Computer makes digital noise when working
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
r7l
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Computer makes digital noise when working Reply with quote

I got a Thinkpad X1 Nano and audio does work. But i can hear my computer working.

If there is no audio being played from any kind of program the sound will remain silent. No matter what the computer is doing. It starts once something is playing audio and doesn't matter if it's browser, audio player or anything else. The amount of noise varies according to the workload the computer has. Not just according to the CPU but also for downloads from network or writing to disk. The noise will not act according to volume but remain the same, no matter if the general volume is set to loud or not. The only way to not have it, is muting the entire device.

I am running sys-firmware/sof-firmware as this is required for the audio to work at all. Other then that i am running Gnome, pulseaudio and systemd on this machine. I have similar setups on other Thinkpads but this audio issue is only happening with this Thinkpad.

Is there any fix to this or is this driver / hardware related?
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is it's hardware.
Builtin audio devices have been known for picking all the EM noise around them. This said, it is not "normal" or "to be expected" with modern hardware. Unless you plugged a radio transmitter (wifi, gsm) right next to your mic; these things dish out an absurd amount of power.

Anyway, boot it from any liveCD and see if the problem persists. If it does, report the issue to the manufacturer.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r7l,

That the noise does not change with the volume control is useful information.
It tells that the noise is being added after the control.

Describe your entire sound system.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
r7l
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon,

there isn't much of a sound system. Since this laptop is pretty portable with only 3 ports (2x USB-C, 1x Audio Jack) i am using it as a tiny mobile workstation. So the only things being connected is power or one of my 2 headsets. Usually i am using a older Samsung phone headset when talking to people and otherwise i am using a Sennheiser headset when listening to music or anything else. The noise is on both of these headsets and both are wired and connected to the audio jack. I am not much of a bluetooth fan.

Maybe you can see in this picture that the headphone jack is directly next to the USB-C ports powering this laptop. At first, i thought it might be an issue because of the power flow being so close but the issue remains if the laptop is running on battery.

Other then that, it's set up as described. Gentoo Sources kernel, sys-firmware/sof-firmware, systemd, Gnome with pulseaudio.

I am barely using the internal speakers but i've just noted that there isn't any noise when using them. The only issue with those speakers is that they sound flat. But that's something i would expect by design. But since the speakers do not have this issue, it might actually be hardware related?

Here is pacmd list-cards:

Code:
1 card(s) available.
    index: 0
   name: <alsa_card.pci-0000_00_1f.3-platform-skl_hda_dsp_generic>
   driver: <module-alsa-card.c>
   owner module: 6
   properties:
      alsa.card = "0"
      alsa.card_name = "sof-hda-dsp"
      alsa.long_card_name = "sof-hda-dsp"
      device.bus_path = "pci-0000:00:1f.3-platform-skl_hda_dsp_generic"
      sysfs.path = "/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.3/skl_hda_dsp_generic/sound/card0"
      device.bus = "pci"
      device.vendor.id = "8086"
      device.vendor.name = "Intel Corporation"
      device.product.id = "a0c8"
      device.product.name = "Tiger Lake-LP Smart Sound Technology Audio Controller"
      device.string = "0"
      device.description = "Tiger Lake-LP Smart Sound Technology Audio Controller"
      module-udev-detect.discovered = "1"
      device.icon_name = "audio-card-pci"
   profiles:
      HiFi: Play HiFi quality Music (priority 40768, available: unknown)
      off: Off (priority 0, available: unknown)
   active profile: <HiFi>
   sinks:
      alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1f.3-platform-skl_hda_dsp_generic.HiFi__hw_sofhdadsp_5__sink/#0: Tiger Lake-LP Smart Sound Technology Audio Controller HDMI3 Output
      alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1f.3-platform-skl_hda_dsp_generic.HiFi__hw_sofhdadsp_4__sink/#1: Tiger Lake-LP Smart Sound Technology Audio Controller HDMI2 Output
      alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1f.3-platform-skl_hda_dsp_generic.HiFi__hw_sofhdadsp_3__sink/#2: Tiger Lake-LP Smart Sound Technology Audio Controller HDMI1 Output
      alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1f.3-platform-skl_hda_dsp_generic.HiFi__hw_sofhdadsp__sink/#3: Tiger Lake-LP Smart Sound Technology Audio Controller Speaker + Headphones
   sources:
      alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1f.3-platform-skl_hda_dsp_generic.HiFi__hw_sofhdadsp_5__sink.monitor/#0: Monitor of Tiger Lake-LP Smart Sound Technology Audio Controller HDMI3 Output
      alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1f.3-platform-skl_hda_dsp_generic.HiFi__hw_sofhdadsp_4__sink.monitor/#1: Monitor of Tiger Lake-LP Smart Sound Technology Audio Controller HDMI2 Output
      alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1f.3-platform-skl_hda_dsp_generic.HiFi__hw_sofhdadsp_3__sink.monitor/#2: Monitor of Tiger Lake-LP Smart Sound Technology Audio Controller HDMI1 Output
      alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1f.3-platform-skl_hda_dsp_generic.HiFi__hw_sofhdadsp__sink.monitor/#3: Monitor of Tiger Lake-LP Smart Sound Technology Audio Controller Speaker + Headphones
      alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1f.3-platform-skl_hda_dsp_generic.HiFi__hw_sofhdadsp__source/#4: Tiger Lake-LP Smart Sound Technology Audio Controller Headphones Stereo Microphone
      alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1f.3-platform-skl_hda_dsp_generic.HiFi__hw_sofhdadsp_6__source/#5: Tiger Lake-LP Smart Sound Technology Audio Controller Digital Microphone
   ports:
      [Out] HDMI3: HDMI3 Output (priority 700, latency offset 0 usec, available: no)
         properties:

[Out] HDMI2: HDMI2 Output (priority 600, latency offset 0 usec, available: no)
         properties:

[Out] HDMI1: HDMI1 Output (priority 500, latency offset 0 usec, available: no)
         properties:

[Out] Speaker: Speaker (priority 100, latency offset 0 usec, available: unknown)
         properties:

[Out] Headphones: Headphones (priority 200, latency offset 0 usec, available: yes)
         properties:

[In] Mic2: Headphones Stereo Microphone (priority 200, latency offset 0 usec, available: no)
         properties:

[In] Mic1: Digital Microphone (priority 100, latency offset 0 usec, available: unknown)
         properties:

In order to make it work in the first place, i had to set sink and source manually in /etc/pulse/default.pa:

Code:
load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0,3 channels=2
load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:0,4 channels=2

I was playing around with different setting for this but it doesn't change anything apart from not working at all.

szatox,

Thanks for the suggestion. Didn't thought about this but it's actually worth a shot. Haven't had time today but i might try tomorrow.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r7l,

Do you have wireless or wired keyboard and mouse, or do you use the build in keyboard and pointer?
Its been known that allowing the mouse and keyboard cables to be close to the analogue audio cables can cause issues.
Keep the headphone cable away from other cables.

Test with the external PSU disconnected from the mains.
Its a switched mode PSU and will generate electrical noise whenever its powered up. Its not enough just to unplug it from the laptop,

Your BIOS may have some "Spread Spectrum" options. If they are there, enable them.
Its a trick to spread the electrical noise generated by the PC clocks over a wider range of frequencies that they would otherwise be.
This in turn can reduce electrical noise getting into other things.

Can you connect an external display and turn off the laptop display?
That's hardly a workaround but the backlight control is a source of noise as is the display refresh.
Does changing the display brightness or refresh rate (with a static image) affect the noise.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
sdauth
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like this https://libreboot.org/docs/misc/#high-pitched-whining-noise-on-idle-in-debian-or-devuan
Try to use powertop as described in the link.

Very common with Thinkpad.. A bit crazy to see it is still happening with recent models though. (Using powertop fixed the issue on my X200 & T400)
r7l
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, had a busy weekend no time to look into this. Just tried what was suggested.

sdauth,

i've followed your suggestions. When using a live image the effect remains as i've had the same noise when using latest Ubuntu and playing some music.
Powertop also didn't change anything.

NeddySeagoon,

i am only using the build in keyboard and trackpoint. And this noise remains no matter if PSU connected or running from battery. I've also tried to find the BIOS setting you've suggested. But there is nothing of that sort and i haven't seen such an option in any Thinkpad BIOS before. But maybe i've just overlooked it.

Changing the brightness of the internal display doesn't change anything. But i've connected my external display (usually i don't) and it instantly recognizes it as HDMI output and starts playing there. There is no noise on the monitor and this doesn't surprise me after i've found out that there is also no noise on the internal speakers.

All in all, it seems as if the problem might actually be a hardware issue with how the audio jack is wired (or to close) to some other stuff. For now it seems as the only way to get around this issue might be a non wired bluetooth headset.

Thanks for your help anyways.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: