[Solved] Grub-prompt with minimal installation
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogge
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:15 pm    Post subject: [Solved] Grub-prompt with minimal installation Reply with quote

Hi,

actually I'm not new to Gentoo and I apprehend I'm not the first with this issue. I setted up a new system and putted the minimal installation iso on a USB stick, plugging in and switch on, but the only thing an I can see is a grub screen. I never used grub and due to the resolution I can't see the full menu (after pressing TAB). But this 'Mimimal bash-like screen' is totally not what I'm expexted at the very beginning of the Installation process. The Handbook doesn't say anything about this case.
It's a modern UEFI board. CSM is off, secure boot, too.

Any idea what's happend? Thanks, rogge.

Last edited by rogge on Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
pietinger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Grub-prompt with minimal installation Reply with quote

rogge wrote:
Any idea what's happend?

Maybe you didnt boot from this stick. Is it a new computer with an empty hd (or ssd) ? If you want to do an UEFI-boot, look into your BIOS if there are some boot-entries => If you put on your stick and go straight into your BIOS, it should show you the stick as bootable.

How did you put the minimal iso onto your stick ? Maybe there was something wrong (if you did a "dd" dont forget to "sync" ...).
rogge
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's fully new box with everything empty. Without the pluged-in stick the MSI board shows me the BIOS with hardware monitoring etc. It also recognize the stick. I was trying the latest → install-amd64-minimal-20210627T214502Z.iso
Unfortunatly I can't trial an older ISO (as showing below), because I can't remove nor override the ISO on the stick :roll:

I used
Code:
dd if=/install-amd64-minimal-20200705T214503Z.iso of=/dev/sdc bs=8192k status=progress && sync
pietinger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe some BIOS-settings ? If you have fast-boot in your BIOS then please disable it. Do you have a CDROM ? If yes, you could try to boot with a CD.

Now, I am also at the end of ideas. (BTW: your assumption there should be no grub is correct)
GDH-gentoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Grub-prompt with minimal installation Reply with quote

rogge wrote:
[...] but the only thing an I can see is a grub screen.

Do you mean a GRUB menu with entries "Boot LiveCD (kernel: gentoo)" and "Boot LiveCD (kernel: gentoo) (cached)"? If yes, then that's confusing, but apparently normal. The recent minimal installation CDs use GRUB when booted in UEFI mode. Selecting the first entry in the menu is equivalent to typing gentoo-nofb in ISOLINUX's boot: prompt as described in the Handbook, and selecting the second entry is equivalent to typing gentoo-nofb docache in ISOLINUX's boot: prompt.

You can add the options described in the "Hardware options" section of the Handbook by editing the menu entry using the e key, and typing them at the end of the linux command.

I don't know why the minimal installation CD doesn't also use Syslinux for the UEFI case instead of GRUB, for consistency.

Code:
# cat isolinux/isolinux.cfg
label gentoo
  kernel /boot/gentoo
  append root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc  dokeymap looptype=squashfs loop=/image.squashfs  cdroot initrd=/boot/gentoo.igz vga=791

label gentoo-nofb
  kernel /boot/gentoo
  append root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc  dokeymap looptype=squashfs loop=/image.squashfs  cdroot initrd=/boot/gentoo.igz
# cat grub/grub.cfg
menuentry 'Boot LiveCD (kernel: gentoo)' --class gnu-linux --class os {
   linux /boot/gentoo root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc  dokeymap looptype=squashfs loop=/image.squashfs  cdroot
   initrd /boot/gentoo.igz
}

menuentry 'Boot LiveCD (kernel: gentoo) (cached)' --class gnu-linux --class os {
   linux /boot/gentoo root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc  dokeymap looptype=squashfs loop=/image.squashfs  cdroot docache
   initrd /boot/gentoo.igz
}
rogge
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pietinger wrote:
Maybe some BIOS-settings ? If you have fast-boot in your BIOS then please disable it. Do you have a CDROM ? If yes, you could try to boot with a CD.

Fast Boot was still on. Unfortunatly my USB is broken now so I have to wait a bit for my next try. The small box doesn't have a CDROM.

GDH-gentoo wrote:
Do you mean a GRUB menu with entries "Boot LiveCD (kernel: gentoo)" and "Boot LiveCD (kernel: gentoo) (cached)"?

No, then I would try to handle it. It looks this https://ibb.co/Qmpn6t7
GDH-gentoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogge wrote:
It looks this https://ibb.co/Qmpn6t7

Ah, the grub> prompt instead of the menu. If it happens again, you can use the ls command to check which devices and filesystems GRUB can see, and, in particular, if it can see the filesystem that contains the kernel and the configuration file.
rogge
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I could try a new USB-Stick in combination with an older ISO (2020) and now all works as aspected. When I'm done with installation, I'll try the mentioned ISO (2021) again. But I think that the problem was the USB stick.

Thanks a lot!
rogge
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, now it works totally fine with 20210627T214502Z.iso. Ergo it was due to the old (and misconfigered?) USB Stick.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: