know enough about linux to make any assumptions -- I followed the installation instructions to the letter, and had very few problems with most of the process. Much of my trouble with gentoo since has involved glossing over important points in the documentation.

Lastly, I've always been very command-line oriented, so it didn't bother me that I rebooted with no gui available at first. Although I seem to remember having another computer on hand to read the xorg installation instructions -- I didn't know how to use lynx at the time. (I installed from my previous debian installation, rather than use a livecd.)
ff11
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Switching from Debian Reply with quote

duane wrote:
Lastly, I've always been very command-line oriented, so it didn't bother me that I rebooted with no gui available at first. Although I seem to remember having another computer on hand to read the xorg installation instructions -- I didn't know how to use lynx at the time. (I installed from my previous debian installation, rather than use a livecd.)

Today they have these desktop profiles selectable via "eselect profile". I never used any of them, but it seems to me that they already have everything ready to use at the end of the installation.
I wouldn't find it strange if someone used an automated installer to get started on Gentoo recently.
| Proverbs 26:12 |
| There is more hope for a fool than for a wise man that are wise in his own eyes. |
* AlphaGo - The Movie - Full Documentary "I want to apologize for being so powerless" - Lee
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Circa 2004, I printed out the handbook on a dot matrix printer, and took about three days to have a running system on a relatively low-end machine for the time, and a very slow DSL connection. I may have been running Debian at the time, but Red Hat before that, and Slackware before that. Since then, I've never run anything but Gentoo on my main machine, and have deployed Gentoo to servers and the desktop in small enterprise situations (never more than 12 total machines).

Welcome to Gentoo. You sound like a good candidate user.
amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends. You can make your Gentoo very unorthodox, this will result in less documentation and support, which in turn drastically increase the time needed for polishing it up. If you pick standard install (desktop profile, no encryption, no btrfs or zfs), then it can be as little as 2 days for initial install, and up to a week to figure out the package manager and main USE flags.
Zucca

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: ++ for gentoo-kernel to get running system quickly up Reply with quote

duane wrote:
I advise people to use the gentoo-kernel package (or genkernel) now, at least until they've got a working system.
++

I did this with my last Gentoo install on a new convertible laptop. I even could have used gentoo-kernel-bin. Because some tests indicate that building your kernel with optimized compiler flags don't yield much better performance. It's the configuration itself that can lead to it.

All in all. I'd install gentoo-kernel or (gentoo-kernel-bin for even faster install) at first. Then maybe later start to tweak your kernel via using savedconfig USE-flag for gentoo-kernel or by switching to gentoo-sources.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: ++ for gentoo-kernel to get running system quickly up Reply with quote

Zucca wrote:
building your kernel with optimized compiler flags don't yield much better performance.

Off-topic: Right, what about optimized compiler flags effects on kernel size? Smaller? Bigger?
Thks 4 ur attention, interest & support.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: