Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Howdy y'all from Gentoo (Switched from Arch to Gentoo)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tricky_florence
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Howdy y'all from Gentoo (Switched from Arch to Gentoo) Reply with quote

Although I made the switch from Arch to Gentoo in 2010, I just wanted to say howdy! But also I wanted to say that after all these years I really still love Gentoo and think it is a superb tool that I can use for my daily driver. Gentoo has certainly given new life to my x200 and it has been a blast being able to compile everything from source! I do want ask what was everyone else's a-ha moment when they realized Gentoo was for them?
Zucca

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy y'all from Gentoo (Switched from Arch to Gentoo) Reply with quote

tricky_florence wrote:
I do want ask what was everyone else's a-ha moment when they realized Gentoo was for them?
It was when I finally stopped using MacOS 9 (and that old laptop with Windows 98 on it).

Actually my first Linux install was mkLinux (yes, the site is still up, and even Gentoo is mentioned there, yay), but I was unable to get any networking happening on it so I gave up and then came Gentoo.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using a RH version 7.x around 2002. I had been keeping an eye on Stampede Linux (it had a goal of being optimized for the 486), but never seemed to reach a "usable" release (according to the then website, using different words). I somehow came across Gentoo (1.2a?) and have used it since then. It wasn't until some time later that I learned Daniel Robbins (Gentoo founder) had worked on Stampede.
tricky_florence
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy y'all from Gentoo (Switched from Arch to Gentoo) Reply with quote

Zucca wrote:
Actually my first Linux install was mkLinux (yes, the site is still up, and even Gentoo is mentioned there, yay), but I was unable to get any networking happening on it so I gave up and then came Gentoo.

Mklinux? Now that is a name I have not heard in what seems like forever, how nightmarish was the networking for that?
Zucca

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy y'all from Gentoo (Switched from Arch to Gentoo) Reply with quote

tricky_florence wrote:
how nightmarish was the networking for that?
I think it was just a driver issue. There seemed to be no drivers compiled or just didn't exist. Which was strange considering I had a Power Mac... Anyway that was years ago. My memory is little fuzzy.
But it would be fun to try mkLinux on some emulator. :)
I once even managed to fire up working A/UX from floppy images on some Mac emulator. :)
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tricky_florence,

Welcome to Gentoo.

By first install was Red Hat 6.1 or maybe 6.2 right at the end or 1999.
I was dual booting with WindowsNT at the time.

In early 2002 I gave up Windows as NT was never going to get USB drivers and went Red Hat.
With Red Hat, as the versions rolled on, I became increasing frustrated that it would revert my configuration changes behind my back.
I downloaded the three CDs of Red Hat 9 over 512kbit ADSL but never installed it.

I was already shopping for a distro that put me in control of my PC.
It came down to LFS or Gentoo, which from the outside appeared to be LFS with a package manager.
So I installed what today is Historical Gentoo :)

I've not looked back. I'm still fighting off Red Hat. There is no autoblackmagic on my desktop system.

Do you realise you can never leave?

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Zucca

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Relax," said the night man
"We are programmed to receive
You can check-out any time you like
But you can never leave."

Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
tricky_florence
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:

I have learned that the Gentoo rabbit hole is a very hard place to escape, I even recently tested arch on a vm to see what I had left behind but got frustrated with the standard kernel not satisfying my needs; it especially did not help that instead of sudo I would instinctively type doas for most root equivalent commands. To be fair binary packages are not bad by some standard but I just like using my own USE flags to get what I need instead of a whole bunch of random packages of bloat.
pietinger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:

For my home usage I had DOS 3.3 until DOS 5.0; OS/2 1.3 until OS/2 Warp; a short time SuSe and RedHat (cant remember any version) and since 2004 or 2005 I have Gentoo (I got it from a working colleague).

Yes, it would be very, very hard to leave; but I could and I would leave immediately if Gentoo would eliminate OpenRC some day. Sometimes I think people dont know how valuable it is to be able choosing between different init-systems (for this take a look to devuan 4.0). This is one point why Gentoo has an advantage over every other distribution (plus its an rolling realease and is build on the source code).
Zucca

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know only Artix which offically supports more init systems.
But unofficially Gentoo can be quite easily to configured to take any init system. I know here are some who use runit and s6 for example.
So far my adventures with gentoo+systemd are over. It was a fun ride. But it had some of the problems as I had with Arch.
I'm always eager to test out more as my free time allows.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
spica
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first OS I started to use was FreeBSD5 in 2003, that was a first year in university. Somewhere in 2012 my employer gave me a computer with specific hardware, it worked with Ubuntu, but I had problems with running FreeBSD on it, so I installed Gentoo.
tricky_florence
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spica wrote:
The first OS I started to use was FreeBSD5 in 2003

Was the transition from BSD to Linux jarring or was it similar in some aspects? Out of curiosity I ask because I have never used any type of BSD but have been curious about the unix operating systems nature.
spica
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tricky_florence wrote:
spica wrote:
The first OS I started to use was FreeBSD5 in 2003

Was the transition from BSD to Linux jarring or was it similar in some aspects? Out of curiosity I ask because I have never used any type of BSD but have been curious about the unix operating systems nature.
People around used linux.I understood that my coworker looks at the `top` output, but I was unable to get what does he do because flags and key shortcuts are different; I knew tools like ps, grep, but they behave differently, I used sysctl to silence icmp – people used iptables, they used iptables to filter traffic – I used pf and ipfw, I used fstat – coworkers used lsof, and so on. I was unable to help them, they were not able to help me. This annoyed me, finally the hardware issue triggered me to make a choice from two evils, the one which is in my power to change.
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ tricky -- Welcome to the Gentoo Forums.

