Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
New installation wont boot, what have I done wrong?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:17 am    Post subject: New installation wont boot, what have I done wrong? Reply with quote

Hi all,
I have just installed Gentoo on my system to dual boot with Windows. When I select to boot Linux it gets part way through the boot process and then scans the SCSI for devices (I have a Zip disk and a scanner attached), and just sits there continually scanning the SCSI bus for devices and never gets past this point.

Any ideas?

Regards

PJM
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjm,

Post the contents /boot (ls -al /boot), your grub.conf file and your partion layout

Regards,

NeddySeagoon

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
pjm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Won't Boot Reply with quote

Hi Neddy,
I can still boot the system from the Live CD so I was able to get the info you wanted.

The contents of /boot are
Code:

total 3315
drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root         1024 Dec  6 13:08 .
drwxr-xr-x   18 root     root         4096 Dec  7 10:24 ..
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 Dec  6 02:10 .keep
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           24 Dec  6 11:36 System.map -> System.map-2.4.20-xfs-r4
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       608556 Dec  6 11:36 System.map-2.4.20-xfs-r4
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            1 Dec  5 22:25 boot -> .
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         1024 Dec  6 13:55 grub
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root      1426668 Dec  6 11:37 initrd-2.4.20-xfs-r4
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root      1321232 Dec  6 11:36 kernel-2.4.20-xfs-r4
drwx------    2 root     root        12288 Dec  5 21:59 lost+found

and the grub.conf contains

default 1
    timeout 30
    splashimage=(hd1,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Linux
    root (hd1,0)
    kernel (hd1,0)/boot/kernel-2.4.20-xfs-r4
    initrd (hd1,0)/boot/initrd-2.4.20-xfs-r4

title=Windows
    root (hd0,0)
    chainloader (hd0,0)+1

The system has two hard disks both 60Gb. The partitions are as follows
hda1 = Windows 2000 programs, NTFS 30Gb
hda2 = Data, NTFS 30Gb

hdb1 = /boot , ext2 125Mb
hdb2 = swap , swap 1000Mb
hdb3 = / , ext3 50Gb
hdb4 = /extra, FAT32 8Gb (common ground)

I think the problem is with the hardware detection, in Linux everything seems to be controlled by text files, this is a good thing but there are a lot of them and there is no road map as to where they all are.

Whilst booting the system starts a section called Storage Detection and tries to analyse the SCSI bus. On the SCSI bus are a 100Mb Zip drive and an Artec AM12S scanner. The SCSI adapter is an Adaptec AVA-2904.

The boot process outputs the following where xx is an ever increasing number;

SCSI host 1 abort (pid xx) timed out - resetting
    SCSI bus is being reset for host 1 channel 0
    SCSI host 1 channel 0 reset (pid xx) timed out - trying harder
    SCSI bus is being reset for host 1 channel 0
    (scsi 1:0:-1:-1) Disconnected list inconsistency: SCB index=255,numscbs=31
    (scsi 1:0:-1:-1) Disconnected list inconsistency: SCB index=255,numscbs=31
    (scsi 1:0:-1:-1) Yikes! There is a loop in the free list!

This is followed by two tables of numbers mainly zero and some more text then repeated with an incremented pid.

I hope this gives you enough info to be able to sort this out, if you need anything else please let me know.

Regards

Paul
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjm,

You have something incorrect in your kernel SCSI setup.
Rather than mess around with a system the won't boot, build another kernel that has the SCSI support missing. It will boot (I hope) but your Zip drive and Scanner won't work.

After you have done the kernel configuration, edit the line at the top of /usr/src/linux/Makefile which starts EXTRAVERSION =. This will make the system think is has two different kernels and it will put the modules into a new directory in /lib/modules. What you put in EXTRAVERSION doesnt matter.

Build and install the kernel in the usual way then edit /boot/grub/grub.conf to add a whole new set of entries with a new title, so that you can choose this new non-scsi kernel to get you going.

Now you can boot this kernel and play about with the other one to get scsi working.

Oh. Undo the edit to the Makefile, so you don't overwrite changes to your working non-scsi kernel when you try to fix scsi.

It may be as simple as something missing (or extra) /etc/modules.autoload but once the system is up, you can force modules from the 'wrong' kerenl to load to make SCSI work, then do a clean kernel build that will work first time.

Regards,

NeddySeagoon

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
pjm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:29 pm    Post subject: Problems problems Reply with quote

Dear All,
I have tried various things. Firstly installing another kernel has the same problem with SCSI as the first kernel. I think the problem is not to do with SCSI support in the kernel but with hardware detection in either initrd or hotplug.

I have installed the system in several different ways all of which have problems. The most severe problem being that installing or configuring grub direct from the live CD trashes the content of drive C: thus wiping Windows. Installing grub through an emerge from the internet works as advertised so I wasn't expecting the live CD version to fail in such a disasterous way.

Fortunately I have backups of all my data files, but not my e-mail archive or contacts list. Oh well.. ... . . .

A stage 1 install gives problems when it comes to emerge -u portage , the emerge stops on compiling ncurses 5.3 giving an error message about failing a sanity check, but if one continues with the installation one finally gets a system where grub works, Windows will boot but Linux goes into the SCSI testing loop.

I have not done a stage 2 install.

A stage three install gives a system where if you select Windows you just get back to the grub splash screen and if you select Linux it goes into the SCSI loop again. If you try to repair Windows by booting from the Windows CD it informs you that drive C: is either not formatted or has been corrupted.

Does Gentoo Linux work? I would like to believe it does but after the 10th install I have little evidence of it.

Regards

Paul
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: