Horizon Client - Error PANIC: bora/lib/ssl/ssl.c:1952
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reckor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:50 pm    Post subject: Horizon Client - Error PANIC: bora/lib/ssl/ssl.c:1952 Reply with quote

[Moderator note: this post, and only this post, was originally attached to the old and seemingly only tangentially related topic VMWare horizon on gentoo. -Hu]
[Moderator note: merged this post, and only this post, into the newer and previously freestanding repost. -Hu]

Hello all,

As I couldn't find any ebuild for the Vmware Horizon Client for Linux, I decided to download their bundle option (VMware-Horizon-Client-2103-8.2.0-17742757.x64.bundle) from here: https://my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/downloads/details?downloadGroup=CART22FQ1_LIN64_2103&productId=1027&rPId=62297

After connecting remotely to my work PC, I got the following error "Error connecting to the server" from the GUI console.
I ran the vmware-log to generate the log files where I could see that the aforementioned message is coming from this part "E001: PANIC: VERIFY bora/lib/ssl/ssl.c:1952".

There was no error during the installation.

As I couldn't find anything related to it on the internet, I decided to try this out on Fedora33. I followed exactly the same steps and there was no error. I've also generated the same log to compare with the one I got from Gentoo. From what I could check, the only difference was this PANIC error.....

Appreciate any suggestion...

Thanks!

Last edited by reckor on Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:35 am; edited 2 times in total
tomtom69
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you try a different version?
I have VMware-Horizon-Client-2012-8.1.0-17349998.x64.bundle running here on Gentoo (amd64 stable) to connect to my work PC without issues.
reckor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomtom69 wrote:
Could you try a different version?
I have VMware-Horizon-Client-2012-8.1.0-17349998.x64.bundle running here on Gentoo (amd64 stable) to connect to my work PC without issues.

Thanks, I could but it's weird that on Fedora the same version works. I'm sure something is missing.
Btw, my Gentoo is ~amd64, stable :)
tomtom69
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could also try to update, but I do not dare if it possibly breaks my home office connection :-)
I am using VMware Horizon Client (blob) since ~2 years now, updates have never been a problem. However in the beginning I had so install some extra libraries or set some use flags, so I do not know whether it currently works only due to this. In my package.use I find this entry still active for the horizon client:
>=dev-lang/python-3.6.5 sqlite
If libs are missing, this is displayed after the "scan", that can be done optionally at the end of installation. I remember there were some libs missing after first installation, which I had to install manually, but it was easy to do so because they were in the standard gentoo repositories. Maybe Fedora includes different libraries by default so it works there without additional installed libs.
reckor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomtom69 wrote:
I could also try to update, but I do not dare if it possibly breaks my home office connection :-)
I am using VMware Horizon Client (blob) since ~2 years now, updates have never been a problem. However in the beginning I had so install some extra libraries or set some use flags, so I do not know whether it currently works only due to this. In my package.use I find this entry still active for the horizon client:
If libs are missing, this is displayed after the "scan", that can be done optionally at the end of installation. I remember there were some libs missing after first installation, which I had to install manually, but it was easy to do so because they were in the standard gentoo repositories. Maybe Fedora includes different libraries by default so it works there without additional installed libs.

Wow, I didn't know about the scan. Thought it happened automatically during the installation. I'll check the command, many thanks.

And don't install the new version, don't want to break anything over there :)

And python 3.6.5 pretty old...
reckor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomtom69 wrote:

Here's the funny thing, your version works fine but gives some errors during the installation. :wink:

Code:
VMware Horizon Multimedia Redirection (MMR)
   Failed      libgstreamer-0.10.so.0  <<-- although I've installed the gstreamer, the error remains
   Failed      libgstapp-0.10.so.0
   Failed      libgstbase-0.10.so.0

The newest version has no errors, but doesn't work. :x

Many thanks for the suggestion!
tomtom69
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These gstreamer libs are outdated and IMHO not available any more on Gentoo (did not find a -compat package that would provide them). The release notes of version 2103 mention an update to gstreamer-1.0 for multimedia redirection so I assume vmware already addressed these outdated libs:
https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Horizon-Client-for-Linux/2103/rn/horizon-client-linux-2103-release-notes.html
If you do not use multimedia redirection then this will not be an issue (I never used multimedia redirection for home office, so I did not install this option). AFAIK this is only used if you view html5 based videos inside the virtual session.
The ssl error of the newer is somewhat strange, because ssl is provided by the horizon client, so there should be no dependency on the ssl version installed on the system.
reckor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomtom69 wrote:
These gstreamer libs are outdated and IMHO not available any more on Gentoo (did not find a -compat package that would provide them). The release notes of version 2103 mention an update to gstreamer-1.0 for multimedia redirection so I assume vmware already addressed these outdated libs:
https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Horizon-Client-for-Linux/2103/rn/horizon-client-linux-2103-release-notes.html
If you do not use multimedia redirection then this will not be an issue (I never used multimedia redirection for home office, so I did not install this option). AFAIK this is only used if you view html5 based videos inside the virtual session.
The ssl error of the newer is somewhat strange, because ssl is provided by the horizon client, so there should be no dependency on the ssl version installed on the system.

Yeah, no issues with playing multimedia out of my work pc, so I'm fine to continue using the 2012 version.

If you decide to upgrade for any reason, please let me know if it worked on your side. Still curious why on Gentoo I could not make it running.

Cheers

[UPDATE] - After a few minutes using, I realized VmWare was using 100% of my CPU the whole time making my fans working like an airplane. Do you face the same behaviour?

[UPDATE 2] - Decided to reinstall and remove any trace from previous installations (folders, etc). It seems to be ok now... will test during the week and report if something happens again.
tomtom69
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I updated my gentoo installation at work with the new 2103 version (this machine had installed 2012 version). I did not get any error and it worked normally. Scan was also completed without complaints. This machine is also amd64 stable, nearly the same system and configuration as my home PC.
Sometimes I also have the 100% CPU utilisation, mostly after I close the client (about 1 out of 20 times I guess). I then have to kill the vmware-remotemks process which seems to be stuck and consumes one CPU by 100%.
Did you re-install the 2012 version or the 2103 version?
reckor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomtom69 wrote:
Today I updated my gentoo installation at work with the new 2103 version (this machine had installed 2012 version). I did not get any error and it worked normally. Scan was also completed without complaints. This machine is also amd64 stable, nearly the same system and configuration as my home PC.
Sometimes I also have the 100% CPU utilisation, mostly after I close the client (about 1 out of 20 times I guess). I then have to kill the vmware-remotemks process which seems to be stuck and consumes one CPU by 100%.

My Gentoo is not stable (~amd64) but everything works well. I'm using the 2012 version as 2103 remained with the same issue, unfortunately.
Indeed, the 100% happens when you disconnect and then we have to manually kill the process. But this is not a dealbreaker.

Have been using for 3 days without issues, but will have to keep the 2012 for now!

Thanks for sharing again.
reckor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomtom69 wrote:

Hi again,

I'm getting 100% of CPU utilisation every time I disconnect. It's a constant behaviour.

Best
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: