Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoober420 wrote:
i narrowed down what package was pulling xorg-server specifically, and its wlroots-9999. also, its a dependency for "0.13" and "0.14" version of wlroots. are you using "emerge -Cav" to force uninstall xorg-server and xorg-drivers since its required by wlroots?

i also managed to get xorg-server to install without xorg-drivers by using the -xorg flag. rebuilding with xorg-drivers, xf86-video-ati, and xf86-video-amdgpu uninstalled and -xorg globally set still produces a black screen for vulkan games.

xorg is not required by wlroots, xwayland is, which you get with the wayland flag to xorg-server.
with <xorg-server-1.20.11-r1 you get xwayland from xorg-server tarball, with the -r1 release, it pulls in xwayland (standalone) instead.

If the only use flags you have set for xorg-server are (ipv6, udev, wayland, -xorg) then xorg-server does not get built only xwayland.

And if you don't have "xorg use flag" set then you won't pull in xorg-drivers, etc.

As far as the black screen and vulkan, that depends on your hardware, the kernel version, the mesa version and the game itself.
The Main Man
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but if he wants to remove xorg-server (and I think he does) then the custom ebuild for wlroots is needed.
shoober420
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:

xorg is not required by wlroots, xwayland is, which you get with the wayland flag to xorg-server.
with <xorg-server-1.20.11-r1 you get xwayland from xorg-server tarball, with the -r1 release, it pulls in xwayland (standalone) instead.

If the only use flags you have set for xorg-server are (ipv6, udev, wayland, -xorg) then xorg-server does not get built only xwayland.

And if you don't have "xorg use flag" set then you won't pull in xorg-drivers, etc.

As far as the black screen and vulkan, that depends on your hardware, the kernel version, the mesa version and the game itself.

you can see on line 36 in the wlroots-9999 ebuild that specifically "xorg-server" is requested.

https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/gui-libs/wlroots/wlroots-9999.ebuild#n36

thus a chain reaction dependency tree starts with now xorg-server-1.20.11-r1 requesting xwayland on line 94

https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/x11-base/xorg-server/xorg-server-1.20.11-r1.ebuild#n94

fortunately, xorg-server 9999 doesnt have a forced dependency on xwayland anywhere in the ebuild

https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/x11-base/xorg-server/xorg-server-9999.ebuild

so if you are on stable, both xorg-server AND xwayland get installed side by side

ive since then been tweaking a xorg-server package and changing build options in the hopes that a miracle with will draw vulkan games again.

i couldnt help but remember how i could build xorg-server without xorg support, and leave plain xwayland enabled. im hoping that the tarball that the gentoo xwayland fetches already has xorg disabled, since theres no build option in the ebuild that disables xorg, which is what makes xwayland truly standalone.

https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/x11-base/xwayland/xwayland-21.1.1-r1.ebuild

you can see the arch aur xwayland package disables xorg build flag, so its truly a standalone xwayland server.

https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree/PKGBUILD?h=xorg-xwayland-git#n52

i decided to make my own xorg-server package customized for radeon/sway.

https://github.com/shoober420/shoober420-overlay/blob/main/x11-base/xorg-server-radeon/xorg-server-9999.ebuild

i still black screen for vulkan, but i feel im getting closer now

Last edited by shoober420 on Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoober420 wrote:
Anon-E-moose wrote:

you can see on line 36 in the wlroots-9999 ebuild that specifically "xorg-server" is requested.

It says "x11-base/xorg-server[wayland]" which translates to the xorg-server package WITH the wayland USE FLAG enabled, in other words give me Xwayland.
It doesn't say it needs the xorg flag WHICH WOULD PULL IN the xorg-server and the drivers and give you Xorg.

Quote:
thus a chain reaction dependency tree starts with now xorg-server-1.20.11-r1 requesting xwayland on line 94

:roll:

I've explained it twice and you simply refuse to get it.

xorg-server is a package that produces several different X servers, among them Xorg and Xwayland. Each of which is independent of the other. In other words you can have just one or all of them.

Edit to add: as far as trouble with vulkan, grabbing the git version of xorg-server, probably isn't the best answer.
What happens if you run the latest mesa (21.1.3)?

Last edited by Anon-E-moose on Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
shoober420
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:

It says "x11-base/xorg-server[wayland]" which translates to the xorg-server package WITH the wayland USE FLAG enabled, in other words give me Xwayland.
It doesn't say it needs the xorg flag WHICH WOULD PULL IN the xorg-server and the drivers and give your Xorg.

it pulls xorg-server and forces the wayland flag enabled on it, which then also fetches xwayland, if youre on stable. that doesnt happen if you use xorg-server-9999. if youre on stable, both xorg-server and xwayland get installed at the same time.

the xorg flag pulls in the xorg-drivers package, and xf86-video-ati/amdgpu, but wlroots will still pull xorg-server+xwayland if youre on stable
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoober420 wrote:
Anon-E-moose wrote:

It doesn't say it needs the xorg flag WHICH WOULD PULL IN the xorg-server and the drivers and give your Xorg.

it pulls xorg-server and forces the wayland flag enabled on it, which then also fetches xwayland, if youre on stable. that doesnt happen if you use xorg-server-9999. if youre on stable, both xorg-server and xwayland get installed at the same time.

You still don't get it.
Do you think Xwayland from xorg-server is somehow different than standalone Xwayland (which came from xorg-server w/patches for lots of new stuff)???

Yes, wlroots wants Xwayland, well, it technically doesn't require it, but people start whining when their X apps don't work without it.
So yes, the ebuild says it wants the Xwayland binary.

Whether you want an old version ie stable xorg-server, an arch version, which is moving to use the separate Xwayland binary, or the git (bleeding edge) version is up to you.

Quote:
the xorg flag pulls in the xorg-drivers package, and xf86-video-ati/amdgpu, but wlroots will still pull xorg-server+xwayland if youre on stable

wlroots has always asked for xorg-server[wayland] which produces the Xwayland binary. Do you understand this???
You could always produce xorg AND/OR xwayland it depends on the use flags you have set. Do you understand this???
shoober420
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wlroots wants xorg-server with the wayland use flag set, not the literal xwayland package, which gets pulled in naturally. it wants/needs both packages technically if you want X support (on stable)
The Main Man
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told you in my previous post, you need custom ebuild for wlroots to change that.

But I'm afraid that all won't solve your problem, it's much deeper, you messed up some use flags most likely.
In make.conf have both X and wayland, and vulkan as well, check your package.use what you have set there, but I guess the problem is in mesa, what flags you have set for it ?
Here's mine
Code:
$ equery uses mesa
[ Legend : U - final flag setting for installation]
[        : I - package is installed with flag     ]
[ Colors : set, unset                             ]
 * Found these USE flags for media-libs/mesa-21.1.3:
 U I
 + + X                    : Add support for X11
 - - abi_x86_32           : 32-bit (x86) libraries
 + + classic              : Build drivers based on the classic architecture.
 - - d3d9                 : Enable Direct 3D9 API through Nine state tracker. Can be used together with patched wine.
 - - debug                : Enable extra debug codepaths, like asserts and extra output. If you want to get meaningful backtraces see https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Quality_Assurance/Backtraces
 + + dri3                 : Enable DRI3 support.
 + + egl                  : Enable EGL support.
 + + gallium              : Build drivers based on Gallium3D, the new architecture for 3D graphics drivers.
 + + gbm                  : Enable the Graphics Buffer Manager for EGL on KMS.
 - - gles1                : Enable GLESv1 support.
 + + gles2                : Enable GLESv2 support.
 + + llvm                 : Enable LLVM backend for Gallium3D.
 + + lm-sensors           : Enable Gallium HUD lm-sensors support.
 - - opencl               : Enable the Clover Gallium OpenCL state tracker.
 - - osmesa               : Build the Mesa library for off-screen rendering.
 - - test                 : Enable dependencies and/or preparations necessary to run tests (usually controlled by FEATURES=test but can be toggled independently)
 - - unwind               : Add support for call stack unwinding and function name resolution
 - - vaapi                : Enable Video Acceleration API for hardware decoding
 - - valgrind             : Compile in valgrind memory hints
 + + vdpau                : Enable the VDPAU acceleration interface for the Gallium3D Video Layer.
 - - video_cards_i915     : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for Intel i915 video cards
 - - video_cards_i965     : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for Intel i965 video cards
 - - video_cards_intel    : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for Intel video cards
 - - video_cards_iris     : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for Intel video cards Gen8 / Broadwell or newer
 - - video_cards_nouveau  : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build reverse-engineered driver for nvidia cards
 - - video_cards_r100     : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build only r100 based chips code for radeon
 - - video_cards_r200     : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build only r200 based chips code for radeon
 - - video_cards_r300     : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build only r300, r400 and r500 based chips code for radeon
 - - video_cards_r600     : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build only r600, r700, Evergreen and Northern Islands based chips code for radeon
 - - video_cards_radeon   : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for ATI radeon video cards
 + + video_cards_radeonsi : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build only Southern Islands based chips code for radeon
 - - video_cards_virgl    : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for virgil (virtual 3D GPU)
 - - video_cards_vmware   : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for vmware video cards
 + + vulkan               : Enable Vulkan drivers
 + + vulkan-overlay       : Build vulkan-overlay-layer which displays Frames Per Second and other statistics
 + + wayland              : Enable support for dev-libs/wayland
 - - xa                   : Enable the XA (X Acceleration) API for Gallium3D.
 - - xvmc                 : Enable the XvMC acceleration interface for the Gallium3D Video Layer.
 - - zink                 : Enable the Zink OpenGL-over-Vulkan Gallium driver
 + + zstd                 : Enable support for ZSTD compression

Last edited by The Main Man on Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebuilds migration will likely wait until both xwayland and -r1 are stable.

Using split xwayland is very new right now and still due for some changes (Edit: new version soon'ish too -- there's a release candidate that should allow nvidia acceleration, whereas xorg-server pretty much never do releases).
shoober420
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kajzer wrote:
I told you in my previous post, you need custom ebuild for wlroots to change that.

yes, but instead of editing the wlroots ebuild, i opted for editing the xorg-server ebuild instead since i wanted to make some tweaks anyway.

i agree, its either a use flag fiasco or vulkan packages need to be stable to work correctly. i had vkcube working before, which bugs me so bad.

heres my mesa use flags:
Code:

@gentoo:~$ equery uses mesa                                                                                                                                                                   
 * Found these USE flags for media-libs/mesa-9999:
 U I
 + + X                    : Add support for X11
 + + abi_x86_32           : 32-bit (x86) libraries
 - - classic              : <unknown>
 - - d3d9                 : <unknown>
 - - debug                : Enable extra debug codepaths, like asserts and extra output. If you want to get meaningful backtraces see
                            https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Quality_Assurance/Backtraces
 + + dri3                 : <unknown>
 + + egl                  : <unknown>
 + + gallium              : <unknown>
 + + gbm                  : <unknown>
 - - gles1                : <unknown>
 + + gles2                : <unknown>
 + + llvm                 : <unknown>
 - - lm-sensors           : Add linux lm-sensors (hardware sensors) support
 - - opencl               : <unknown>
 - - osmesa               : <unknown>
 - - test                 : Enable dependencies and/or preparations necessary to run tests (usually controlled by FEATURES=test but can be toggled independently)
 - - unwind               : Add support for call stack unwinding and function name resolution
 - - vaapi                : Enable Video Acceleration API for hardware decoding
 - - valgrind             : <unknown>
 - - vdpau                : Enable the Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix acceleration interface
 - - video_cards_i915     : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for Intel i915 video cards
 - - video_cards_i965     : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for Intel i965 video cards
 - - video_cards_intel    : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for Intel video cards
 - - video_cards_iris     : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for Intel video cards Gen8 / Broadwell or newer
 - - video_cards_nouveau  : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build reverse-engineered driver for nvidia cards
 - - video_cards_r100     : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build only r100 based chips code for radeon
 - - video_cards_r200     : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build only r200 based chips code for radeon
 - - video_cards_r300     : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build only r300, r400 and r500 based chips code for radeon
 - - video_cards_r600     : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build only r600, r700, Evergreen and Northern Islands based chips code for radeon
 - - video_cards_radeon   : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for ATI radeon video cards
 + + video_cards_radeonsi : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build only Southern Islands based chips code for radeon
 - - video_cards_virgl    : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for virgil (virtual 3D GPU)
 - - video_cards_vmware   : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for vmware video cards
 + + vulkan               : <unknown>
 - - vulkan-overlay       : <unknown>
 + + wayland              : Enable dev-libs/wayland backend
 - - xa                   : <unknown>
 - - xvmc                 : <unknown>
 + + zink                 : <unknown>
 + + zstd                 : Enable support for ZSTD compression
@gentoo:~$

Last edited by shoober420 on Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Main Man
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I don't know what zink does, maybe try without that use flag

for vkcube you need >=181 of vulkan-tools, otherwise it doesn't work for me either, maybe you forgot info about that
I made a bug report about that few hours ago btw
shoober420
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zink has no effect on the blackscreen unfortunately

i meant official stable (which is 182 or 183 now?), not gentoo stable lolol, so i found something that i really think is it. libdrm wasnt compiled with libkms flag. and i think kms is needed for kernel video things, so im rebuilding my graphics layer and seeing if libkms fixes it

dang it didnt work. im really running out of ideas. if i install flatpak-proton-ge and it works, i guess that means its not my system settings then right? so maybe we could narrow it down if flatpak-proton-ge works?

could i also see your use flag set for libdrm?

Last edited by shoober420 on Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Main Man
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think installing proton from flatpak would affect regular steam install, try installing flatpak steam first

I don't have kms

Code:
$ equery uses libdrm
 * Found these USE flags for x11-libs/libdrm-2.4.105:
 U I
 - - abi_x86_32          : 32-bit (x86) libraries
 - - libkms              : Enable building of libkms, a library for applications to interface with KMS
 - - valgrind            : Compile in valgrind memory hints
 + + video_cards_amdgpu  : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for AMDGPU video cards
 - - video_cards_intel   : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for Intel video cards
 - - video_cards_nouveau : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build reverse-engineered driver for nvidia cards
 - + video_cards_radeon  : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for ATI radeon video cards
 - - video_cards_vmware  : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for vmware video cards
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kajzer wrote:
zink is essentially a similar idea as DXVK but for opengl, i.e. opengl->vulkan translation.

This could be useful in the future if opengl falls out of use/support and using vulkan is more convenient, possibly in more limited environment like virtualization.

But yeah, most people don't need to enable this, using zink also isn't great on performance (last I know of) and compatibility is still work-in-progress.
The Main Man
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@shoober420,

try to run vkmark, it's a benchmark for Vulkan, does some tests, I just did it and it works, maybe it's just a steam problem for you, since you managed to run vkcube at some point
I had to install two deps for this , glm and assimp
https://github.com/vkmark/vkmark

So, steps to build and run this would be :
git clone https://github.com/vkmark/vkmark
cd vkmark
meson build
ninja -C build
sudo ninja -C build install

then just run vkmark
The Main Man
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ionen wrote:
kajzer wrote:
zink is essentially a similar idea as DXVK but for opengl, i.e. opengl->vulkan translation.

This could be useful in the future if opengl falls out of use/support and using vulkan is more convenient, possibly in more limited environment like virtualization.

But yeah, most people don't need to enable this, using zink also isn't great on performance (last I know of) and compatibility is still work-in-progress.

Interesting, thanks for the explanation.
I just read in the description for the flag that it has something to do with Vulkan and I don't have it enabled, so I thought maybe that's what's causing his problems ...
shoober420
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok...so i dont even...but its working lolol. ITS WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!! w00t!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

so i first tried installing the amdvlk from the guru overlay (https://data.gpo.zugaina.org/guru/media-libs/amdvlk/), which wouldn’t compile, even with default build flags

i then tried to do the amdgpu-pro drivers again, messing specifically with "VK_ICD_FILENAMES" launch option for both steam and l4d2, as instructed on the gentoo wiki (https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/AMDGPU-PRO#Use_AMDGPU-PRO_Vulkan_drivers_for_specific_games), but would have an immediate crash when launching l4d2

everything didnt work lolol. so then, i just reverted everything again like i usually do, removing "VK_ICD_FILENAMES" from l4d2 launch options and my steam script, and launched l4d2 again because yeah, and it worked.

i literally....i dont even

whatever

you know clark griswald from christmas vacation when he was trying to get his christmas lights to turn on and figure out why they wouldn’t work? that was literally me except the l4d2 mr valve guy intro screen.
shoober420
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i actually really really figured out what it was. enabling the "-flto=auto" flag on the mesa package will break vulkan games, and make them black screen. what a wacky thing, i made a bug report on the mesa gitlab about it.

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/5017
Ralphred
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoober420 wrote:
ITS WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!! w00t!!
Gratz, been following this thread closely.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoober420 wrote:
so i actually really really figured out what it was. enabling the "-flto=auto" flag on the mesa package will break vulkan games, and make them black screen. what a wacky thing, i made a bug report on the mesa gitlab about it.

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/5017

They will reject it as, the lto flag is a gcc option, they have no control over whether someone actually uses the flag unwisely.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe. They might also take the position that -flto=auto is a valid build configuration and try to track down what part of Mesa is miscompiled when this is set. We don't know yet whether this is a gcc bug (producing incorrect assembly from a correct C program) or a Mesa bug (invalid C that happens to produce the good result without -flto=auto, and the bad result with it). Without a more minimal test case, I wouldn't rate it as a worthwhile use of my time if I were the developer, but maybe shoober420 will get lucky and a Mesa developer will be bored enough, or determined enough, to hunt this down.

shoober420: could you isolate an easier test for the Mesa developers? Ideally, you could find or make a trivial Vulkan program that just displays a spinning object (like glxgears does for OpenGL) and reproduces the problem.
shoober420
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironically, i made a similar issue on the xorg gitlab about a build option breaking functionality.

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/-/issues/1181

I bisected and provided as much as a i could at the time, but ran into this issue which stalled me from debugging that any further. Unfortunately, that particular use case and my wacky environment make it hard to reproduce the bug for the dev, so i’m going to get legit .core files for him soon now.

Considering it’s reproducible in any vulkan instance, like vkcube, l4d2, and proton+dxvk, i’m sure the mesa devs can reproduce this one easy, unless the issue stems way deeper like the xorg bug i just posted.

Also considering that LTO is being enabled by default on certain distros, like ubuntu, is another reason they would consider.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: