Unbeliavably Fast LibreOffice 7.1.2.2 Emerge Time
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jojobinha_2009
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Unbeliavably Fast LibreOffice 7.1.2.2 Emerge Time Reply with quote

I wanted to kind of "step up my game" with Gentoo by avoiding the use of any precompiled binaries -- compile everything to get the full Gentoo experience -- but I was afraid of installing LibreOffice because I read it can take a full day to merge depending on the hardware.

Judging by my past experience with large emerges I thought LO would take at least some 5 hours to compile.

No... I was wrong...

From the initial command to the completion, it took a mere 58 minutes. I went to dinner and my jaw dropped when I saw portage saying the install was over and successful. In just one hour.

I double checked with genlop...

It actually took 48 minutes and 12 seconds. :lol:

Congrats to the LO team for making compiling faster.

Powered by Gentoo for x86_64

======================================================

Seize the day, and remember to have fun!
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd say you should not congratulate the LO team, rather you should congratulate yourself for having such a fast machine...

I'm still using -bin for LO because at least last I tried, the ebuild was pulling in custom deps instead of being able to use whatever binaries were available on the system. Maybe this has changed and this does speed things up...
Perfect Gentleman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1133010-start-0-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-.html
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
I'm still using -bin for LO because at least last I tried, the ebuild was pulling in custom deps instead of being able to use whatever binaries were available on the system. Maybe this has changed and this does speed things up...

Not to derail the subject, but I'm running the full stable app-office/libreoffice-6.4.7.2 (which meets all my office needs) in order to be able to have USE=pdfimport which is awesome. But on my system, i7-2600, 16 GB RAM, it takes about 1 hour 40 minutes, but it doesn't happen that often.
amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I think it's just because it was horrible in the past, but as computers got faster, people still assumed to use the -bin package and never checked...

And packages like
- boost
- octave
- centerim
and apparently
- libreoffice

never get feature bloat like firefox, qtwebengine, and gcc have over the years, so they don't increase in size as fast...

Gosh I used to dread boost building and tried real hard to avoid it much like how people try to avoid qtwebengine today. But now boost doesn't take all that long on my fast machines and even better with distcc.
psycho
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Libreoffice was the most dreaded package to see in my updates list in the old days, for sure: not only because it was an overnight build, but also because it was a kind of celebration-worthy victory if the thing actually built successfully...often I'd come into the office in the morning hoping to catch the last hour or five of a successful build...only to see that it had crashed six hours in or whatever. The no-bloat explanation makes sense: it would probably still take all day for the hardware I was using in those days to build it, but if it's simply been sane enough not to inflate too much over the years, it should build much more quickly now. Looks like it averages just under two hours on this old i5...so yeah, a grunty modern processor should be able to do it in an hour or so.
carcajou
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy... When I started using Gentoo (2007-08 I think), LibreOffice (or was it OpenOffice still?) was the most painful package to merge. Emerge times were insane (back then I think it was a little bit over 5,5 hours) and not really successful every single time. Actually, LibreOffice was one of the reasons I bought cooling pad for my notebook. :lol:

However, I needed office software then and I enjoyed performance benefits which were really noticeable compared to packages on binary distros.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still I wonder what's actually going into web browser code that's making it necessarily so huge.

Office software is huge, but the code seems very stable now. Maybe once people start needing to add embedded video and html rendering to their documents ...

BTW, LFS seems to put build time estimates. It seems that their estimates are starting to become outdated...
Zucca

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Still I wonder what's actually going into web browser code that's making it necessarily so huge.
Only two competing web browser engines. The other had some kind of rewrote... I'd guess both have tons of code waiting to be removed or rewritten.
I wish netsurf was a complete browser some day...
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!

Last edited by Zucca on Mon May 10, 2021 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Browsers are reinventing the operating system, poorly. In their quest to do so, they now try to implement isolation among unrelated sites (so that runaway Javascript on one page does not ruin every tab in the browser), audio/video in/out (because everyone wants their web browser to be able to just turn on the microphone and camera any time the browser decides that would be a good thing to do), and much more. I've sometimes wondered how many critical security bugs would be non-critical if browsers didn't quite so zealously automatically run everything they come across.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH I think tabbing was the most annoying feature. Without tabbing, each browser window would be their own process and the OS can handle it, if a website pukes all over that window, the OS will handle it.

Not so with tabbing, now the browser needs to be its own OS. Even the whole ALSA issue with firefox, seems they gave up and made pulseaudio do the work.

So who's fault is it? Feature bloat or someone who wants to use tabs...
Zucca

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
TBH I think tabbing was the most annoying feature. Without tabbing, each browser window would be their own process and the OS can handle it, if a website pukes all over that window, the OS will handle it.
You've been searching for www-client/surf.

I used to run uzbl. Boy, it was promising - a web browser with unix philosophy. Sadly last news about it are from 2016. :(
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then there's also all the A/V and javascript/html5 code that some browsers don't have.
Maybe it's not the OS-in-userland that's the complete problem here...
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
I've sometimes wondered how many critical security bugs would be non-critical if browsers didn't quite so zealously automatically run everything they come across.
Firefox would have a "killer feature" if they added permissions that allowed or denied access to hardware specifics and anything similar. The browser should figure out how to present the content without the server needing to know identifying heuristics. An "easy" start would be to not allow changing anything, such as microphone or camera. Then possibly a "dummy" option gives the server the "kids toy" that doesn't actually do anything.

eccerr0r wrote:

Not so with tabbing, now the browser needs to be its own OS. Even the whole ALSA issue with firefox, seems they gave up and made pulseaudio do the work.

So who's fault is it? Feature bloat or someone who wants to use tabs...
I've wondered if a "split" browser could help with that. It was what I first thought of when I read about Amazon's Silk.
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Even the whole ALSA issue with firefox, seems they gave up and made pulseaudio do the work.

Not true! Firefox still works with ALSA.
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike155 wrote:
eccerr0r wrote:
Even the whole ALSA issue with firefox, seems they gave up and made pulseaudio do the work.
Not true! Firefox still works with ALSA.
Kinda anyway, it's a Tier-3 backend that mozilla doesn't fix/test anything for unless someone send patches.

Even oss has better support in cubeb (Tier-2), sndio too (which is now supported for firefox in Gentoo!).

Is native alsa still broken on soundcloud? Haven't checked in a while. apulse did work with it either way though.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ultimately nobody wanted to maintain the "OS" "sound driver" that would be needed to multiplex multiple windows' ALSA streams to the main process that will forward to the real "OS". The main reason for wanting to go to PA is that ...well, it pushes the sound handling to something else...and PA is now the "sound" "OS" that will eventually forward to the hardware.

---

Another bloaty piece of software: The Linux kernel itself! Taking longer and longer to build with feature bloat. One would expect that the kernel should stay mostly the same, with the same driver set, but this isn't so... keeps getting bigger and bigger.
Antikapitalista
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>kukibl:
It was most likely Go-OpenOffice then, a huge set of patches on top of OpenOffice proper.
>psycho:
Exactly!

My 1st laptop was an Acer Aspire 5112WLMi with ATI Mobility Radeon X1600, I upgraded the RAM to 4 GiB, I upgraded the CPU to from an AMD Turion X2 64 TL-50 1.6 GHz to an AMD Turion X2 64 TL-68 2.4 GHz; the upgrade was worth it, the speedup was huge, about 1.5-times the old one... previously, it had been like from morning till evening, some 8 to 9 hours, now it was like from morning till late afternoon, some 5.5 to 6 hours... it was not the length of time itself, but the high failure rate that made it so atrocious... and it was surely complicated by the fact that over time my system was rather heavily patched and diverged so greatly that it was becoming a real burden in maintaining it... Like... one of the first things I usually do is patching glibc with strlcpy() and strlcat(), the changed ABI then propagates through glib, etc., so it is like a drug addiction, there is no way back.

I started with Gentoo in the autumn of 2010, roughly around the time when OpenOffice developers rebelled against the Oracle steering and founded the Document Foundation... and I shamefully admit that I eventually gave up and installed openoffice-bin. Oh, it was such a relieving experience when I could launch whichever part of OpenOffice I wanted--be it Writer, Calc, Draw, Impress, Base--almost instantly!
And I never went back!

(And I normally did not fear long build times, I was still privately maintaining Mozilla Sunbird, long after Mozilla abandoned it...)[/url]
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: