Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Thoughts on a triple-monitor setup?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:19 am    Post subject: Thoughts on a triple-monitor setup? Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm considering grabbing 3x of these monitors (2560x1440@165Hz over DP 1.4):
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-27-gaming-monitor-s2721dgf/apd/210-axeh/monitors-monitor-accessories

I would also like to have an AMD-based GPU and am open to suggestions. I just took a quick look and saw that the least expensive cards with 3xDP-1.4 outputs were ~$900 USD which seems steep.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,
Nathan Zachary

EDIT: I should mention that I'm not really thinking about doing much gaming other than old console emulation. Primarily just interested in the accurate colour representations, performance, and screen real estate. :)
pa4wdh
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two thoughts i like to share:
As you've seen GPU availability and prices are ridiculous right now. If you can, wait until prices are going down again.

For the displays, if you care about accurate color representation i can highly recommend NEC displays. They have more options to tweak the color representation than i've ever seen on a monitor. They are more expensive though, my 23" was about double the price of other similar sized monitors. Since 23" isn't that expensive in the first place (and i needed only one :) ) that didn't really matter, it might be different for your setup.

My shared code repository: https://code.pa4wdh.nl.eu.org
Music, Free as in Freedom: https://www.jamendo.com
radio_flyer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running three 4K 60Hz DP displays (total 11520 x 2160 desktop) with no problem on gentoo/KDE using an AMD Radeon Pro W5500. I used to have a Radeon Pro WX 5100 that also worked fine with my 4K monitors. Any of the AMD Radeon Pro workstation cards should work fine with your 3 monitors and the open source AMDGPU driver, if your workload--like mine--is primarily CADD and graphics, not gaming. However, be sure the GDDR memory is fast enough to handle 165Hz if you intend to run at that rate. Unfortunately, the COVID / Crypto / Semiconductor shortage seems to be keeping all the higher-end video card prices in the outrageous zone.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all you really care for in a graphic card is the number of outputs, why not just take a one 4k display instead of 3 smaller?
Or even a 4k + regular for a 2 display setup.
Pretty much any video device could handle 2 outputs at the same time, so it should do. As a bonus, with a big, single display you don't get that annoying gap in the middle of your work area, which I personally consider a solid convenience/quality of life feature.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NathanZachary,

That's doing it wrong.

Try a Dell P4317Q or its up to date replacement. You only need one DP output. :)
The 43 means 43" diagonal. There is no space on my desk for a second monitor, never mind a third.

I did need to wall mount it to get the top of the screen low enough to be comfortable.
I didn't pay Dell price either. It was new in a sale for 50% of what Dell were asking.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
pietinger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also a 43" (Acer) monitor and I can tell you: After some weeks working with it you may think "If it would be a little bigger it wouldn't harm" ... ;-)
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pietinger,

I lose a couple of rows of pixels at all the edges because of the viewing angle.
I need to move my head to see them. Its only noticeable on the console.
If the screen were bigger I would lose more.

Of course, a curved (in both axis) screen may help that but then your head needs to be fixed in the 'design eye' position, to borrw a phrase from the avionics industry.

I chose the Dell as I wanted the 'pixel perfect' guarantee. I Used to work on avionics displays and know from seeing hundreds, that you can't unsee a dead dead pixel once you notice it.
So I know that a a dead pixel is not something I could live with.

I did need that 'pixel perfect' guarantee. That's couple of insects, not failed pixels, as they moved about for a few days.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for the feedback so far, and there are some points that I didn't consider. I thought that application-level support for 4K might still be shoddy, but it sounds like that's not the case. So, if there aren't any problems with a triple-4K setup, I might look at these:
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-27-4k-uhd-monitor-s2721qs/apd/210-axlg/monitors-monitor-accessories

As I'm not doing any "advanced" gaming (meaning, only running old console emulators like SNES9x), 60Hz should be just fine. :)

Even though that monitor only has a DP1.2 port, I believe that it still should be sufficient.

I don't think that a single large screen will work for my needs, but I'm open to further suggestions.

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Nathan Zachary
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NathanZachary,

There are two schools of thought on 4k displays.

One, like mine, has a large display with standard size pixels. Everything just works.

The other, is a standard size display with smaller pixels. There used to be some faffing about to make icons and text big enough to read. I don't know how that is today.

I can only just see the standard size pixels, so I don't need a higher pixel density.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
radio_flyer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use three independent displays because I do a lot of software/hardware engineering work. For example, it's nice to have a schematic open on one screen, the corresponding PCB layout happening on the second, and a browser on the third for displaying datasheets etc. I've been running multiple display setups like this for many years.

When I first got the 4K monitors a few years back the experience was a bit rough around the edges due to font scaling, tiny default icon sizes, and a tendency for the screens to swap around on the desktop at times. Almost all of those Hi-DPI and multi-monitor issues have now been fixed on the major desktops (I use KDE). The open-source AMDGPU drivers have been very stable for me, and the OpenGL experience is light-years ahead of where it was a decade ago. Vulkan and Wayland seem to be coming along nicely also, although they're not my defaults yet. There are some toolkits (FLTK for example) where the stable version is still stuck at low-res, but the major toolkits (Qt, Gnome, etc.) now support Hi-DPI displays so most applications do as well.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radio_flyer wrote:
I use three independent displays because I do a lot of software/hardware engineering work. For example, it's nice to have a schematic open on one screen, the corresponding PCB layout happening on the second, and a browser on the third for displaying datasheets etc. I've been running multiple display setups like this for many years.

Fakexrandr
It allows you to split your single monitor into arbitrary workspaces and trick Xorg into thinking each of those is a physical display, therefore window manager behaves in a sane way. E.g. maximizing a window fills a single area.

It's not in portage, so I'm just using some ancient version I installed a long long time ago, hopefully it became more stable over the years (my version didn't handle unplugging the display very gracefully, though it would work just fine again after relogging, and lacked support for multiple profiles which would be awesome for flexibility)
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, radio_flyer, for letting me know about the current state of 4K. I don't use any DE, just OpenBox as my WM. I'll have to do some reading to see if I the jump to 4K might be worth it. Ultimately, it looks like I need to decide whether the increased resolution of 4K panels or the high refresh rate of 2K panels is more important to me. Either way will be an improvement over my current setup. :)
pa4wdh
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once had a 43" 4K monitor ... and i can not recommend it. The screen area is nice of course, but especially the height of the monitor made it less usable, there is just a part of the screen that's comfortable to use. I changed it for a 34" ultra-wide curved screen and while it effectively has less pixels it's much more usable and more comfortable to use. For me the key is that everything is on the same height, with a 43" 16:9 monitor you'll also have to look up/down to see the whole screen.

My shared code repository: https://code.pa4wdh.nl.eu.org
Music, Free as in Freedom: https://www.jamendo.com
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NathanZachary,

Your eyes can't do 60Hz, which is why interlaced TV on a CRT works.
Even though only about half a line on a CRT is actually lit at a time, your eyes do the integration so it appears to be a complete picture.

It also depends on which part of your eye you look at the screen with. The above in true for the central part.
Peripheral vision is much more sensitive to change/movement but we don't use that for looking at displays.
Hence 'interlace flicker' for people in the same room as a CRT TV but not really watching it.

I almost agree with pa4wdh about the usability of a 43" screen. To get it comfortable all over requires careful mounting and any taller would be uncomfortable.
Hence my wall mount, rather than the stand.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Zucca

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pa4wdh wrote:
I once had a 43" 4K monitor ... and i can not recommend it.
I use 43" 4k monitor. I have no problems using it. The pixel size is just right for 100% scaling. The distance from my eyes is little more than my arm's length.

Some people may just prefer other kind of setups or their vision is more suited to other setups. Our eyes are not identical even if we wouldn't need glasses.

That said, the 43" display alone is very close to the limits. With bigger display (there are some 55" ones) I'd need more distance. With smaller the distance would be too small. Two of those 4k displays side-by-side or on top-bottom configuration wouldn't also be comfortable for me anymore. The top-bottom maybe if I would increase scaling on the top display, but that's just waste of resolution, imho. ;)
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My preference would be the 4K monitor, but it seems like there are still numerous scaling problems with Linux. I don't mind sacrificing the screen resolution and going for the 2K gaming monitors, especially seeing as they have 98% DCI-P3 colour coverage and 165Hz refresh rates (although I don't know how much the higher refresh really matters in application). Any thoughts on the DCI-P3 colour coverage or the refresh rates (especially if not doing any intensive gaming)?

Thanks again to all who have given their feedback!
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NathanZachary,

You need to audition a few displays.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to, but that's not an option for me, unfortunately.
Tom_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to buy two 4k screens and new AMD gpu about a year ago. I postponed it for personal reasons and now it's too late : GPU prices have skyrocketed!

I'm thinking about buying a second 1080p screen (so I could keep the same gpu) and buy a new setup in 1/2 years when prices go back to normal, if they do.

@NathanZachary, have you already bought your new screen(s) and gpu ? If you have, what have you gone for ?
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom_,

Yes, I finished my new workstation. I ended up buying the XFX Speedster QICK319 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT and 3x Dell S2721DGF 27" QHD monitors. It's working well for my needs.

Cheers,
Nathan Zachary
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: