Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
OO.o Doc Ascii FTP Disaster - solution needed urgently.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gazurtoids
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:28 am    Post subject: OO.o Doc Ascii FTP Disaster - solution needed urgently. Reply with quote

Hi all,

I was transferring a bunch of files by ftp. I sent everything over to the remote server before realising it had all gone over in ASCII mode. I then tried to send all my openoffice documents over in BINARY mode... but instead of typing "mput *.sxw", I typed "mget *.sxw" thereby obliterating my originals with the newly borked copy. :oops: :cry:

I now have several OO.o docs (well, zip files effectively), that have transferred via ascii mode so won't open or unpack properly. Is there any way whatsoever that I can recover these documents, even if it's just the content.xml file from the zip? I've trawled google and all I find is a lot of pages telling me (helpfully) in big bold text "Alway transfer zip files in binary mode".

I'm desperate to get these files back if someone can help.
gazurtoids
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More info:

Code:

Archive:  a2.zip
error [a2.zip]:  missing 42 bytes in zipfile
  (attempting to process anyway)
error [a2.zip]:  attempt to seek before beginning of zipfile
  (please check that you have transferred or created the zipfile in the
  appropriate BINARY mode and that you have compiled UnZip properly)
  (attempting to re-compensate)
replace Pictures/100002000000001200000012EA5D6875.gif? [y]es, [n]o, [A]ll, [N]one, [r]ename: n
replace layout-cache? [y]es, [n]o, [A]ll, [N]one, [r]ename: n
file #3:  bad zipfile offset (local header sig):  1164
  (attempting to re-compensate)
file #3:  bad zipfile offset (local header sig):  1164
file #4:  bad zipfile offset (local header sig):  8150
file #5:  bad zipfile offset (local header sig):  9656
file #6:  bad zipfile offset (local header sig):  10879
file #7:  bad zipfile offset (local header sig):  12055

Since the output refers to a bad offset is the problem simply that it doesn't know where to look for the component files? I presume the offsets indicate how far into the zipfile (in bytes?) each file is so is there a way to determine the proper value by trial and error?
gazurtoids
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shameless bump here!

I've been trying to pull the content.xml file out using Archive::Zip in perl but I'm not having much luck. Increasing the offset by 42 (the number of missing bytes) gets the first two files out but some information appears to have been stripped out of the content.xml section so it won't inflate. If I know what the ASCII mode transfer does to the file, would I be able to work out what the missing info is? What is the difference?

Is this even solveable?
abiczo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a little test. I uploaded a file in ascii mode and then retreived it in binary mode. What I found is that the 0x0a bytes were missing.
Since you also reported that some bytes are missing I guess it's impossible to 'repair' your zip files. :(
gazurtoids
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:20 pm    Post subject: thanks anyway Reply with quote

Yeah, I've pretty much given up hope myself now. I was hoping that the missing bytes would be part of a pair that always appeared together, like a CR and a LF being reduced to just a CR or something. Thanks very much for your efforts though abiczo.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: