More installation and boot problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigjohn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:39 pm    Post subject: More installation and boot problems Reply with quote

Hi,

As far as I can tell, I've installed gentoo, but I can't make it boot.

I normally have my hard disc set up as windowsXP/mandrake9.1/swap/and I now have gentoo here.

I have tried to change it so I have a /boot partition and a / partition, but I haven't managed to work out how to do this.

Previously, I had knoppix/debian installed where the gentoo is (/dev/hda4).

I normally use lilo to multi boot, and so I don't want multiple installs of lilo, so I have followed the instructions from the install guide and told "it" that I want to make hda4 both /boot and root, with hda3 being swap.

At the end of the install routine, I have ignored installing a boot loader and opted to make a boot floppy.

If I try and boot the gentoo install from the floppy, it starts loading but then hits me with an "invalid compressed format (ERR1)" error and halts the system.

I have also tried modifying the /etc/lilo.conf in the mandrake install but it didn't like the mod (basically what is mentioned in the install guide) so I've had to cancel the mod to the lilo.conf with #'s (is this what is called "commenting out"???).

Now I can only see the gentoo install if I use the partition magic file browser (in windows), I can't open/check either /dev/hda4 or /dev/fd0 using konqueror in mandrake.

Could someone tell me how to get this booting, either from the hard disc via lilo or from the floppy please.

I'm not new to linux, having used SuSE and Mandrake for 2 years, but I'm now wondering if being a "gui drone" has done me any favours :( Hence advice in "monkey see, monkey do" form would be very helpful, if possible

Thanks in advance

regards

John
slais-sysweb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: More installation and boot problems Reply with quote

bigjohn wrote:
Previously, I had knoppix/debian installed where the gentoo is (/dev/hda4).
[...]
At the end of the install routine, I have ignored installing a boot loader and opted to make a boot floppy.
[...]
If I try and boot the gentoo install from the floppy, it starts loading but then hits me with an "invalid compressed format (ERR1)" error and halts the system.
[...]
Could someone tell me how to get this booting, either from the hard disc via lilo or from the floppy please.

It's not very clear what you have done, or a doing now. It looks as if either
A) something is still looking for the previous Knoppix install
or
B) there is something wrong with the format of your kernel.

I am ot sure what to advise, as it is difficult to understand what you have (or have not) done. If you can see the partition you could check the file datess to confirm that what you have is the Gentoo install. Personally I find the GRUB boot loader much easier than LiLo. (Using a GRUB boot floppy gives a command line that enables you to change boot parameters at boot time. )
If all else fails perhaps the best option is to try again. Do a stage 3 install to save time.
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigjohn wrote:

That is because most kernels these days are too big to boot directly from a floppy.
You should try a GRUB floppy like slais-sysweb suggested, and post the contents of your /etc/lilo.conf from Mandrake.

Reinstalling Gentoo is probably not needed at this point.
bigjohn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well slais-sysweb and cyrillic,

It's a bit of a saga. My hard drive was originally hda1(c drive for windows xp), hda2 swap, hda3 mandrake and hda4 knopppix debian.

I tried to install slack 9.1 instead of the knoppix. I managed to balls up the install, and then mandrake wouldn't boot, because of the balls'd up slackware.

so I tried to just blank out the slack/knoppix mistakes. the mandrake still wouldn't boot. So being an impatient idiot, I went straight for a re-install of mandrake, so I would at least have a linux install.

Since then, I've downloaded and burned the gentoo disc's and "tried" to install it.

the only difference being that my hard drive is now hda1 windowsxp, hda2 mandrake, hda3 swap and hda4 gentoo.

As far as I can tell, the gentoo has installed on the hda 4 partition. And because I have always had a lilo version installed from mandrake (sorry, I know absolutely nothing about grub), I figured that if I can get the gentoo installed, then I should be able to make a boot floppy, until I can work out how the hell I get it to boot from the hard disc.

I tried to change my hard drive partitions so it reflects the default set up, just with different id's i.e. as I already have hda1, 2, 3 and 4, (all primary partitions) I tried to change things using partition magic so I had 1, 2 and 3 as primary partitions, then change things so hda4 was extended and then create hda5 and 6 which would have been logical for root and boot(which I think may have been the correct way to do it), but I couldn't work out how to make partition magic accomplish this (and as with grub, I know zero about fdisk so I couldn't try to do it that way).

for these reasons (lame though they may be), I have managed to install the gentoo, to the hda4. I just can't get it to boot.

I have tried modifying my lilo.conf like this

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
vga=normal
default="windowsXP"
keytable=/boot/uk.klt
prompt
nowarn
timeout=100
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
image=/boot/vmlinuz
label="Mandrake"
root=/dev/hda2
initrd=/boot/initrd.img
append="quiet devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=off"
vga=788
read-only
#image=/boot/kernel-2.4.20-gentoo-r6
# label="Gentoo"
# root=/dev/hda4
# initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.20-gentoo-r6
# append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi"
# read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
label="linux-nonfb"
root=/dev/hda2
initrd=/boot/initrd.img
append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=off"
read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
label="failsafe"
root=/dev/hda2
initrd=/boot/initrd.img
append="failsafe devfs=nomount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=off"
read-only
other=/dev/hda1
label="windowsXP"
table=/dev/hda
other=/dev/fd0
label="floppy"
unsafe

but as you can see, I have had to comment out the gentoo reference, because when I tried to run "lilo -v" I just got

Boot image: /boot/kernel-2.4.20-gentoo-r6
Fatal: open /boot/kernel-2.4.20-gentoo-r6: No such file or directory

so it won't boot from lilo at the moment.

I am unable to tell if the kernel is too large for a floppy, because I can't check it with konqueror, and when I try "#mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy" I just get an error saying about having to quote a file system. I also found "mount -a" in the man page, but that just drops me back into a # prompt and I don't know what to do from there.

I have, in fact, done a stage 3 re-install, but can't do anything with it. It seems to be there, as I can see the files by using the Partition Magic file browser (though that's all I can do with it - the PM8 is installed within windows and we all know what windows thinks of linux :)).

This is where I'm stuck.

Hopefully, this post is a little clearer.

regards

John
Halanegri
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reccommend you learn to use grub. I knew nothing about it till I learned from the installation instructions. At least try.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook.xml?part=1&chap=9#doc_chap2
bigjohn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your suggestion Halanegri,

I read the install instructions, and changed my boot loader over to grub in mandrake, had a look at the grub.conf and checked out how mandrake see's it (i.e. for modification and so on), and using it via mandrake would make little difference - but trying to follow the different naming conventions used by grub i.e. hd0,0 and so on, is confusing me further.

I'm going to change back to lilo, because to my way of thinking it seems to be more straight forward, not that I understand it particularly, but until I'm comfortable with gentoo (if I can get the bugger booting), then I'd prefer to stick with lilo (this could also be more to do with familiarity).

Again, thanks for your suggestion.

regards

John
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order for Mandrake's LILO to find your Gentoo kernel, you will need to mount your Gentoo partition (/dev/hda4) somewhere that Mandrake can see it. Then provide LILO with the correct path to your kernel and initrd.

Do this from Mandrake :
Code:
# mkdir /mnt/gentoo
# mount /dev/hda4 /mnt/gentoo

Now edit /etc/lilo.conf like this :
Code:
image=/mnt/gentoo/boot/kernel-2.4.20-gentoo-r6
 label="Gentoo"
 root=/dev/hda4
 initrd=/mnt/gentoo/boot/initrd-2.4.20-gentoo-r6
 append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi"
 read-only

Now rerun /sbin/lilo and it should find your Gentoo kernel.
Reboot and see if it worked.
bigjohn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boot image: /mnt/gentoo/boot/kernel-2.40.20-gentoo-r6
Fatal: open /mnt/gentoo/boot/kernel-2.40.20-gentoo-r6: No such file or directory
[root@localhost root]#

I am definitely getting closer. Because although lilo still doesn't like info above, I can now view the files by looking at /mnt/gentoo.

I have made sure that there is a copy of both the kernel and the initrd (well, as far as I can tell) in the /mnt/gentoo/boot - So I'm still not sure why it can't boot it.

I don't have any mention of /dev/hda4 in the /etc/fstab which currently looks like this

/dev/hda2 / ext3 defaults 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdb,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0
none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0
none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0
/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs iocharset=iso8859-15,ro,umask=0 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda3 swap swap defaults 0 0

So should there be something in the /etc/fstab ? ( tried to put the basic /dev/hda4/ ext3 defaults 1 2 but it just errored and said something about no final newline - and I haven't a clue what that is).

Thanks for the continued support - and any further suggestions are appreciated more than you could ever believe.

regards

John

p.s. Short of pouring it over my keyboard, there's no way I can buy you a drink cyrillic, so I'll just have to drink one for you. :D
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigjohn wrote:
So should there be something in the /etc/fstab ? ( tried to put the basic /dev/hda4/ ext3 defaults 1 2 but it just errored and said something about no final newline - and I haven't a clue what that is).

Adding an entry in /etc/fstab may help LILO find the partition (it's worth a shot anyway). The line should look something like this.
Code:
/dev/hda4   /mnt/gentoo   ext3   defaults   0 0

Another option would be to copy your Gentoo kernel and initrd to Mandrake's boot directory, and edit /etc/lilo.conf accordingly.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: