thumbnail.so, guaranteed zombie process
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superdeez
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: thumbnail.so, guaranteed zombie process Reply with quote

I run xfce as my desktop environment, but I use a lot of KDE software, so IDK if that has something to do with this.

Whenever I even start Gwenview or use Kuickhsow for more than a few minutes, eventually the child process thumbnail.so becomes a zombie using 100% of one CPU core. Whenever this happens, I can't start any new KDE processes and I can't kill thumbnail.so. killing the parent process just makes it be reparented by init. kill, kill -9, killall -9, etc. The process WILL NOT DIE from whatever means I try. Unfortunately when this happens it locks me to the GUI because attempting to switch to a vt makes the local console crash. Attempting to shut down the system conventionally (either via ssh or from a terminal emulator in the GUI) begins the shutdown but when the system tries to send the term or kill signals to thumbnail.so it won't die so the system just hangs in this shutdown state. If I use any full-fledged image viewer this is nearly guaranteed to happen. The only choice to get my system back is a hard power off.

Is there some way to kill the parent/child process that I am not aware of? Does this have to do with using KDE software under xfce? This has been going on for months and months and months. Is this just something I have to learn to live with?
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: thumbnail.so, guaranteed zombie process Reply with quote

superdeez wrote:
kill, kill -9, killall -9, etc. The process WILL NOT DIE from whatever means I try.
That suggests a bug in the kernel, whether the core kernel or in a module. Processes cannot block SIGKILL, and will be terminated when it is delivered. The only somewhat legitimate case I know of where a process can resist a SIGKILL is when it is in certain types of uninterruptible wait. Even there, it doesn't survive; it just defers the signal until the wait ends. When the process stops waiting, the SIGKILL arrives and the process is terminated. Therefore, if your runaway is refusing a SIGKILL, you have a problem.

What video card and video drivers do you use? Do you have any out-of-tree kernel modules loaded? If yes, which ones and where did you get them? What kernel version(s) have you observed the failure on?
superdeez
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nvidia NV44A, Noveau module, no out-of-tree modules really.

This has been going on for a long time, perhaps since the 5.x kernel came out.

Originally it happened with Gwenview, this is the first time with Kuickshow. With Gwenview it always happens once the program exits. Kuickshow just crashed, then I saw a core at 100% and I already knew. IDK what state it's in at that moment, but it just won't go away. I killed Kuickshow's PID with SIGTERM, then Klauncher's PID with SIGTERM and finally I was stuck with this process that simply laughed at my blithe attempts to remove it with SIGTERM and SIGKILL. I would have posted the output of ps-Al but my screensaver tried to come on and that took down my console.

On the bright side, I've learned that ext4 is extremely tolerant of unplanned shutdowns...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: