Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How did the notification of transition from consolekit work?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whjeon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:39 am    Post subject: How did the notification of transition from consolekit work? Reply with quote

I have a question related to the notification system.
I've been using Gentoo on and off while 2+years already,
and recently I found that the default was changed to elogind from consolekit.
I'm wondering how the users were informed about this.
Were there any notifications or news items?

I mean, I'm asking this because I'm confusing now whether I should check
wiki pages of my world set from time to time forever, or this kind of transition
works almost automatically.

Thanks!
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a news item back in April for the switch to elogind by default, displayed only if consolekit is installed.

It didn't straight up mention it was being removed (that decision came later after users were successfully moving away from it), but still made it clear it wasn't supported anymore -- may it be consolekit upstream, other upstream projects using it, and ultimately gentoo.

On August 2 consolekit USE was masked (forcing the move) and package last-rited with a brief message to explain, then finally removed two months later. Users would see the last-rite message when attempting to update during those two months if it's installed, and that's on top of the news item that's still there.
whjeon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ionen wrote:
There was a news item back in April for the switch to elogind by default, displayed only if consolekit is installed.

It didn't straight up mention it was being removed (that decision came later after users were successfully moving away from it), but still made it clear it wasn't supported anymore -- may it be consolekit upstream, other upstream projects using it, and ultimately gentoo.

On August 2 consolekit USE was masked (forcing the move) and package last-rited with a brief message to explain, then finally removed two months later. Users would see the last-rite message when attempting to update during those two months if it's installed, and that's on top of the news item that's still there.

Ok, thanks for the information!
Then, I can safely focus on the news items!
fungalnet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:59 am    Post subject: consumers Reply with quote

vague and inappropriate reference to a piece of software that is being very actively developed in other parts of the unix ecosystem, it was last bumped to 1.2.2 in December 2021.

Open and free software is "shared" .... if there are those who perceive this activity as "consuming", devs as producers, then we have deeper and more severe differences amongst us than the use of elogind (live piece of IBM's systemd) and consolekit.

The gap is just widening and widening.
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The take away is that it is important for Gentoo users to read the output from their emerge commands. There may be important news about transition, deprecation, and new things. Not doing so for periods exceeding 30 days could lead to nasty and difficult surprises.
amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
fungalnet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Go figureoa Reply with quote

does this mean that I am saying this because I just found out?

Irrelevant comment then.

When I found out about the switch and the content of the message (news - his majesty the decision maker) about those who share a piece of software being branded "consumers", just what IBM would have wanted us to be, are unrelated. This message was intended to point out the ideological/philosophical chasm between US and THEM!

I'd rather use MSwin-7 than use elogind. Whether it has become a pain or next to impossible to use Gentoo for work, not hobby, without using the IBM garbage code is besides the philosophical separation.

Consumers digest a market product such as a trojan horse, called elogind, and the infrastructure necessary for it to be enacted.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really didn't realise 'consumers' in that context were the packages depending on consolekit...?

Last edited by asturm on Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: consumers Reply with quote

fungalnet wrote:
vague and inappropriate reference to a piece of software that is being very actively developed in other parts of the unix ecosystem, it was last bumped to 1.2.2 in December 2021.

First dev release of ConsoleKit2 - EricKoegel released this on 19 Oct 2014
ConsoleKit2 0.9.1 - EricKoegel released this on 20 Oct 2014
ConsoleKit2 0.9.2 - EricKoegel released this on 02 Nov 2014
ConsoleKit2 0.9.3 - EricKoegel released this on 10 Jun 2015
ConsoleKit2 0.9.4 - EricKoegel released this on 16 Jun 2015
ConsoleKit2 0.9.5 - EricKoegel released this on 12 Jul 2015
ConsoleKit2 1.0.0 - EricKoegel released this on 10 Aug 2015
ConsoleKit2 1.0.1 - EricKoegel released this on 13 Jan 2016
ConsoleKit2 1.1.0 - EricKoegel released this on 17 Mar 2016
ConsoleKit2 1.0.2 - EricKoegel released this on 19 Mar 2016
ConsoleKit2 1.1.1 - EricKoegel released this on 08 May 2017
ConsoleKit2 1.1.2 - EricKoegel released this on 02 Jun 2017
ConsoleKit2 1.2.0 - EricKoegel released this on 17 Jul 2017
ConsoleKit2 1.2.1 - EricKoegel released this on 13 Dec 2017
ConsoleKit2 1.2.2 - ajacoutot released this on 20 Dec 2020

A hiatus of three years between the penultimate release and the recent December 2020 release isn't indicative of "being very actively developed". It seems more like development and/or support of ConsoleKit2 ceased until it was picked up a few years later by a new developer. I was previously a ConsoleKit and ConsoleKit2 user and the problem I faced over successive years was that increasingly more of the packages I use stopped working either completely or partially because they had switched to using systemd-logind instead (x11-misc/lightdm, x11-misc/light-locker, sys-power/upower, net-im/skypeforlinux, and so on). When sys-auth/elogind was released and offered non-systemd users the possibility of using packages that no longer support ConsoleKit/ConsoleKit2, I switched. Unfortunate, but c'est la vie; I'm not going to cut off my nose to spite my face.

My blog
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: