Noob questions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manmadegod
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: Noob questions Reply with quote

Im thinking about reinstalling gentoo because i think i messed up on this recent one.

list of questions
1.When i install gaming-sources 2.40.22 after install is done can i upgrade to gaming-sources 2.6? And how do i upgrade my kernel to 2.6?
2.when i do emerge -k nvidia-kernel during install is that the same as emerge nvidia-glx and emerge nvidia-kernel? or just skip emerge -k nvidia-kernel and do emerge nvidia-glx/nvidia-kenrel after install so my nvidia drivers be updated?
3.does 2.6 kernal have alsa already built in? do i need emerge emu10k1 during install or after?
4.after install done do i emerge sync than emerge -u world?
5. what does emerge -u world exactly do? does it add the all the extra packages that cd2 didnt have like xine and media plugins and such?
6.after a kernel upgrade do i need to emerge my nvidia drivers and sound drivers again and reconfigure my xfree86config file again?
and also till grub to boot 2.6?

i know these maybe dumb question that because im still a linux noob. I only started using linux about 2 weeks ago using redhat learning all commands and downloading from cvs and make and install and learning to config xfree86 file and such.

I got gentoo installed but i dont fully understand something so i think if i do another install i would know exactly how my system working.
floffe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob questions Reply with quote

manmadegod wrote:
Im thinking about reinstalling gentoo because i think i messed up on this recent one.

list of questions
1.When i install gaming-sources 2.40.22 after install is done can i upgrade to gaming-sources 2.6? And how do i upgrade my kernel to 2.6?
2.when i do emerge -k nvidia-kernel during install is that the same as emerge nvidia-glx and emerge nvidia-kernel? or just skip emerge -k nvidia-kernel and do emerge nvidia-glx/nvidia-kenrel after install so my nvidia drivers be updated?
3.does 2.6 kernal have alsa already built in? do i need emerge emu10k1 during install or after?
4.after install done do i emerge sync than emerge -u world?
5. what does emerge -u world exactly do? does it add the all the extra packages that cd2 didnt have like xine and media plugins and such?
6.after a kernel upgrade do i need to emerge my nvidia drivers and sound drivers again and reconfigure my xfree86config file again?
and also till grub to boot 2.6?

1. Tou have to get the 2.6 kernel sources and config it again, but yes, you can do that. I think the gaming-sources have been unstable for some week, and there is not a gaming-sources for 2.6 yet. It probably will be sometime early next year though.
2. In the nvidia package I think it says you should emerge -k nvidia-kernel after every kernel recompile.
3. Yes, 2.6 has alsa. And I think you should be able to compile emu10k1 into the kernel or as a module. As i don't run 2.6 yet, I am not sure though.
4. If you did the install from the CDs, that would be a good idea. But if you downloaded stuff for the install, it shouldn't change anything with doing emerge -u world.
5. As far as I understand, it updates the packages on your system if there are mewr versions of them. No, it should not install anything new unless it's a dependency. Do a man emerge for more info (RTFM)
6. It depends on what the change is. If you go from 2.4.xx to 2.6 it would probably be a good idea. But if it's just from 2.4.22 to 2.4.23 it probably would not be necessary. The xf86conf should be able to work anyway, unless there is a major change in the (graphics) drivers. The grub should be changed, yes, and it is highly recommended to keep the old kernel until you are sure that the new one functions properly. I guess you _could_ just copy the new bzImage or whatever to the current boot kernel, but if something is broken you won't be able to boot.

manmadegod wrote:

i know these maybe dumb question that because im still a linux noob. I only started using linux about 2 weeks ago using redhat learning all commands and downloading from cvs and make and install and learning to config xfree86 file and such.

I got gentoo installed but i dont fully understand something so i think if i do another install i would know exactly how my system working.

If you used genkernel and hasn't compiled your own kernel yet, that's something to look forward to :wink:
kenoki
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. there is no release of gaming sources 2.6 that I am aware of, but you can have multiple different kernel sources in /usr/src/ , and with your grub or lilo conf you can add entries for each kernel.
2. I do not have an nvida card so I do not know for 100%
3. 2.6 does have alsa built in! You need to select your driver and that should be it as far as I understand
4/5 emerge sync will update your portage tree, emerge -u world will update your whole system for the packages that are installed.
6.I dont know about nvidia drivers really, your sound drivers should be setup from the new kernel, your xfree config will need a change for your video driver if the driver is named different I belive. You will need to change grub to reflect your new kernel, I recomend keeping your old entries and kernel incase 2.6 doesnt work well.

May contain errors.
manmadegod
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woot thx alot you guys.. greatly appreciate it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: