/dev/tts was never created during install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JavaJack
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:27 am    Post subject: /dev/tts was never created during install Reply with quote

Without it, I cannot, as far as I can tell, use my serial mouse. At what point was it supposed to get created?

I built from stage 1 on a 486dx4-100, which took a week, so I don't fancy starting again from the very beginning :(

I enabled standard uarts, and devfs in the kernel (vanilla sources).

Now what?
manywele
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A serial mouse eh? If devfs is mounted then you might have to modprobe some module to get devfs to create the proper entries in /dev. I have no idea what the name of the module would be for a serial mouse though. If you compiled serial mouse support into the kernel and not as a module then I don't know.
JavaJack
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manywele wrote:
If you compiled serial mouse support into the kernel and not as a module then I don't know.

I don't know that serial mouse per se IS an option in the kernel. I didn't see any such thing. Serial mice are mentioned in the help text for standard/generic serial support.: "Most people will say Y or M here, so that they can use serial mice...". I built it directly, not as a module.

I see a single line in dmesg saying "Serial driver verion 5.05c (2001-07-08) with MANY_PORTS SHARE_IRQ SERIAL_PCI ISAPNP enabled". I don't see anyhing else related to serial.

When I cat /proc/devices, I see "4 tts/%d" and "5 cua/%d" listed there, but I don't see anything relevant in /proc/interrupts or ioports. (isn't COM1 supposed to use IRQ4?)

Is there a particular USE flag I forgot, maybe? Do I need to do some kind of mknod?
JavaJack
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:38 am    Post subject: The Fix: Reply with quote

The fix:

Remove ISAPNP from the kernel.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: