vcron renamed to vixie-cron?!?!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drumgod
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:29 pm    Post subject: vcron renamed to vixie-cron?!?! Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have a system I started an "emerge world" on last night. All my systems have vcron installed. I get in this morning and notice it's giving an error about not being able to add vixie-cron to the dependancies because vcron is already providing cron service. Sure enough env-update does this:
Code:

>>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
 * Caching service dependencies...
 *  Service 'vcron' already provide 'cron'!;
 *  Not adding service 'vixie-cron'...   

I think, hmm that's odd. I look at the new crontab dropped in ._cfg0000_crontab and it has:
Code:

# check scripts in cron.hourly, cron.daily, cron.weekly and cron.monthly
# for vixie cron
# remember to give cron a sighup when updating this file
#
# $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/sys-apps/vixie-cron/files/crontab,v 1.1 2003/12/11 16:19:36 seemant Exp $
#
#
*/15 * * * *    root    test -x /usr/sbin/run-crons && /usr/sbin/run-crons
0 *  * * *      root    rm -f /var/spool/cron/lastrun/cron.hourly
0 0  * * *      root    rm -f /var/spool/cron/lastrun/cron.daily
0 0  * * 6      root    rm -f /var/spool/cron/lastrun/cron.weekly
0 0  1 * *      root    rm -f /var/spool/cron/lastrun/cron.monthly

The old one is:
Code:

# check scripts in cron.hourly, cron.daily, cron.weekly and cron.monthly
# for vixie cron
# remember to give cron a sighup when updating this file
#
# $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/sys-apps/vcron/files/crontab,v 1.2 2002/04/27 21:46:45 bangert Exp $
#
#
*/15 * * * *    root    test -x /usr/sbin/run-crons && /usr/sbin/run-crons
0 *  * * *      root    rm -f /var/spool/cron/lastrun/cron.hourly
0 0  * * *      root    rm -f /var/spool/cron/lastrun/cron.daily
0 0  * * 6      root    rm -f /var/spool/cron/lastrun/cron.weekly
0 0  1 * *      root    rm -f /var/spool/cron/lastrun/cron.monthly

I do a quick "emerge -s vcron" and nothing is found?!?!?
an "emerge -s cron" shows me no "vcron" but a "vixie-cron".

So... I do another "emerge sync". Now "emerge -s cron" shows:
Code:

*  sys-apps/vcron
      Latest version available: 3.0.1-r3
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 49 kB
      Homepage:
      Description: The Vixie cron daemon

*  sys-apps/vixie-cron
      Latest version available: 3.0.1-r3
      Latest version installed: 3.0.1-r3
      Size of downloaded files: 49 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.vix.com/
      Description: The Vixie cron daemon

WTF!?!? an "emerge -p vcron" gives:
Code:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[blocks B     ] sys-apps/vixie-cron ("virtual/cron" from pkg sys-apps/vcron-3.0.1-r3)
[ebuild  N    ] sys-apps/vcron-3.0.1-r3

Just when I think I'm going to start trusting Gentoo a bit more, something goofy happens.

Any ideas on what happened and the best/easiest way to fix this?

BTW on two other systems I updated before this one an "emerge -s cron" showed sys-apps/vcron-3.0.1-r3 installed and no vixie-cron available. After an "emerge sync" they now show both available but vcron installed :(
lisa
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vixie-cron was added to replace vcron. It is the same package it just has a new name to distinguish it from another package called vcron.
drumgod
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um okay,

I have several questions now.

1. So what is the vcron I see now with "emerge -s vcron"?

2. Is that going to go away to be replaced with a new vcron that isn't vixie-cron?

3. If 2. is "yes", when?

4. If 2. is "yes", what is the proper method to migrate from the "vcron" that is on my seven other Gentoo boxes to the "new" vixie-cron?

5. Why did this one box decide to migrate to vixie-cron by itself?

6. Why was this self induced migration unsuccessfull?

7. How do I repaire/finish this unsuccessfull self induced migration attempt?

8. Is there a mailing list for "Upcoming updates that could potentially screw up your system"?

Questions 7. and 4. are the most important to me at the moment...
Followed by 8.

I'm thinking that since the system that tried to migrate itself has installed "vixie-cron", but that all of the service dependencies and init scripts are from "vcron", I should do a "rc-update del vcron default" followed by a "rc-update add vixie-cron default" and then manually remove the vcron script from /etc/init.d?

Would that safely and appropriately clean up this boo boo?
Again, how would I go about it on the other machines (still showing vcron installed)?
drumgod
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh! Okay, I just noticed your link to the dev mailing list archive. That answers the first few questions and sort-of the last. I have no intention of developing for Gentoo but would *really* like to know when this sort of stuff is going to happen. (I got bit pretty hard when the Apache directory structure stuff changed as well.) Is there a list for just that? Or, do I have to filter through all the dev stuff to pull out the change notices?

TIA

EDIT: Okay, double-doh! I just found the mailing-lists list on gentoo.org. I'm not sure how I missed that the first time I looked. :oops: I'm going to try out gentoo-announce and see if that has what I'm looking for.

I'm still hoping for some insight as to the best way to fix/migrate to the newly named vcron package from the old.

Thanks.
zeek
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shudder when I see problems like this.

What good could come out of renaming vcron vixie-cron? Are dcron and fcron being renamed also? No they are not.

Whoever did this needs to learn that endless refactoring of code and directory re-organization isn't progress. All those lost cycles of people figuring out the new format could've been better spent elsewhere.

I love Gentoo, but I've been bitten by similar BS in the past.
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The name 'vcron' is incorrect, and the package should always have been called 'vixie-cron'. The name change fixes this naming bug. 'dcron' and 'fcron' are the correct names for the apps, so no change is needed there.

HTH
zeek
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ciaranm wrote:
The name 'vcron' is incorrect...

Since it is shorthand for Vixie Cron how could it possibly be incorrect?

Next!

dcron -> dillon-cron
app-arch/zip -> app-arch/info-zip
sanity -> insanity
seemant
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:46 am    Post subject: MY FAULT Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

OK, this was my screw up because I got confused after I did the move. Let me explain. vcron is actually vixie-cron strictly speaking. That is to say "vixie-cron" is its proper name. It's not been an issue until I realised that if you look up "vcron" at freshmeat.net you see a visual cron editor of some sort. So the naming "vcron" for "vixie-cron" is clearly incorrect.

Therefore, I decided to move it to vixie-cron (using /usr/portage/profiles/updates/4Q-2003). As part of the move, it fell on me to adjust the installation instructions. Except, I didn't realise how GRP works. Now I do. It turns out that GRP installers get a static portage tree so they still have to do emerge -k vcron, NOT emerge -k vixie-cron because the latter will fail. Anyway, currently both vcron and vixie-cron are in the tree and the updates file has been updated again with the move information.

For any inconvenience caused, please feel free to send me hate mail or set up hate sites about me.

I do sincerely apologise for this kerfuffle.
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:54 am    Post subject: His fault! Reply with quote

seemant wrote:
For any inconvenience caused, please feel free to send me hate mail or set up hate sites about me.

Uhm, didn't we do that already?
drumgod
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: MY FAULT Reply with quote

seemant wrote:
Hi Guys,

OK, this was my screw up because I got confused after I did the move. Let me explain. vcron is actually vixie-cron strictly speaking. That is to say "vixie-cron" is its proper name. It's not been an issue until I realised that if you look up "vcron" at freshmeat.net you see a visual cron editor of some sort. So the naming "vcron" for "vixie-cron" is clearly incorrect.

Therefore, I decided to move it to vixie-cron (using /usr/portage/profiles/updates/4Q-2003). As part of the move, it fell on me to adjust the installation instructions. Except, I didn't realise how GRP works. Now I do. It turns out that GRP installers get a static portage tree so they still have to do emerge -k vcron, NOT emerge -k vixie-cron because the latter will fail. Anyway, currently both vcron and vixie-cron are in the tree and the updates file has been updated again with the move information.

I do sincerely apologise for this kerfuffle.

Hi Seemant (and other developers),

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. I understand the complexities of software development and the logistical challenges it presents. I'm not blaming anyone for anything. I am indebted to you all for taking the time to work on Gentoo. I'm just trying to find a good (uh, easier?) way to maintain a base linux system... The responses so far have left me bit confused still, though.

Seemant:
I (and I'm sure zeek, as well) realize that "vcron == vixie-cron". (Hence the title of the thread :wink:) It's just frustrating when somthing as (seemingly) simple as the name of a package causes a problem. I'm just looking for advice on how to procede from here. "GRP"? hang on a sec... okay, back from a search. That's the "new" pre-compiled binary based install method? I'm pretty certain that has no bearing on my current situaton. I wasn't even aware that there was a binary install method until now. :D

So, I'm back to numbered questions:

1. I *know* I can keep this system running, but what is the best/cleanest/most gracefull solution to my problem? (with an emphasis on continued stability and maintainability.)

2. Was my first solution for this one box (see the end of my second post above) correct?

3. What should I do about the rest of my Gentoo boxes? Is the name of the vixie cron package going to change, neccesitating some sort of migration of my other systems? Or, (due to the mentioned "grp" issues) are both names (old and new) going to contiue to existst?

Thanks again!
seemant
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 7:14 pm    Post subject: vcron->vixie-cron Reply with quote

Hi drumgod

OK, the situation as it stands currently:

root sephora # grep vcron /usr/portage/profiles/updates/4Q-2003
move sys-apps/vcron sys-apps/vixie-cron

So, whenever you emerge sync next, your boxes will automatically migrate to vixie-cron from vcron. What will remain, however, is the /etc/init.d/vcron script, which you'd be better off to rename to vixie-cron.

As a matter of policy, we don't touch files in /etc so I can't do this move automatically for you, however, I am seriously considering making the exception in this case.

If you already have vcron emerged and do emerge vixie-cron, you'll get the messages you saw. In that case, you'll have both a vixie-cron initscript and a vcron initscript in /etc/init.d So, first:

rc-update del vcron default
rm -f /etc/init.d/vcron
rc-update add vixie-cron default

Hope that answers your questions
mOjO_420
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI... part of the fallout from this is that i now get this:
Code:

>>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
 * Caching service dependencies...
 *  Service 'vixie-cron' already provide 'cron'!;
 *  Not adding service 'vcron'...                                                                               
>>> No outdated packages were found on your system.

at the end of most of my emerge's (none of which even require or have anything to do with cron) and when i run rc-update. everyting still works fine so it is of course no crisis.. just causing me some confusion... i will try the above mentioned moving of files in the portage tree and will rename the /etc/init.d/vcron to vixie-cron. wont i also have to do an inject or something so portage recognizes whats up? hmmm.... well.. now that i know whats up i'm sure i can figure this one out. ;-)
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomk pointed out that there are a lot of people having issues with this. The official solution thread is here: Minor service dependancy annoyance... Please post there for further assistance on this topic.

Moving from Portage and Programming.

tomk wrote:
Noticed a few of these *cron posts recently. These are the dupes I've found:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=114461
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=124942
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=124214
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=120640
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=119611
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=119166
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=115113
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=105625
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=104659