In response to your asking, I was an early adopter of Linux using Slackware exclusively on the console until about 2000, and mainly used it as a terminal to access remote Unix hosted networks and for working on bash scripts to use on those Unix hosts. But I found Slackware impossible to keep up-to-date between releases. I then skirmished with Red Hat, now in a GUI with Gnome and KDE, but finding RPMs difficult, arcane, and unreliable until Mandrake. After Mandrake tanked around 2004, I made a deliberate search for another Linux I could maintain AND comprehend. I explored Debian briefly, then found Gentoo either late in 2004 or early 2005, thanks to DistroWatch descriptions.

That winter, before installing, I printed the entire Handbook on a Star dot matrix printer which I followed during install and then used as a reference manual for many years. I never seriously considered changing to another distribution, though I have used a fair number of others, mainly Debian and Ubuntu based, installing for other people and in the small-scale enterprise.

In 2006 I deployed and supported six (or maybe one or two more) Gentoo computers at two operating locations in support of a para-church organization attending major church jurisdiction triennial meeting. These PCs were cloned from a custom installation that I tailored to meet the needs of the users during this two-week engagement, after which the computers were donated to various non-profit organizations for their office use. This project made me at least conversant with using and maintaining Gentoo for the long-run.
amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
schrdlu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I have never gotten my head around the bsd way,Arch I blame for the demise of a laptop( prbably unwaranted) 1st compute experience dos 3.2 followed by 5.0,then win 3.1,win95 for quite some time. win 7 longer period,a dabble with win 10.
1st linux a boxed version RH5.2 with several upgrades then an Amateur colleige introduced me to gentoo,from which I have never recovered,being a person who hates to fork out finance for a free item,I have attempted to put in as many bug reports as my intellect would allow& I really get a kick out of compiling up a system circumventing blockers & stoppers.
These days the brain is a lot slower,but I still manage to keep 5 machines of different capabilities running.
Fingers tend to runaway sometimes,hence my latest runin with portage not syncing with the local repositories.
keet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was in 2008. My friend had introduced me to Gentoo a few years before, but I had been using Windows mostly until then (apart from a few tries using Red Hat and Mandrake around the year 2000 and a little dabbling occasionally in the following years), and wanted to try switching to Linux. I installed Ubuntu, but my sound card didn't work -- it was a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 or something like that. The forums or some guide said that I needed to recompile my kernel and maybe switch to the Open Sound System, as well. I recompiled my kernel with the appropriate options, but then my Wi-Fi stopped working. I decided that Ubuntu is not really meant for people who customize their kernels, so I installed Gentoo and have been using it since then.
the_actuary
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed Gentoo about 6 months back, not with the idea of using it, but with the idea of giving it a spin. Before I used it, I was of the opinion that gentoo is a gimmick for nerds wasting time compling stuff and autistic Linux billies obsessed about every kb ram usage. The aha factor came as I was installing it. I realized how beautifully things are laid out in Gentoo with a serious use case in mind to make life simple. Postgresql eselect is a really good example.

The maintainers have spent a lot of time structuring the package workflows in a way that cohesively integrates with the entire system. Gentoo is just not about use flags, or minimalism and compiling, it's the approach of doing things that is so addictive. The rest of the goodness is a by-product of this.

Now I use Gentoo in my personal laptop, my office desktop and my office server. I don't see myself using anything else going forward (well maybe raspbian os for rpi).
tricky_florence
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a minute since I was at work, but, reading these stories of the a-ha factor makes me both nostalgic and somewhat glad to see how much has changed for computing long term development as I stand by my statement before long live Gentoo.

figueroa wrote:
In 2006 I deployed and supported six (or maybe one or two more) Gentoo computers at two operating locations in support of a para-church organization attending major church jurisdiction triennial meeting. These PCs were cloned from a custom installation that I tailored to meet the needs of the users during this two-week engagement, after which the computers were donated to various non-profit organizations for their office use. This project made me at least conversant with using and maintaining Gentoo for the long-run.

That para-church story piqued my interest a lot, what kind of systems were used for the configuration of Gentoo? Was it just some run of the mill Acer or Dell you find in a recycling center or more customized like a Hewlet-Packard? (I say this because I found some weird stuff in HP computers when I went looking around in my neighborhood computer stores).

sidenote: I hope I am not necroposting...
tricky_florence
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_actuary wrote:
The maintainers have spent a lot of time structuring the package workflows in a way that cohesively integrates with the entire system. Gentoo is just not about use flags, or minimalism and compiling, it's the approach of doing things that is so addictive. The rest of the goodness is a by-product of this.

Well said! I could not agree more that the idea of portage and structure of the distro itself; though I do wonder what stage 4 will be like in the future?
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tricky_florence wrote:
sidenote: I hope I am not necroposting...
You're replying to your own thread, which was started less than a week ago. Your response is an on-topic post responding to a post from only 3 days before. I think you're fine. ;)
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tricky_florence wrote:
figueroa wrote:

That para-church story piqued my interest a lot, what kind of systems were used for the configuration of Gentoo? Was it just some run of the mill Acer or Dell you find in a recycling center or more customized like a Hewlet-Packard? (I say this because I found some weird stuff in HP computers when I went looking around in my neighborhood computer stores).

Around January 2006, I bought new, reasonably middle-of-the-road PC motherboards with new CPUs and RAM which I installed in old cases with mostly used peripheral components, so all of the important parts were identical. I had been repairing and building PCs since early 1990s so the assembly and OS installation was a piece of cake and my parts stash was huge. I was also well connected in the used PC component marketplace in the Dayton, Ohio area at the time so when I found a good deal on parts I would be needing (i.e. PC case w/power supply $10) I would lay it in, and people would give me stuff. Total investment per PC was about $100, mostly for the new stuff.
amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: