Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Dantrell's GNOME Without Systemd Project (Part 4)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse the delay, I randomly stumbled upon this thread since apparently I'm still not getting alerts. :?

simonvanderveldt wrote:
Got hit by a large amount of rebuilds yesterday, not really sure why tbh, but one of them is cairo which fails with [...]

simonvanderveldt wrote:
Seems like you might need this change? [...]

I'm aware of this and already corrected it locally, I just didn't sync my changes since I didn't have time to do any QA (same reason why I'm also sitting on GNOME 40 and 41).

Give me couple days to make some time.

It's frustrating but almost all my hobby time has disappeared. :(

Edit: Sync up and you should be good to go.

simonvanderveldt wrote:
This might be a good moment to ask what you think about your overlay vs what's in the gentoo tree nowadays and if it's worth it to keep maintaining/using it?
The support for GNOME without systemd has been in the gentoo tree for a while now, so I expect most of it should be working fine? I guess there might still be some areas that aren't ideal? Would be interested in your opinion on it.

Fair question, and one that is already partially answered.

As mentioned in the project documentation, support will continue for as long as I use GNOME. However, as planned, I have already started sunsetting some GNOME release versions (not because they don't work but because changes in Gentoo means you need another overlay with "middleware" ebuilds).

Ever since Gentoo started supporting GNOME without systemd, I made sure it was obvious on my end where official support could be found and I believe quite a few users switched over and I don't blame them one bit. Overlays, by design, are second class citizens and will always play catch up with the main tree (which means previously working ebuilds will often result in emerge issues).

That said, the project's secondary purpose is to allow switching between GNOME release versions. If you use GNOME as provided by Gentoo, you won't have much choice in choosing when to upgrade, likewise, downgrading would be a pain. But, you'll be a first class citizen I guess? :wink:

Basically, if you always want the latest and great GNOME release as provided by Gentoo and GNOME upstream, use Gentoo's version. If you need the ability to switch between GNOME release versions and access to optional patches, use the project's version (but expect emerge breakage because Gentoo moves).
fulalas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to point out where exactly is the code that fixes this?

Code:

gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon    ✔ Yes    3.28+    Restores old timeout for user inactivity

Thanks and congrats for the hard work! :)
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fulalas wrote:
Is it possible to point out where exactly is the code that fixes this?

Overlays follow the main portage tree structure, so first reference the Gentoo Development Manual for where ebuild patches are stored (i.e. FILESDIR) and then reference the project documentation to get the patch file name based on the USE flag.
simonvanderveldt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There we are again ;)
Sorry for the silence after your last reply, been a bit busy. Thanks for taking the time to type the additional explanation.
I'm considering switching back to gentoo's provided GNOME mostly to be more "upstream", I don't need multiple versions and I expect I'd be able to just apply some patches in case they impact me. Anyway, will (re)evaluate that later.

For now I have a new report, this time about dev-cpp/glibmm-2.64.5::dantrell-gnome
Code:

>>> Emerging (19 of 109) dev-cpp/glibmm-2.64.5::dantrell-gnome
 * glibmm-2.64.5.tar.xz BLAKE2B SHA512 size ;-) ...                                                                                                                                                                                    [ ok ]
 * Using python3.10 to build
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking glibmm-2.64.5.tar.xz to /var/tmp/portage/dev-cpp/glibmm-2.64.5/work
>>> Source unpacked in /var/tmp/portage/dev-cpp/glibmm-2.64.5/work
>>> Preparing source in /var/tmp/portage/dev-cpp/glibmm-2.64.5/work/glibmm-2.64.5 ...
>>> Source prepared.
>>> Configuring source in /var/tmp/portage/dev-cpp/glibmm-2.64.5/work/glibmm-2.64.5 ...
 * abi_x86_64.amd64: running multilib-minimal_abi_src_configure
meson setup --libdir lib64 --localstatedir /var/lib --prefix /usr --sysconfdir /etc --wrap-mode nodownload --build.pkg-config-path /var/tmp/portage/dev-cpp/glibmm-2.64.5/temp/python3.10/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig --pkg-config-path /var/tmp/portage/dev-cpp/glibmm-2.64.5/temp/python3.10/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig --native-file /var/tmp/portage/dev-cpp/glibmm-2.64.5/temp/meson.x86_64-pc-linux-gnu.amd64.ini --buildtype plain -Dmaintainer-mode=true -Dwarnings=min -Dbuild-deprecated-api=true -Dbuild-documentation=false -Ddebug-refcounting=false -Dbuild-examples=false /var/tmp/portage/dev-cpp/glibmm-2.64.5/work/glibmm-2.64.5 /var/tmp/portage/dev-cpp/glibmm-2.64.5/work/glibmm-2.64.5-abi_x86_64.amd64
The Meson build system
Version: 0.60.3
Source dir: /var/tmp/portage/dev-cpp/glibmm-2.64.5/work/glibmm-2.64.5
Build dir: /var/tmp/portage/dev-cpp/glibmm-2.64.5/work/glibmm-2.64.5-abi_x86_64.amd64
Build type: native build
Project name: glibmm
Project version: 2.64.5
C++ compiler for the host machine: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++ (gcc 11.2.1 "x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++ (Gentoo 11.2.1_p20220115 p4) 11.2.1 20220115")
C++ linker for the host machine: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++ ld.bfd 2.37
Host machine cpu family: x86_64
Host machine cpu: x86_64
Program python3 found: YES (/usr/bin/python3.9)
Found pkg-config: /usr/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-pkg-config (1.8.0)
Run-time dependency sigc++-2.0 found: YES 2.10.8
Run-time dependency glib-2.0 found: YES 2.66.8
Run-time dependency gobject-2.0 found: YES 2.66.8
Run-time dependency gmodule-2.0 found: YES 2.66.8
Run-time dependency gio-2.0 found: YES 2.66.8
Run-time dependency gio-unix-2.0 found: YES 2.66.8
Program mm-common-get found: NO

../glibmm-2.64.5/meson.build:135:2: ERROR: Problem encountered: mm-common-get not found. mm-common >= 1.0.0 is required.

I tried installing mm-common, but >= 1.0.0 is masked it seems.
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonvanderveldt wrote:
Sorry for the silence after your last reply, been a bit busy. Thanks for taking the time to type the additional explanation.

No problem, I know how that is. :)

simonvanderveldt wrote:
I'm considering switching back to gentoo's provided GNOME mostly to be more "upstream", I don't need multiple versions and I expect I'd be able to just apply some patches in case they impact me. Anyway, will (re)evaluate that later.

I know how this is too. :wink:

I have actually simultaneously been working on GNOME 40-42 and except for forward-porting my patchset and a QA check, everything can be pushed live.

When that happens, I will be starting Part 5 of the support thread early and making it even more obvious that everyone should just use GNOME as provided by Gentoo unless they know why not to.

simonvanderveldt wrote:
For now I have a new report, this time about dev-cpp/glibmm-2.64.5::dantrell-gnome [...]

I'll be looking into this shortly.

simonvanderveldt wrote:

This was keyword masked for testing since nothing previously pulled it in.

I have since stabilized it while working on something unrelated. This change will go live after I review a couple things, stay tuned.
simonvanderveldt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
simonvanderveldt wrote:
For now I have a new report, this time about dev-cpp/glibmm-2.64.5::dantrell-gnome [...]

I'll be looking into this shortly.

simonvanderveldt wrote:

This was keyword masked for testing since nothing previously pulled it in.

I have since stabilized it while working on something unrelated. This change will go live after I review a couple things, stay tuned.

Perfect!

I have one additional question, I have an application (bottles) that requires libhandy >=1.4, this is stable in ::gentoo but not (yet) in the overlay. Any chance it could be bumped as well?
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonvanderveldt wrote:
I have one additional question, I have an application (bottles) that requires libhandy >=1.4, this is stable in ::gentoo but not (yet) in the overlay. Any chance it could be bumped as well?

That was stabilized while working on something unrelated too. :lol:

I just have to double check that it's allowed through for GNOME 3.38 and do some quick QA. I got this.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
... and making it even more obvious that everyone should just use GNOME as provided by Gentoo unless they know why not to.

Remember when I suggested to rename this thread?
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonvanderveldt wrote:
Perfect!

Sync up and you should be good to go.
simonvanderveldt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
simonvanderveldt wrote:
Perfect!

Sync up and you should be good to go.

All working again, bottles/libhandy-1.4.0 is also working.
Thanks again!
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
I have actually simultaneously been working on GNOME 40-42 and except for forward-porting my patchset and a QA check, everything can be pushed live.

Since the initial QA check is done, it's time for a micro-status update:

Of the major issues brought up last time, the following were expanded and addressed:
leaving (to prevent future breakage from EAPI removals):
  • Automating the move from EAPI 6 & 7 to EAPI 8.
Additionally, even though every available GNOME release version currently still builds, quite a few have had their life cycles adjusted. Both the date they were last built and their current life cycle can be found in the project overview.

During the next session, I'll be assessing and/or forward-porting my patchset before pushing everything live.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topic Continued in Part 5

Dantrell's GNOME Without Systemd Project (Part 5)

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: