problem installing brave-browser-bin from overlay
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invicta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:18 am    Post subject: problem installing brave-browser-bin from overlay Reply with quote

i tried installing brave browser from the overlay but when i try to emerge it i ge this error

Code:
emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "virtual/libffi".
(dependency required by "www-client/brave-bin-1.26.63::brave-overlay" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "brave-bin" [argument])

and when i try to install virtual/libffi it doesnt show up. i tried installing libffi without the virtual and it did install something but that didnt fix it. thanks for any help
Ralphred
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have two options, create a virtual/libffi by copying another simple virtual ebuild into a local overlay and modifying it (this would be a one time thing), or do it the lazy way, and knowing you have libffi installed just delete the dependency out of the www-client/brave-bin-1.26.63.ebuild, then use ebuild brave-bin-1.26.63.ebuild digest to have portage accept the changes in the file (have to do this every time it gets updated).
invicta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralphred wrote:
You have two options, create a virtual/libffi by copying another simple virtual ebuild into a local overlay and modifying it (this would be a one time thing), or do it the lazy way, and knowing you have libffi installed just delete the dependency out of the www-client/brave-bin-1.26.63.ebuild, then use ebuild brave-bin-1.26.63.ebuild digest to have portage accept the changes in the file (have to do this every time it gets updated).

how would i delete the dependency? i tried vim www-client/brave-bin-1.26.63.ebuild
but it was just a barebones file. thank you for the response
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should go in correct path, try with vim $(portageq get_repo_path / brave-overlay)/www-client/brave-bin/brave-bin-1.26.63.ebuild .
Instead of removing the dependency change it from virtual/libffi to dev-libs/libffi.
Anyway in this way next overlay sync your change will be overwritten, the best practice is to create your local overlay
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the ebuild in the overlay is no longer correct for the main tree, the overlay maintainer needs to fix this in the repository. That would be better overall than expecting every consumer to hack around it.
Ralphred
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems virtual/libffi existed not that long ago (like 2 weeks ago).
I took the liberty of creating a tarball of a local overlay including just virtual/libffi, with the needed portage config, and published it here.
All you need to do is download it, then extract it with
Code:
# tar -C / -xvf local-overlay.tar
HOWEVER this command extracts the tarball to your root file system (/), and you should never* do that unless you explicitly trust the tarball, so creating a directory in your home and extracting it there
Code:
mkdir ~/ralphs-dodgy-overlay
tar -C ~/ralphs-dodgy-overlay -xvf local-overlay.tar
and just copying the bits you need is much safer.

EDIT: Yes Hu a agree, but that's the beauty of gentoo, until such time the overlay is up to date, it's quite simple to hack around it. But more importantly simple to undo the hack afterwards without spending ages searching for orphaned files.
So simple in fact that as long as invicta follows protocol with using --depclean, virtual/libffi will be uninstalled by portage when the overlay's ebuild is up to date.

*because it can overwrite important things
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A merge request is open upstream
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralphred wrote:
EDIT: Yes Hu a agree, but that's the beauty of gentoo, until such time the overlay is up to date, it's quite simple to hack around it. But more importantly simple to undo the hack afterwards without spending ages searching for orphaned files.
Yes. However, past experience has been that many people, when presented with a quick hack to solve the immediate problem locally, will apply that hack and then consider the problem completely solved. They will never seek a proper solution, and the problem will remain live upstream for the next person to stumble over. That is why I make it a point to advise people to get it fixed upstream.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: