Upgrade to gcc-10.3.0-r2 cause virtualbox-modules fail buil
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Upgrade to gcc-10.3.0-r2 cause virtualbox-modules fail buil Reply with quote

This is a solution that I would have never figured out on my own. But I did follow the breadcrumbs (Internet searches) to a bug report with the solution.

This morning's updates included update of gcc-10.3.0-r1 to gcc-10.3.0-r2, and a needed emerge @preserved-rebuild that failed on rebuilding virtualbox-modules-6.1.20 with this error:
Code:
cc1: error: incompatible gcc/plugin versions

Quoting from comment #4 at: https://bugs.gentoo.org/642778#c4
Code:
this issue is caused by kernel being compiled by different version of gcc. this fixed the issue for me:

cd /usr/src/linux
make clean
make -j9 bzImage && make -j9 modules && make install && make modules_install
emerge -1 virtualbox-modules

it's not needed to reboot the system, just load the modules and you can run virtualbox.

I did not blindly follow the advice. What I did instead was:
Code:
cd /usr/src/linux
make clean
make && make modules-install

Then manually copy .config to /boot/config-5.4.131-gentoo, System.map to /boot/System.map-5.4.131-gentoo, and /arch/x86/boot/bzImage to /boot/kernel-5.4.131-gentoo.

Finally, I did "emerge @module-rebuild" which rebuilt virtualbox-modules, followed by "emerge @preserved-rebuild" which rebuilt gphoto2, after which I was done.

I did not reboot (will do that later), but I did rmmod the virtualbox modules, then used modprobe to reload them. All seems well, portage is happy, VirtualBox is running virtual machines without issues.
amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice catch, Figuroa.
But your could also use my script from https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1135833-highlight-.html
Just add the make clean, then one command to do all those steps.

I would reboot. It's easier than rmmod then modprobe of all the modules, besides the gcc change might affect other packages besides virtualbox.
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Your script is nice; nicer than mine, which I also don't use.

I write and use use many scripts, but kernel building and installing I do manually, the old fashioned way. I don't even use eselect. Got to exercise that muscle memory.

I will reboot today, probably this evening.

ADDED 7/19/2021: An interesting thing happened when I rebooted. I got an initial BIOS banner, but BIOS would not complete POST. I pulled out the box, disconnected everything, reseated the RAM, connected everything; same issue. Troubleshooting mode. I disconnected everything except video card, and POST got as far as keyboard error. Selectively reconnected devices, and it turns out that my HP LaserJet 3055 printer had crashed and the USB connection was preventing POST. Turn printer off, then back on, problem solved.
amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: