systemd - can boot but does not show login prompt
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
murphytalk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:39 am    Post subject: systemd - can boot but does not show login prompt Reply with quote

I installed gentoo with systemd on my Thinkpad laptop.

systemd brought up the system quickly , in seconds. The text was scrolling on the screen as the system was booting, then everything stopped. I waited for a while, worrying it was frozen, then pressed the enter key, the login prompt appeared , and I can successfully login in and use without any issue.

I rebooted several times, the issue persists : the system actually boot up , only no login prompt until I hit the enter key, like it was waiting for some event ...

Did this happen to anyone else ? How to troubleshoot it ?

Thanks.
roccobaroccoSC
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems like the emergency prompt. If it is what I suspect, maybe your root cannot be mounted and you land in the initrd environment.
Are you sure you are logging in to the real system? Can you save files and are they there after the reboot?

If you post the result of "dmesg" and your systemd log we could tell you more. The log can be retrieved like so: "journalctl -xb -1 > /tmp/log.txt"
alamahant
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this also
Code:

systemctl --failed

murphytalk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alamahant wrote:
Try this also
Code:

systemctl --failed

It is clean: 0 unit failed ... actually after I enabled SDDM , SDDM can lunch and bring me to the graphic logon screen without issue, it is only in text mode when the logon prompt won't show after booting , unless I hit ENTER key
murphytalk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roccobaroccoSC wrote:
This seems like the emergency prompt. If it is what I suspect, maybe your root cannot be mounted and you land in the initrd environment.
Are you sure you are logging in to the real system? Can you save files and are they there after the reboot?

If you post the result of "dmesg" and your systemd log we could tell you more. The log can be retrieved like so: "journalctl -xb -1 > /tmp/log.txt"

yes, the system is fully booted only it does not show logon prompt unless I hit ENTER key. After that the logon prompt shows and I can use without any issue.

Actually later I enabled SDDM , SDDM can lunch and bring me to the graphic logon screen without issue. I just disabled SDDM and reboot to text mode again, same syndrome ... I spent the last few days to emerge KDE plasma and my whole desktop apps, I am posting from the very laptop now ...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: