View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VoVaN
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: cinnamon-4.8 crash at startup Reply with quote

I've installed the new cinnamon-4.8 and the session crashes at startup. I've tried to start openbox as fresh new user and use
Code:
cinnamon --replace >~/cinnamon.log 2>&1
from tmux. Below is the only entries I've got:
Code:
Cjs-Message: 12:59:34.581: Profiler is disabled. Not setting up signals.
Clutter-Message: 12:59:34.597: Sync method: PRESENTATION TIME
Gdk-Message: 12:59:34.614: cinnamon: Fatal IO error 0 (Success) on X server :1.

The following packages have been updated:
Code:
x11-libs/xapps
gnome-extra/cinnamon-menus
gnome-extra/cjs
x11-wm/muffin
gnome-extra/cinnamon-control-center
gnome-extra/cinnamon-screensaver
gnome-extra/cinnamon-session
gnome-extra/cinnamon-settings-daemon
gnome-extra/nemo
gnome-extra/cinnamon

cinnamon-4.6.x works on the same box without any issues. I'd appreciate any help!
halcon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there something related to the crash in syslog?
- Why did you buy 6 cartons of milk?
- They had eggs.
VoVaN
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

halcon wrote:
Is there something related to the crash in syslog?
I haven't been able to find any other traces of this crash while running 'cinnamon --replace'. However if I start cinnamon directly form ~/.xinitrc (exec /usr/bin/cinnamon) the following entry in the log appears:
Code:
kernel: traps: cinnamon[2207300] general protection fault ip:7ff9437b0450 sp:7ffc16f7bc50 error:0 in libcjs.so.0.0.0[7ff94377d000+82000]
halcon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks similar to an old bug, fixed by patching libcjs.

Try to downgrade gnome-extra/cjs?

Or, it was recommended in the same bugreport, to disable the network data monitor.
- They had eggs.
VoVaN
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

halcon wrote:
Looks similar to an old bug, fixed by patching libcjs.

Try to downgrade gnome-extra/cjs?

Thanks for the tip! I've tried both cjs-4.8.0 and 4.8.1, but the error was the same, then I tried the old one 4.6.0 (which is obviously incompatible) and I've been able to see "desktop", but no applets at all.
halcon wrote:
Or, it was recommended in the same bugreport, to disable the network data monitor.

I'm not sure what exactly this means, but removing /usr/share/cinnamon/applets/network@cinnamon.org didn't change anything.
halcon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VoVaN wrote:
I've tried both cjs-4.8.0 and 4.8.1, but the error was the same, then I tried the old one 4.6.0 (which is obviously incompatible) and I've been able to see "desktop", but no applets at all.
VoVaN wrote:
I'm not sure what exactly this means, but removing /usr/share/cinnamon/applets/network@cinnamon.org didn't change anything.

CJS is Cinnamon's Javascript interpreter. If I decide to debug that issue, I would try to disable all the applets (by one or in groups; it can be done in menu), and/or to insert "log/Global.logError" lines into applet.js files of the active applets (non-active applets should not affect the situation at all) to see where the code runs before the segfault and where not.
- They had eggs.
VoVaN
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

halcon wrote:
VoVaN wrote:
I've tried both cjs-4.8.0 and 4.8.1, but the error was the same, then I tried the old one 4.6.0 (which is obviously incompatible) and I've been able to see "desktop", but no applets at all.
VoVaN wrote:

CJS is Cinnamon's Javascript interpreter. If I decide to debug that issue, I would try to disable all the applets (by one or in groups; it can be done in menu), and/or to insert "log/Global.logError" lines into applet.js files of the active applets (non-active applets should not affect the situation at all) to see where the code runs before the segfault and where not.

yeah, I've tried removing ALL the applets in /usr/share/cinnamon/applets already but the error is still the same. I think the error occurs earlier in one of the scripts in /usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui...
halcon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I am not an expert in Cinnamon and in DEs in general, I just help to a friend to configure it on a laptop, and I do it mostly via menu :) When you untick an applet via menu, does its folder disappear from /usr/share/cinnamon/applets? If not (as I guess), then those operations are not equal, and the decision to go to the folder or not to go can be taken right in /usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui; if you removed the folder for an applet that is still active in menu, it could be an exception for ui.

If the problem is in js/ui, then I would try to insert logging lines in its scripts, beginning from js/ui/main.js (where is written "This is the heart of Cinnamon"), from the function 'start' (where variables needed for logging are declared).
- They had eggs.
VoVaN
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

halcon wrote:
Hmm... I am not an expert in Cinnamon and in DEs in general, I just help to a friend to configure it on a laptop, and I do it mostly via menu :) When you untick an applet via menu, does its folder disappear from /usr/share/cinnamon/applets? If not (as I guess), then those operations are not equal, and the decision to go to the folder or not to go can be taken right in /usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui; if you removed the folder for an applet that is still active in menu, it could be an exception for ui.

If the problem is in js/ui, then I would try to insert logging lines in its scripts, beginning from js/ui/main.js (where is written "This is the heart of Cinnamon"), from the function 'start' (where variables needed for logging are declared).

I do appreciate you help very much, thanks for your time! I'll try to dig into this issue.
halcon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all! If you have questions about JavaScript syntax, feel free to ask, I have some experience in it.
- They had eggs.
VoVaN
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I start with a fresh new user profile I see the following suspicious error in the log file.
Code:
Cjs-Message: 17:51:41.359: Profiler is disabled. Not setting up signals.
Cinnamon warning: Failed to load theme "Adwaita": Failed to find a valid file for theme Adwaita

Cinnamon warning: Could not find theme Adwaita. Falling back to default theme.Clutter-Message: 17:51:41.373: Sync method: PRESENTATION TIME
xinit: connection to X server lost

waiting for X server to shut down (II) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.

The theme is installed and I can select this theme if I run cinnamon-settings form openbox...
halcon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VoVaN wrote:
Code:

That message is coded at https://github.com/linuxmint/cjs/blob/b69b7477705481c50b9373acba0d5832076ca18b/cjs/profiler.cpp#L628
A similar message but with a suggestion to recompile is at https://github.com/linuxmint/cjs/blob/b69b7477705481c50b9373acba0d5832076ca18b/cjs/profiler.cpp#L530 . Is it possible that you missed an important USE flag somewhere?
- They had eggs.
halcon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a tutorial how to report cjs crashes at https://github.com/linuxmint/cjs/tree/b69b7477705481c50b9373acba0d5832076ca18b , among other things it lets to determine the name of a function where the crash happened.
- They had eggs.
VoVaN
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

halcon wrote:
VoVaN wrote:
Code:

That message is coded at https://github.com/linuxmint/cjs/blob/b69b7477705481c50b9373acba0d5832076ca18b/cjs/profiler.cpp#L628
A similar message but with a suggestion to recompile is at https://github.com/linuxmint/cjs/blob/b69b7477705481c50b9373acba0d5832076ca18b/cjs/profiler.cpp#L530 . Is it possible that you missed an important USE flag somewhere?

Good catch ;-) I don't use sysprof, but just in case tried to compile cjs with sysprof use flag which enables profiler, but unfortunately this didn't solve my problem as well. I'm really curious what is going on, but this takes too much time already. Maybe it's a time to stick to amd64? ;-)
VoVaN
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

halcon wrote:
There's a tutorial how to report cjs crashes at https://github.com/linuxmint/cjs/tree/b69b7477705481c50b9373acba0d5832076ca18b , among other things it lets to determine the name of a function where the crash happened.

I saw this one in the bug report as well and the result is:
Code:
addr2line -e /usr/lib64/libcjs.so.0.0.0 33450 -fCi
??
??:0

I think I'm missing some debug symbols...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: