Installing gentoo on a internet sharing server
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dimewood
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:15 pm    Post subject: Installing gentoo on a internet sharing server Reply with quote

Hi.

I want tp install gentoo stage1 on my server, the problem is that the server is sharing my internet connection to the rest of my network.
What I wonder is can I setup the server so that it is still sharing internet while i run a bootstrap and the rest of the install process on it?
Dose the live cd have iptabeles?
floffe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you already have a working linux distro, you could use that for the installation. The only problem I can think of would be creating the new prtitions without losing data, but I haven't tried resizing linux partitions, just created new ones. In the new http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook.xml?part=1 Installation handbook there are descriptions of how to use an existing linux system to install gentoo. Basically, you create the partitions, copy over the stage file, and chroots into the new environment. But check the link.
Halanegri
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There aren't any special internet tools available on the LiveCD, so you can't share the internet connection if you boot from it. You can however do as floffe suggested and create the neccessary partitions, and install from the already working GNU/Linux installation you have on your computer(opening up a terminal window is effectivelythe same thing as booting from a livecd), if you have enough free space.
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be able to do what you want if you boot from a KNOPPIX CD to do your Gentoo installation.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: