[closed] Help uninstalling OpenRC
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garretthoward
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject: [closed] Help uninstalling OpenRC Reply with quote

I am trying to remove OpenRC, netifrc, and elogind from my system so I can run pure SysVinit instead. Is this even possible? virtual/service-manager is required by @system on profile 1. Thank you for any help.

edit:
Sorry for the misunderstanding! I had thought that SysVinit already contained startup scripts and that OpenRC was unnecessary. Thanks for trying to help!

Last edited by garretthoward on Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
cboldt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My impression is that in Gentoo-land, sysvinit and openrc work in cooperation. I suppose in principle you can roll your own service init and stop scripts. These are what sysvinit would call. Openrc provides a framework for a set of scripts and a handful of init scripts. As services are added to your system (nginx jut to pick an example), that package will add a script in openrc style (and a systemd hook too), and maybe add config files in /etc/conf.d and /etc/env.d Gentoo's sysvinit package has just one script in /etc/init.d (bootlogd).

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Sysvinit - "Gentoo's sys-apps/sysvinit package does not install an /etc/initscript file."

There are alternatives to OpenRC and systemd. I'm not familiar with any of them. Considered "runit" for an hour or two, and decided against installing. Web search reveals a number of others - s6, nosh

Edit to add: my systems are OpenRC, and have no elogind. In my /etc/portage/make.conf, the USE variable includes "-elogind"
netifrc is not part of OpenRC or sysvinit, so it too can be removed. netifrc is brought is when USE="netifrc" is in play when openrc is installed.
GDH-gentoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Help uninstalling OpenRC Reply with quote

garretthoward wrote:
Is this even possible?
No. Not on Gentoo. You can't uninstall OpenRC (except to install systemd), but you don't have to run OpenRC.

garretthoward wrote:
virtual/service-manager is required by @system [...]
And this is the reason.

But wanting to run a distribution of [GNU/]Linux without a service manager of some kind is a strange request. No distribution does that. What's even a "pure sysvinit" setup? No even Debian / Devuan has such a setup.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Help uninstalling OpenRC Reply with quote

garretthoward wrote:
I am trying to remove OpenRC, netifrc, and elogind from my system so I can run pure SysVinit instead. Is this even possible? virtual/service-manager is required by @system on profile 1. Thank you for any help.

do you mean SysVinit or SysVrc ? there is a massive difference.
SysVinit is PID1 and OpenRC by default uses SysVinit (you can configure your system to use openrc-init). PID1 is very simple as all it really has to do is reap zombie processes and launch some service init system (sysvrc or openrc).

Now SysVrc is a collection of (poor) sh to bring a system up but it is not available on gentoo
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Help uninstalling OpenRC Reply with quote

GDH-gentoo wrote:
garretthoward wrote:
Is this even possible?
No.

Of course, it is possible. But of course, it is not supported by gentoo.
GDH-gentoo wrote:
garretthoward wrote:
virtual/service-manager is required by @system [...]
And this is the reason.

For instance, one could remove it from the system set, write a virtual/service-manager ebuild in some overlay, and there are some more alternatives.
However, writing init scripts completely on your own is a demanding task which requires a lot of experience and since you have to ask simple configuration questions about gentoo, I do not encourage you to attempt it. What are your reasons for it? If it is about saving disk or memory, you are probably better off with openrc which is fully supported in gentoo.
Leonardo.b
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/bsd-init.txt
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: