Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
gentoo + arch -- no need to install bootloader?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GDH-gentoo's changes should have worked. Without the menuentry's you should have a string of kernels presented in date sequence.

EDIT: submitted for your consideration:

my refind.conf, sans comments:
Code:
timeout 5

showtools shell, gdisk, memtest, about, reboot, exit, firmware

scanfor internal,external,optical,manual biosexternal

dont_scan_volumes LABEL="SAGE_VIDEO"  LABEL="P1-1TB" LABEL="P2-1TB" LABEL="P3-1TB"

fold_linux_kernels false

default_selection 1

menuentry Linux {
    icon EFI/refind/icons/os_linux.png
    volume 904404F8-B481-440C-A1E3-11A5A954E601
    loader bzImage-3.3.0-rc7
    initrd initrd-3.3.0.img
    options "ro root=UUID=5f96cafa-e0a7-4057-b18f-fa709db5b837"
    disabled
}

menuentry "Arch Linux" {
    icon     /EFI/refind/icons/os_arch.png
    volume   "Arch Linux"
    loader   /boot/vmlinuz-linux
    initrd   /boot/initramfs-linux.img
    options  "root=PARTUUID=5028fa50-0079-4c40-b240-abfaf28693ea rw add_efi_memmap"
    submenuentry "Boot using fallback initramfs" {
        initrd /boot/initramfs-linux-fallback.img
    }
    submenuentry "Boot to terminal" {
        add_options "systemd.unit=multi-user.target"
    }
    disabled
}

menuentry Ubuntu {
    loader /EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi
    icon /EFI/refind/icons/os_linux.png
    disabled
}

menuentry "ELILO" {
    loader \EFI\elilo\elilo.efi
    disabled
}

menuentry "Windows 7" {
    loader \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi
    disabled
}

menuentry "Windows via shell script" {
    icon \EFI\refind\icons\os_win.png
    loader \EFI\tools\shell.efi
    options "fs0:\EFI\tools\launch_windows.nsh"
    disabled
}

menuentry "My macOS" {
    icon \EFI\refind\icons\os_mac.png
    volume "macOS boot"
    loader \System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi
    disabled
}

All the menuentry listings are disabled. The dont_scan is only set for volumes that I know have data only. One has the code for sysrecuecd. I don't want refind to find that one.

And here is /boot/refind_linx.conf:
Code:

"Boot by PARTUUID"   "root=PARTUUID=54fee329-ff75-4879-bdbb-93268b470f32 vga=0x365 net.ifnames=0  mitigations=off acpi_enforce_resources=lax "
"Boot by /dev/sdXn"  "root=/dev/sda2 vga=0x365 net.ifnames=0  "
"Boot by /dev/sr0"  "root=/dev/sr0 vga=0x365 net.ifnames=0  "
I only have one boot partition so I give it's PARTUUID. You don't want to do that. Hopefully, all your kernels find their root.
You may have to put that information in each kernel's CONFIG_CMDLINE
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure, can't see it from here, but I'm starting to think Gentoo kernel image is not where it can be found. sumati, where did you put it? For EFI stub boot it must be where UEFI firmware can find it, there is UEFI specification for it. If using some booloader then it must be in a location where this booloader has access to at boot time when nothing is mounted yet. For instance, if you put your kernel to /home/sumati/mykernel and your /home is on some exotic filesystem which bootloader cannot handle then your kernel cannot be loaded. The whole boot process is really simple, there are some basic rules to follow and common sense.
sumati
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GDH-gentoo wrote:
sumati wrote:
I followed your suggestions, but still no success.

So tell us more about how does it not work when you reboot. Does the rEFInd screen appear? Does it only show an icon for Arch? Does it show an icon for Gentoo, but then Gentoo fails to boot? You also have another partition with Ubuntu apparently (/dev/sda8), does an icon for Ubuntu appear? Does making rEFInd rescan all media (pressing ESC, I believe) change anything?

GDH-gentoo wrote:
sumati wrote:

So tell us more about how does it not work when you reboot. Does the rEFInd screen appear? Does it only show an icon for Arch? Does it show an icon for Gentoo, but then Gentoo fails to boot? You also have another partition with Ubuntu apparently (/dev/sda8), does an icon for Ubuntu appear? Does making rEFInd rescan all media (pressing ESC, I believe) change anything?

Previously I had a dual boot with Ubuntu, so when the computer starts, I can select between Arch and Ubuntu. After having installed Gentoo, I ran grub-customizer in Ubuntu, and in the list I moved Gentoo to the first, Arch the second and Ubuntu the last. But then both Arch and Gentoo disappeared from the list. I came back in Ubuntu, removed Ubuntu in in the list, but then, only Arch boots, the boot-list disappeared. By the way, in Arch I set compter to start X without Diplay Manager, so it starts X directly on TTY 1.
Last night I also tried to use efibootmgr in Gentoo. So first I created initramfs (genkernel --install --no-ramdisk-modules initramfs), and then running efibootmgr -c -d /dev/sda -p 1 -L "Gentoo" -l '\efi\boot\bootx64.efi' -u 'root=/dev/sda7 initrd=/boot/initramfs-5.4.80-gentoo.img quiet', which created a boot entry in Firmware Interface, so I can choose Gentoo from there, but Gentoo still does not boot, it appears merely "reboot into Firmware interface, boot in ..."
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make sure your firmware entry points to correct kernel image, please run from Arch

Code:
file /esp/efi/boot/bootx64.efi

sumati
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally I found the solution and now I can boot Gentoo. I run the command
Code:
efibootmgr --create --disk /dev/sda --part i --loader /EFI/refind/refind_x64.efi --label "rEFInd Boot Manager" --verbose
, which creates rEFInd Boot Manager, there various boot entries with icos appear, I can select Gentoo to boot.
Thank you all for your suggestions and inspirations, also for your patient hearing me and discussing with me. I finished only the first step of installation, when I have problems I will come back.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stumbled with that step my first time too. Luckily my second time my MSI BIOS was sophisticated enough that it detected the efi partition and the boot loader so that I could make the selection right from the BIOS screen without using efibootmanager which seems to be a window into the UEFI BIOS. I hope my ASUS board is as sophisticated.

Do your Gentoo and Arch icons look different? I have the stylized "G" for Gentoo. Do the Arch icons appear with Tux? Apparently rEFInd knows it's gentoo by the kernel name. vmlinuz-5.4.72-gentoo
I don't know how Arch names their kernels but I doubt if they have "gentoo" in them.
sumati
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GDH-gentoo wrote:
sumati wrote:

After running
Code:
 # efibootmgr --create --disk /dev/sda --part i --loader /EFI/refind/refind_x64.efi --label "rEFInd Boot Manager" --verbose
in Arch, I can now access Gentoo and Ubuntu in rEFInd Boot Manager that appears after reboot, but when I choose Gentoo to boot, I get
Code:
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available partitions:

In /boot/refind_linux.conf the number of the root parition is correct:
Code:
"Gentoo with standard options"   "ro root=PARTUUID=44c2f187-26f5-43f9-a9d9-a0a12a87ad1b"
Any suggestion?
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumati wrote:
Any suggestion?

1. Build your root= right in the kernel using CONFIG_CMDLINE
2. Double check the PARTUUID, it's extremely easy to make a mistake.
3. boot by LABEL= ? I don't know if this works or not
4. Add a root=(dev name) as in my example. See if it works. device names can change but are harder to mistype

BTW the boot options are not automatically searched. The first one is the default, you have to click something on the screen to scroll through them.
I forgot how and have no time to experiment right now. Look at the screen, it might be obvious.

NeddySeagoon may have other ideas. He's the King of solving these no root block found problems.
GDH-gentoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumati wrote:
[...] I can now access Gentoo and Ubuntu in rEFInd Boot Manager that appears after reboot, but when I choose Gentoo to boot, I get
Code:

Good, it means that rEFInd is doing its job, and managed to hand control to the Gentoo kernel. So it's time to check your kernel configuration. I assume, based on the output of ls -l /boot in an earlier post, that you don't have an initramfs. If that's the case, then there are certain kernel drivers that should have been configured as builtin instead of as modules, including those for your hard drive and filesystem.

And yeah, NeddySeagoon is the go-to person here for diagnosing kernel configuration problems :) Tell us how you made your Gentoo kernel. If you manually compiled it from kernel sources instead of e.g. using sys-kernel/gentoo-kernel or sys-kernel/gentoo-kernel-bin, standard advise in these cases is that you boot Arch again, post the output of lspci -nnk, mount the Gentoo partition, and put your Gentoo kernel configuration (.config) in a pastebin site using wgetpaste, so that we can have a look.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To boot without initramfs following conditions must be met - compiled in:

1. HDD controller support - it is in most cases AHCI nowadays.
2. Partition table support, GPT and/or DOS-MBR.
3. Root filesystem support.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumati wrote:
GDH-gentoo wrote:
sumati wrote:

After running
Code:
 # efibootmgr --create --disk /dev/sda --part i --loader /EFI/refind/refind_x64.efi --label "rEFInd Boot Manager" --verbose
in Arch, I can now access Gentoo and Ubuntu in rEFInd Boot Manager that appears after reboot, but when I choose Gentoo to boot, I get
Code:

In /boot/refind_linux.conf the number of the root parition is correct:
Code:
"Gentoo with standard options"   "ro root=PARTUUID=44c2f187-26f5-43f9-a9d9-a0a12a87ad1b"
Any suggestion?

Not sure what's going on but I don't think you're supposed to use a letter for --part, it's looking for a number (default 1), so it may very well be ignoring the --part since it's not what it's looking for.

Then you get the message
Code:
Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

Which says something isn't right, as it's pointing to disk 1, partition 1, and that's the esp partition (should be fat32), if root is indeed being mounted there, then the kernel would need to know about fat filesystems. But to me it looks like a misconfig somewhere as the root parition is (0,6 - 7th partition)
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually (0,0) tells us kernel cannot access the block device.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:

Doesn't understand the partition table?

Edit to add: he should post the .config file he is using for the linux kernel.

ETA2: is he using an initramfs and if so is it updated after he built the kernel?
sumati
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
To make sure your firmware entry points to correct kernel image, please run from Arch

Code:
file /esp/efi/boot/bootx64.efi

The output:
Code:
$ file /esp/efi/boot/bootx64.efi
/esp/efi/boot/bootx64.efi: PE32+ executable (EFI application) x86-64 (stripped to external PDB), for MS Windows
sumati
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
Not sure what's going on but I don't think you're supposed to use a letter for --part, it's looking for a number (default 1), so it may very well be ignoring the --part since it's not what it's looking for.

You are right, I have a typo in
Code:
efibootmgr --create --disk /dev/sda --part i --loader /EFI/refind/refind_x64.efi --label "rEFInd Boot Manager" --verbose

it should be
Code:
efibootmgr --create --disk /dev/sda --part 1 --loader /EFI/refind/refind_x64.efi --label "rEFInd Boot Manager" --verbose

(i => 1) After running again the correct command, everything is fine now, I can successfully boot into Gentoo. Gentoo is great! Thank you all for your help!
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
Jaglover wrote:

Doesn't understand the partition table?

No, (0,0) tells kernel cannot see the hard drive, HDD controller support is missing.

Anon-E-moose wrote:
ETA2: is he using an initramfs and if so is it updated after he built the kernel?

I'm not sure any more what is going on here. Are we getting rid of initramfs? Loading it with EFI stub boot can be problematic, so it would be a right thing to do. Unfortunately the whole action line here is not making much sense.

samati executed this:
Code:
efibootmgr -c -d /dev/sda -p 1 -L "Gentoo" -l '\efi\boot\bootx64.efi' -u 'root=/dev/sda7 initrd=/boot/initramfs-5.4.80-gentoo.img quiet'

However, the image she/he added with this command is
Code:
$ file /esp/efi/boot/bootx64.efi
/esp/efi/boot/bootx64.efi: PE32+ executable (EFI application) x86-64 (stripped to external PDB), for MS Windows

I don't know how to say it sugarcoated. What I see here is apparently samati is taking commands from internet and executing them without understanding what they do. Deceiving himself and us. I'm leaving this thread, quite clearly it has been a wasted effort for me. :(
apiaio
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover.

It was not too polite from you. Sumati is Gentoo's newbee and you should explain him what he is not understanding.
Not blame him. Except of perfect working operatig system Gentoo is popular for generosity of the forums.

Years ago I have installed Arch. One of the reasons why I dont use Arch is behaviour of some Arch forum members.
Maybe it was reason why sumati asked "how to boot Gentoo from Arch" in Gentoo forums.
sumati
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apiaio wrote:
Jaglover.

It was not too polite from you. Sumati is Gentoo's newbee and you should explain him what he is not understanding.
Not blame him. Except of perfect working operatig system Gentoo is popular for generosity of the forums.

Years ago I have installed Arch. One of the reasons why I dont use Arch is behaviour of some Arch forum members.
Maybe it was reason why sumati asked "how to boot Gentoo from Arch" in Gentoo forums.

thanks to apiaio. Yes, I know I don't possess enough knowledge about Gentoo, but I like it and I want to learn it by using it, so I took effort to make Gentoo bootable with helps offered here and on other websites. In Gentoo Forum there are still many friendly experienced users like apiaio, from whom I learned a lot. I will continue to use Gentoo and try to understand it better and better.
apiaio
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sumati.

Now when you are able to boot Gentoo this thread is solved.
Have you succeeded with
Code:
?
If not, you should create new thread. And yes GDH-gentoo is right
Quote:
And yeah, NeddySeagoon is the go-to person here for diagnosing kernel configuration problems :) Tell us how you made your Gentoo kernel. If you manually compiled it from kernel sources instead of e.g. using sys-kernel/gentoo-kernel or sys-kernel/gentoo-kernel-bin, standard advise in these cases is that you boot Arch again, post the output of lspci -nnk, mount the Gentoo partition, and put your Gentoo kernel configuration (.config) in a pastebin site using wgetpaste, so that we can have a look.

15 years ago, when I installed Gentoo the first time I used genkernel too. You can do it aswell. But I am convinced that after time when you will "fall in love" with Gentoo, you start with manual configuration of kernel.
You can start with manual configuration now. In this case
Code:
lspci -nnk
and your .config are essential information.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: