Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How was it using Gentoo in the early 2000s?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unheatedgarage
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grubber33 wrote:
Cool thread, here's some of my memories from 2003 (Pentium II Celeron, 192MB RAM):

- Had to follow install instructions with lynx in a secondary terminal because no smartphones

I still do all of my installs like that -- it just feels wrong to do it any other way.

This is a cool thread.

I'm still using a dual core Pentium D CPU 3.20GHz with 4 gigs of RAM, and the runtime performance is acceptable, Build times used to be fine with distcc, but it seems more & more these days programs are building with Rust and other things that won't distribute, and that's getting frustrating.

Been using Gentoo full time since 2016, but I think I tried it for the first time back in 2011 on an old 32 bit system. So I'm definitely a noob in this crowd. I love Gentoo though, and this is a great community. :)
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How fast did it take the Pentium D to build rust 1.47? My guess: 5 hours?

I was kind of surprised, pentium4's, at least high clocked ones, aren't too bad relatively speaking while building rust compared to an Atom core. A dual core P4 would be even better.
unheatedgarage
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
Tue Jan 12 04:36:04 2021 >>> dev-lang/rust-1.48.0
       merge time: 10 hours, 30 minutes and 59 seconds.

Sat Feb  6 06:06:18 2021 >>> dev-lang/rust-1.49.0
       merge time: 11 hours, 38 minutes and 46 seconds.

This was all on my binhost. Frankly I couldn't imagine building it in the background on a running desktop while trying to watch a youtube video or something. Anyways, I've since started using rust-bin because I'm lazy and in-no-way a purist. :)
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installing 1.4 was fun back in 2004.

The main thing I remember was having to type
Code:
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -pv foo

We did that a lot back in the day.

Oh and XFree86 took about 8 hours to compile, so did GCC and glibc.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's odd. Thought it would get into the 5-hour mark. Just checked - it seems my P4 (3.4GHz, single core, dual thread) got rust done in 11 hours, and rust seems to parallelize well.

Build time just keeps getting longer and longer...
ferg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant. Reasonably confident I gave some 1.2 CDs in the the loft if you want more pain..,,,,
unheatedgarage
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
That's odd. Thought it would get into the 5-hour mark. Just checked - it seems my P4 (3.4GHz, single core, dual thread) got rust done in 11 hours, and rust seems to parallelize well.

Build time just keeps getting longer and longer...

Interesting...clearly I've been doing it wrong.

I have some other questions about rustc and distcc -- I'll update my "fun with distcc" thread shortly.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have to admit, part of the 11 hour was using distcc. The first part of rust (specifically the llvm part) actually can be distcc'ed, but I would still think that total build time should mostly scale because the stage1/2 compilers can't be distributed. It'd probably tack another hour or so on, based upon the typical 2:1 build time ratios between my atom (standing at 25 hours) and the p4.
xineg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did Neds Olde Gentoee but with an added USE=" -*" in my make.conf and it was up and running in a couple of hours. The main difference was being able to remove udev. I think this actually took time off of install because most of my modern day builds are cutting all the rubbish I don't want out. With static-dev, knowing about the system when building kernels and subsequently building them into the kernel I don't really need to detect things.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USE="-*" is fine if you want an absolutely minimal system. However, be aware that some ebuilds will hard-depend on a supporting package having a flag enabled, and that the flag will be default-enabled in the profile. Your explicit -* will override that, so you may see dependency conflicts most people will not see. When this happens, you will either need to allow that flag to be enabled, or avoid the consuming package. The choice is yours.

I only make this post because we have at least one other user who set USE=-* and then kept coming to the forum with odd problems that were traced to that choice, so I want to be sure you are aware of the potential problems that lie ahead.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kind of funny, when I first got into Linux, I moaned and b17ched at the 5 hour kernel compile time when my poor old computer didn't have enough RAM and HDD was slow because it was interleaved 2:1... but now these 25 hour rust compile time doesn't faze me as much... what gives...

Then again at one point I got my kernel compile times down to 1m 30sec ... but that was just a memory again too...
AJM
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
April 2003, I thought it was April 2002 I started, just after ADSL arrived here.

I'd forgotten the additional pain of downloading distfiles over dialup! At the time though I worked at the university so could burn the bigger files to cd-rw for use at home. I actually did the bulk of my first Gentoo install at work to make use of the network connection, can't remember the exact CPU but it was a slot mounted Athlon of some description to replace my previous P166 (pre MMX, 32MB RAM) - don't fancy running Gentoo on that even back then, FreeBSD was slow enough!
xineg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
USE="-*" is fine if you want an absolutely minimal system. However, be aware that some ebuilds will hard-depend on a supporting package having a flag enabled, and that the flag will be default-enabled in the profile. Your explicit -* will override that, so you may see dependency conflicts most people will not see. When this happens, you will either need to allow that flag to be enabled, or avoid the consuming package. The choice is yours.

I only make this post because we have at least one other user who set USE=-* and then kept coming to the forum with odd problems that were traced to that choice, so I want to be sure you are aware of the potential problems that lie ahead.

Hey Hu! Like yourself (and most posters to this topic) I've been around awhile. I've been doing -* on every install for ~20 years, and yes I do like minimal systems as in no extra wanted fluff, but I do it for control. You can still do -* and have many use flags and system filled with the weird and wonderful, it just means that you personally have to enter every use flag (short of altering ebuilds in a personal overlay and removing dependencies by hand). I understand why an in experienced user would be asking questions because most things refuse to build until you add some flags to them. Probably not a great idea for new gentoers, but rest assured I won't be asking questions.

Last edited by xineg on Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:02 am; edited 2 times in total
timeBandit
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: How was it using Gentoo in the early 2000s? Reply with quote

xylophone wrote:
I'm curious about the experience with Gentoo on old hardware, but specifically usage in the early days with regard to installation and updating (compiling, basically).
Things broke more often. Portage was not as smart as today; despite having simpler code to build and somewhat shorter build times, overall maintenance time was probably higher. There was often something that required manual intervention after a world update of any complexity. Resolving blocks or ABI changes used to be an occasional nightmare; now it's virtually automatic.

I can't make much of a comparison to modern hardware because I've not used Gentoo on any. ;) I finally lost patience 5-6 years ago (maybe more) and switched my then-primary PC (laptop) over to Mint. Bit over a year ago I ditched that too, for a MacBook Pro. I did keep Gentoo on my server (albeit with a two-year-ish stretch when I didn't even bother update it) because nothing else would have let me keep it in service for so long--it's my repurposed desktop workstation, bought new in 2002. 8O (And, as I posted earlier today, the upgraded HDD I installed in 2004 only just failed. Hooray, enterprise SCSI.)

Overall, I have been pleasantly surprised by the improvements in Portage and ebuilds since I left. I am much less pleased with the short-sighted bloat in many of the upstream packages. Fortunately I can live without most of the worst offenders or use their -bin versions.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long live revdep-rebuild !
saellaven
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Long live revdep-rebuild !

I just noticed that the default revdep-rebuild has been rewritten in python and the old one is now revdep-rebuild.sh

I guess it's been a while since I used it. emerge @preserved-rebuild ftw!
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Feel free to take an April 2003 Gentoo for a test drive.
The base system is there.
Xfree is installed but not yet set up.
Gnome is mostly installed.

Once I have a desktop, I'll host a VirtualBox disk image.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
flysideways
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had far more time to spare, and pretty much everything I thought I wanted was in the tree.
sdauth
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still having that 2003 vibe with lil' Atom K510 @1.66Ghz :

Code:
Mon Mar 22 00:52:17 2021 >>> sys-devel/gcc-9.3.0-r2
merge time: 16 hours, 58 minutes and 18 seconds.

Of course, with pgo, lto, hardened for maximum pleasure..
flysideways
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arm64 Pi 4
Code:
 Wed Dec 23 20:17:18 2020 >>> sys-devel/gcc-9.3.0-r2
       merge time: 6 hours, 42 minutes and 43 seconds.

It amazes me how this compares to the 1.2ghz Athlon that idled at about 170 watts.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo from 09-April-2003 looks like twm, three Xterms and X clock It llooks just the same today.
Gnome 2.2.1 with a few apps open,
and KDE 3.1

Its been interesting putting Historical Gentoo together again for the first time in 18 years.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Jojobinha_2009
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:28 am    Post subject: My uncle used to use Gentoo back in the day... Reply with quote

I remember seeing him boot up his laptop and seeing the KDE 3.5 splash screen loading...

Once he told me that installing Gentoo on his computer took 3 weeks. :lol:

But it was thanks to him that I was inspired to use Linux in the form of Kubuntu 8.10 and today, 13 years later, Gentoo itself.