Module Auto Load Confusion [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldTango
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject: Module Auto Load Confusion [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I am confused how the VirtualBox and Nvidia modules are being loaded. They get loaded but I also get VirtualBox errors (warnings) in the initialization process when booting the system. In the past you would list modules you wanted auto loaded in /etc/conf.d/modules like so
Code:
modules="nvidia vboxdrv vboxnetflt vboxnetadp"
Apparently this is not the case anymore as I am almost certain this is what is causing the errors to appear later in the boot process.

Also the Gentoo Wiki says
Quote:
It is possible to automatically load the modules each time the system boots. Create a new file under the /etc/modules-load.d directory and list, separated by newlines, the kernel modules to load: /etc/modules-load.d/virtualbox.conf
vboxdrv
vboxnetadp
vboxnetflt

However sense I don't have this file some other process is auto loading the modules.
Code:

[    1.692716] vboxdrv: Found 32 processor cores
[    1.693164] nvidia-nvlink: Nvlink Core is being initialized, major device number 247
[    1.693333] nvidia 0000:2d:00.0: enabling device (0002 -> 0003)
[    1.693403] nvidia 0000:2d:00.0: vgaarb: changed VGA decodes: olddecodes=io+mem,decodes=none:owns=io+mem
[    1.708146] vboxdrv: TSC mode is Invariant, tentative frequency 3399988818 Hz
[    1.708147] vboxdrv: Successfully loaded version 6.1.18 (interface 0x00300000)
[    1.711664] VBoxNetFlt: Successfully started.
[    1.714724] VBoxNetAdp: Successfully started.
I am making the assumption that module loading is handled by the /etc/init.d/modules script.

What is the proper GENTOO method to auto load the VirtualBox and Nvidia modules today.

Thanks..... :)

Last edited by OldTango on Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
psycho
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think udev will parse /lib/modules/.../modules.alias to autoload whatever modules are required for the devices in that file. Or at least, that's what I imagine's happening when modules I haven't explicitly asked to be loaded somehow wind up loaded when required.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldTango,

The old way still works. I use it as I don't have any auto anything on my main box.
Its not an error to attempt to load an already loaded module.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
OldTango
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I my case the VirtualBox and Nvidia modules would always need to be auto loaded during boot. I can't even execute startx without the nvidia driver modules being loaded. Which is why I had it setup that way in the past per the documentation.

Current documentation seems to be inconsistent with what I am seeing during the boot process. Some process is loading the modules and then some other process is attempting to load them a second time, hence the errors, but now Nvidia is screaming in RED TEXT.

I have been able to determine that the VirtualBox modules are being auto loaded by the /etc/init.d/modules script from /usr/lib/modules-load.d/virtualbox.conf. Removing the files I created for VirtualBox per the wiki and rebooting. The errors vanished and lsmod confirmed the modules were loaded.

I haven't sorted out the Nvidia problem yet but I am sure the resolution will be very similar.

I will mark this post as solved but it appears some docs are in need of updating.

Best Tango..... :?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: