Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
/sbin/runscript.sh : line 27 :/var/.../softlevel no such...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCMN
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:48 am    Post subject: /sbin/runscript.sh : line 27 :/var/.../softlevel no such... Reply with quote

during an emerge -Du world , my system start becoming very very slow.After a while all application were kill because the system was out of memory.

i had no other choice than rebooting.

but this message come up during the boot sequence

/sbin/runscript.sh : line 27 :/var/lib/init.d/softlevel no such file or directory.

so i decide to boot with the cd and understand.I found an init_old.d and replace my actual init.d i was able to reboot .I thought i was out of trouble.When i decide to finish my 'emerge -Du world'.

And the problem append again .The problem now i don't have the original init_old.d so i'm stuck here ;without softlevel in my /var/.../init.d/ and a runscript.sh who overflow my memory.

8O <hummm HELP!!!
RCMN
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

help i don't want reinstall, after 6 month of happyness :D .

what should i do ??? :D
undertoe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

99% of the time this should fix your problem

echo default > /var/lib/init.d/softlevel
stalcair
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:19 am    Post subject: that 1% seems rather large Reply with quote

I have been playing around with this for 2 days. Perhaps I can clone myself and one does Googling, the other searches here, the other plays around with various settings, and the last tries different kernel configurations.

I didn't develop this problem on my home computer (an a7n8x) but on an eServer xSeries 305 I get a rather nasty variant of what is referred to (yet strangly never really fixed) as "the depscan problem"

Note that this may be another issue that is causing the depscan issue, but I am at a loss now.

My system and setup attempts:
lvm2
love-sources (multiple ones in the 2.6.5 series)
UDEV, no devfs (using the gentoo=nodevfs kernel option from grub)
2.4.22 (or what is the current stable version) AND 2.6.4 linux-headers
stable (1.8.6.13) and unstable (1.8.6.13-r1)
manually created /var/lib/init.d/softlevel (with default)
verified that my /etc/rc.conf does NOT have uncommented PROTOCOL lines
/boot, swap and / are all regular partitions
device mapper is compiled in, not a module

I just started building this a few days ago, and have had trouble since I booted it the first time (post LiveCD)

What I have now is a system that does not mount the logical partitions at boot, thus all sorts of nastiness because files can't be found (the /usr, /home, /opt, /var, and /tmp are all lvm2)

I can't even start up sshd, even after the manual creation of /var/lib/init.d/softlevel with "default" and /sbin/depscan.sh is run

If I do run /etc/init.d/sshd after these two changes are made, then I end up with my net.lo re-run (yet it is already there and set to load at boot, per rc-update -s) Also it claims that sshd is started, but yet it is not. net.lo and sshd are then both present (and only them) in /var/lib/init.d/started/

When booting, the ncurses output claims that eth0 is not setup (dhcp) yet it works fine

Other significant rc scripts are as follows:
hotplug boot
net.eth0 boot

Another interesting tidbit is that when I try to start syslog-ng it is as if I have just then spawned a chane in runlevel, my "remaining partitions" are mounted as read-only and such yet that is not really happening that I can tell.

I appologize for no actual logs or dumps, but the machine is currently down and I am running the livecd to try and do everything from a chroot, thus giving me ssh access.

I may have just missed a step in installing either UDEV, LVM2, the 2.6 kernel or anything else but since I have been installing this setup on 3 other computers recently with no problems I am doubting it... then again I am severely sleep deprived and so anything is possible.

I am hoping that if this magically solves itself that someone can help me figure out WHY. One of the things I love about Gentoo is how much "easier" it is to understand the guts of your system... yet here I really would first like to get back to work and then try to figure out the details... that sound odd enough?

Thanks for any information
stalcair
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: this seems to come up a lot, yet is fixed rarely Reply with quote

*tap* *tap*
Hello? Is this thing on?

I've got net access now... so what logs, dumps, etc would be useful here?

As the subject says, if you have had this problem please post what your solution was. If nothing else perhaps there can be a less fragmented area for others with this problem to search for. (especially considering the poor search capability phpbb provides)

I have searched for a very long time and come up with no actual solution. Read: what the cause was, how to fix it (not work around), and avoid it in the future.

search terms used:
depscan
depscan.sh
error
runscript
runscript.sh
softlevel
lvm
lvm2
love sources
love
2.6 (haha, thought I would torture myself with that one)
livecd

and basically combinations of those

Please help me find the solution to this problem, my curiosity is as strong as my need to get back to work on that box.

If the answer is to rebuild, then I will put Suse on now and try later. Gentoo is not the 20 minute setup distro, but I have been working on this for many days now and perhaps I should stop being stubborn?

Again, please post your knowledge here... the forums are pointless if people do not put what is in their head onto them.
invis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem and what worked for me was updating hotplug to hotplug-20040105

... unfortunately I still get errors with hotplug segfaulting.. not sure why.
Decibels
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get that same error as of recently:

/sbin/runscript.sh : line 27 :/var/lib/init.d/softlevel no such file or directory.

Looks like a timing issue, because boots up fine and everything works. The file is also there and has default in it. Running pure udev system, but no lvm. Guessing that this file is created during boot.

– Steven Wright
snowpatch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same softlevel error along with depcache errors after upgrading to baselayout-1.8.8 and hotplug-20040401. I tried downgrading baselayout, but the thing that worked was downgrading hotplug to 20040329.
Decibels
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From other post have seen, it is beginning to look like the same hotplug you have. I have an earlier version of baselayout 1.8.6.13-r1 and had it awhile.
Did recently get the 20040401 hotplug.

Also put a 'ls -l /var/lib/init.d >> test.txt' in runscript.sh and from the very first one 'softlevel' is there. When have time going to look into it a little further.

– Steven Wright
Nate_S
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem about a month ago, but in my case it was not the fault of the os, but rather it just so happened that my hard drive had a block fail right at that location. reiserfsck --rebuild-tree made it work like normal again
dopey
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran into the same problem last night. Poked around and found out what's causing it. It's caused by hotplug-20040401 I think. It didn't seem to happen with the older version of hotplug and I'm not sure why. However, here's what's causing it for me:
1) I autoload my network modules in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6
2) during boot, these modules are loaded. Due to hotplug support in the kernel, this triggers events when the network devices are added. Once this happens, hotplug calls net.eth0 and net.eth1 (I have two net devices).

Now normally, this isn't a problem, but I have a seperate partition for my /var filesystem. During the boot process, local filesystems get mounted AFTER modules are loaded. The problem occurs because the net scripts are run before local fllesystems are mounted. As such /var/lib/init.d is empty because normally the stuff is populated after /var is mounted. This results in the goofy messages happening. I just ignore them, since it doesn't matter because the net scripts are run as part of the default runlevel anyways.

Hope this makes sense. It might explain what you're running into.
snowpatch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as it being a hotplug issue, I found this bug:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=47111 that describes the same sort of thing.

Like Dopey, I have my network card module loaded at boot. However, the only partitions I have are /boot(not mounted), / and /home.

But what is different between hotplug-20040329 and 20040401?
stalcair
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Got it working Reply with quote

I had a chance to revisit this recently. I reinstalled the system (making about 3 times) but this was before the 1.8.10 baselayout came out and I believe before any changes to hotplug as well.

First, let me say that I tried many combinations of hotplug and baselayout versions with never a good result.

What I found was to perform this action, thanks to Decibels.

Code:
mkdir /dev/mapper
mknod -m 600 /dev/mapper/control c 10 63

After rebooting, lvm2 worked fine thus allowing my usr, var and tmp directories with the important info to be mounted.

In the same thread the solution was found for me is this post. Basically editing /etc/init.d/checkfs with:

Code:

ebegin "CREATING LVM DEVICE NODES (NOT YET UDEV AWARE)"
sleep 6
if [ ! -e "/dev/mapper/control" ]; then
  einfo "/dev/mapper/control not exist, creating it"
  mkdir /dev/mapper
  mknod -m 640 /dev/mapper/control c 10 63
fi   
/sbin/vgmknodes

Code:

ebegin "Setting up the Logical Volume Manager"
#still echo stderr for debugging
/sbin/vgscan >/dev/null

I suspect that the UDEV ebuild will (or has already been) be updated. Time to check on bugzilla I guess.

I hope this helps out any poor soul with the problems I had
dopey
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snowpatch wrote:
As far as it being a hotplug issue, I found this bug:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=47111 that describes the same sort of thing.

Like Dopey, I have my network card module loaded at boot. However, the only partitions I have are /boot(not mounted), / and /home.

But what is different between hotplug-20040329 and 20040401?

Actually, it's https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=46954 that's the same problem as the one described in this thread. 47111 is an entirely different bug that is indepdent of /var being mounted. But 46954 SHOULD only happen if /var is a seperate filesystem.
dswhite42
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Actually, it's https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=46954 that's the same problem as the one described in this thread. 47111 is an entirely different bug that is indepdent of /var being mounted. But 46954 SHOULD only happen if /var is a seperate filesystem.

You're probably right, Dopey, but in case anyone is experiencing the same problems as described in 47111, I've posted a patch that seems to have taken care of the problem for me. Andy Wang identified a problem with hotplug-20040401 that potentially results in /var/lib/init.d/depcache being written to by more than one process (thus corrupting depcache).

The patch forces /lib/rcscripts/awk/cachedepends.awk to write its output to a temporary file first, then renames it to /var/lib/init.d/depcache later. This has taken care of the problems I originally described (https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=47111)

The patch hasn't gotten the blessing of any Gentoo developers (yet) so YMMV... but maybe it'll help someone.
dopey
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dswhite42 wrote:

You're probably right, Dopey, but in case anyone is experiencing the same problems as described in 47111, I've posted a patch that seems to have taken care of the problem for me. Andy Wang identified a problem with hotplug-20040401 that potentially results in /var/lib/init.d/depcache being written to by more than one process (thus corrupting depcache).

The patch forces /lib/rcscripts/awk/cachedepends.awk to write its output to a temporary file first, then renames it to /var/lib/init.d/depcache later. This has taken care of the problems I originally described (https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=47111)

The patch hasn't gotten the blessing of any Gentoo developers (yet) so YMMV... but maybe it'll help someone.

the gentoo developers did bless your fix tonight and baselayout 1.8.11 covers it. Works well :)
As far as the problem described in this thread, it's kind of a goofy one. local filesystems are mounting pretty much right after modules are loaded. On two of my gentoo systems, this is happening fast enough that it's not a problem. it only occurs on my server, which happens to be my slowest system (and the most important system to need a seperate /var filesystem)

p.s. i'm andy :)
sortkatt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the gentoo developers did bless your fix tonight and baselayout 1.8.11 covers it. Works well
As far as the problem described in this thread, it's kind of a goofy one. local filesystems are mounting pretty much right after modules are loaded. On two of my gentoo systems, this is happening fast enough that it's not a problem. it only occurs on my server, which happens to be my slowest system (and the most important system to need a seperate /var filesystem)

I'm running a pure udev with mm-sources 2.6.5_rc2-r1, baselayout 1.8.11 and hotplug20040401 and /dev/mapper is inexistant. You say that these things have been fixed, but I'm still getting the same errors as posted earlier in this thread. Will compiling support for lvm2's device-mapper in the kernel-config fix this problem, or should I just go for a mknod in an appropriate place? My /var is not on its own partition.

The nature of the errors are not consequent, so that I get random errors all the time, so it sort of looks like something that isn't timed (like two programs accessing the files). Sometimes it complains about it /var/lib being a read-only filesystem.

I am threading in deep water here, shoot me if I'm being stupid. I've never used lvm and stuff has worked by magic before. :oops:
snowpatch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the newest baselayout-1.8.11 but it did not fix my problems either. I get errors about /var/init.d/softlevel not there and also errors about /var/lib/ being a read-only filesystem. This is all with hotplug-20040401 and 2.6.4-ck2 with pure udev. Any ideas? Should I just wait for a fix in hotplug?
sortkatt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! Something wonderful happened. The new udev-package is out, and it fixed all my issues. (udev025 I think) Just merge new version and all will be fine. Blissfull ignorance worked out in the end :oops: Been reading up on lvm, seems like a neat idea... Will try to set it up another time.

Emerge -pul udev shows that the nevest version of udev is marked stable :D I would call that quite a fast switch

UPDATE: No it isn't fixed. Just a fluke boot where everything was timed right :(

*waiting for update of hotplug like the rest*
leo.fontenelle
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: /sbin/runscript.sh : line 27 :/var/.../softlevel no such Reply with quote

RCMN wrote:

Maybe it's a problem with /etc/rc.conf or /etc/conf.d/; take a look at this:
kallamej
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also an FAQ for this: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-53821.html

Moved from Portage & Programming to Duplicate Threads.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: