View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
runningnak3d
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Gnome suspend issue [NOT SOLVED - again] Reply with quote

This is so strange that I am not sure if this is the proper place for this, and even if it is, I am not sure what logs to even post.

I am hoping that if I describe the problem, maybe someone out there can point me in the right direction to even start looking.

OK -- so I was running Dantrell's Gnome 3.30 and my laptop would suspend / resume just fine. I upgraded to his 3.32 repo and my laptop stopped suspending.

It suspends OK, and resumes OK except that I don't get a login screen -- I get a greyish / black (could just be the backlight) and can't switch between VTs.
However, if I ssh in, and restart gdm, I lose my session, but I get a login screen.

I figured let's just go with the obvious for now and downgrade back to 3.30. That didn't solve the problem -- it is identical. So I figured I would switch to the new official Gnome 3.30
profile to see if maybe some shared component that Dantrell had forked was the issue. Nope -- same issue.

So, I installed pm-utils to see if I could suspend and maybe get some better logging. Turns out that pm-suspend suspends the laptop just fine, but of course my laptop isn't locked when it is resumed.

That gave me an idea of where to start looking. Some interaction between elogind and gdm. What I found was it looks like elogind tries to delete the session and dbus segfaults.

If anyone has any clue where to start looking, it would be appreciated. I have an nVidia Optimus laptop, but I use bumblebee / nvidia-xrun so the nVidia driver isn't even loaded, and just to be safe, I disabled the bumblebee module as well, so the Intel driver is the only thing loaded.

Just to be clear, hitting the suspend button in Gnome, fails to resume. Closing the laptop lid, fails to resume. Running pm-suspend suspends and resumes, but no lockscreen (ofc).

-- Brian

Last edited by runningnak3d on Wed May 22, 2019 8:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome suspend issue Reply with quote

runningnak3d wrote:
I am hoping that if I describe the problem, maybe someone out there can point me in the right direction to even start looking.

This issue was reported on the support thread and I have been waiting for more feedback but no one got back to me.

Looks like you are it. :twisted:

runningnak3d wrote:
That gave me an idea of where to start looking. Some interaction between elogind and gdm. What I found was it looks like elogind tries to delete the session and dbus segfaults.

Someone else worked around this by rolling back to a snapshot dated ~1 week before experiencing the issue. That, in addition to what you have shared leads to me believe it's related to a specific package that is used by both the project overlays and the main tree.

If you reference the project documentation, there's honestly not that many packages it can be.

From what I have learned so far, I would suggest downgrading elogind, dbus and upower then rebooting:

Code:
emerge --ask --oneshot =sys-auth/elogind-235.5 =sys-apps/dbus-1.10.26 =sys-power/upower-0.99.10.20181114

If that doesn't work, my assessment is that every other possible package except for maybe sys-apps/accountsservice, sys-auth/pambase and sys-auth/polkit can be excluded.

runningnak3d wrote:
Just to be clear, hitting the suspend button in Gnome, fails to resume. Closing the laptop lid, fails to resume. Running pm-suspend suspends and resumes, but no lockscreen (ofc).

For the record, you would get an lockscreen with the ConsoleKit1 implementation but I never forward-ported that patchset for GNOME 3.24 through 3.32 (although honestly, right now I'm a bit motivated to do so).
runningnak3d
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome suspend issue Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:

This issue was reported on the support thread but I have been waiting for more feedback but no one got back to me.

Looks like you are it. :twisted:

Yes, it was me. I never got back because I was never able to narrow it down completely, and I am posting here because I am (currently) not running your profile, so I didn't think it would be appropriate to post in your thread.

Quote:

If you reference the project documentation, there's honestly not that many packages it can be.

From what I have learned so far, I would suggest downgrading elogind, dbus and upower then rebooting:

Code:
emerge --ask --oneshot =sys-auth/elogind-235.5 =sys-apps/dbus-1.10.26 =sys-power/upower-0.99.10.20181114

If that doesn't work, my assessment is that every other possible package except for maybe sys-apps/accountsservice, sys-auth/pambase and sys-auth/polkit can be excluded.

Thanks for the suggestions -- I will try that now and report right back.

Quote:

For the record, you would get an lockscreen with the ConsoleKit1 implementation but I never forward-ported that patchset for GNOME 3.24 through 3.32 (and honestly, right now I'm a bit motivated to do so).

Just to be clear, I am running 100% official Gentoo right now, so this is definitely not a problem with any of your code. upower is a REAL good candidate, so I am going to start with that -- but again, I will report back with my findings ASAP (not big packages so it won't be long).

EDIT: You *ONCE AGAIN* are the man. It wasn't upower, it is either elogind or dbus or the combination (I downgraded both -- and now I will have to upgrade one at a time to see where the problem starts).

I downgraded to:

Code:

emerge --ask --oneshot =sys-auth/elogind-239.4 =sys-apps/dbus-1.12.12-r1

Which are the oldest available in the official Gentoo profile.

I was running the latest which are(were):

elogind-241.3
and
dbus-1.12.14

I am really surprised that more people are complaining about this now that Gentoo officially supports Gnome 3.30 -- and like I said, as a test, I switched to official. Now that I know what the problem is, I am going to start a 3.32 compile going again ;)

Again -- thank you very much. This was driving me insane.

-- Brian
runningnak3d
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I am really confused. I upgraded elogind, and the suspend failure came back, so I downgraded it again, and that didn't solve it.

So, just for the heck of it, I did a full upgrade and then a downgrade, and that still didn't solve it.

So, I am running the exact versions of dbus and elogind that I posted above that solved the problem, but it is back.

With the downgraded versions I don't get the dbus segfault on resume.

So -- back to being REALLY stumped. How can downgrading solve the problem, and then just testing a few upgrades make it come back to the point that downgrading doesn't solve it now.

-- Brian
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningnak3d wrote:
So -- back to being REALLY stumped. How can downgrading solve the problem, and then just testing a few upgrades make it come back to the point that downgrading doesn't solve it now.

I want to say things don't subtly go wrong for no reason but from experience... sometimes things subtly go wrong for no reason. :(

I just recently had an issue that I was able to reproduce repeatedly. I applied a fix then removed the fix but couldn't reproduce the issue again no matter what I did.

Then again, it could also be due to overlooking something.

In your case, I guess this could have happened if you didn't completely restart the affected services or reboot before after upgrading/downgrade and before testing?

I doubt it'd make a difference but maybe removing the packages and then oneshotting them will help.

Lastly, perhaps, upower did matter?

P.S. You could also try downgrading further by activating the generic overlay and oneshotting the versions I suggested (or whatever versions you prefer). Although that doesn't explain why the initial downgrade worked.
runningnak3d
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My procedure was:

Downgrade both elogind and dbus. I skipped upower because there was no older version in the official Gentoo repo (there is literally only one version right now), and I wasn't ready to add yours back yet -- so upower was never touched.

I rebooted since they are boot services -- I didn't want to even risk just restarting them.

When the laptop came back up, I logged in and then immediately suspended the laptop / woke the laptop up -- and viola, I had a login screen. I tested this several times. I rebooted several times. It was working as intended.

Next I did an emerge -1 elogind to upgrade elogind back to the latest version. Rebooted, did the test, and got no login screen.

I restarted gdm to get into my laptop, and then downgraded elogind again back to the version that worked. Rebooted, tested, and still nothing.

I thought maybe they had to be downgraded together (that makes NO sense, but I had to try), so I did an emerge -1 elogind dbus to get them both back to the latest, and rebooted. I doubted it would just magically work with those packages back at versions that hadn't been working, but I tested again just to be sure, but of course no login screen after suspend.

So I rebooted again, and then downgraded both elogind and dbus just like you suggested (and worked the first time) but again, using the oldest versions in the official repo (just as I had done the first time). Rebooted / tested / still no login screen.

I have repeated this several times just to be sure. Also want to be clear at no time were ANY other packages touched.

Lastly, I did remove elogind and dbus completely, disabled xdm(gdm) and rebooted. I then installed the versions of elogind and dbus that were working. I re-enabled xdm(gdm) and rebooted. Still doesn't work.

I am going to enable your repo and downgrade upower now. Even though it wasn't touched there are only a few packages that deal with suspend / resume and upower is one of them.

I am sure once I figure out what is causing this, I am going to kick myself.

Lastly, just because I don't feel like throwing more uncertainty, and don't feel like the long compile, I am going to stay on the official Gnome 3.30 for now. However, if you would like me to post the results to my tests in your thread, I will be happy to since whatever this problem is does affect you as well.

-- Brian
runningnak3d
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got tired of fighting with it for now...

My solution for now was to create a shell script with:

Code:

xdg-screensaver lock ; sleep 1 ; sudo pm-suspend

I added a sudo entry so I can run pm-suspend without a password.

Lastly I installed: https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/37/quicklaunch/ and made a .desktop file to launch my suspend script.

Now I have a quick and easy way to lock / suspend my laptop again ;)

Yes, I know this is a cheesy hack -- but I am at my wits end as to how to solve this.

-- Brian
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningnak3d wrote:
Well, I got tired of fighting with it for now...

Completely understandable.

I'd still love to know what went wrong though (in fact, I think I may have time to test this myself tomorrow).
PF4Public
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone solve this?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: