jack2/dbus alsa integration broken...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: jack2/dbus alsa integration broken... Reply with quote

Been using jack2/dbus via cadence for years, outputing mostly to hw:0,0 (iirc):
Also succesfully reconfigured to HDMI and back.
I never got the
Code:
PCH,0  [ ALC 662 rev3 Analog]
setting to work.

Before I recently once again switched from long standing hw:0,0 to HDMI, everything was running smoothly, surviving kernel/apps update/upgrade.
While HDMI switch worked, returning back to analog didn't provide hw:0,0 entry anymore,but hw:PCH,0 entry only along with HDMI's.

When jack isn't running, alsa capable configured audio apps play fine on PCH,0.
With running jack set to
Code:
hw:PCH,0
so defaulted alsa capable apps fail to play without output reconfiguration.
So jack output seems hooking the proper device, somehow.

But no sound's out.

alsa 2 jack working fine here.

Possibly out of scope, playing jack to HDMI doesn't provide sound level control, whereas alsa to HDMI does.
Making me, likely wrong, think jack is taking to hardware straight not alsa as I thought.

Big help 4 noob needed there, as my jack server usability has badly fallen apart.

Thks 4 ur attention, interest & support.
dbtx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
returning back to analog didn't provide hw:0,0 entry anymore,but hw:PCH,0 entry only along with HDMI's.

Are you using qjackctl? It changed to listing ALSA devices by ID instead of by index, at some point in the past. You can still edit and type hw:0,0 into that drop-down selector for Interface (or Input Device / Output Device on the Advanced tab). Almost certainly, you could always type hw:PCH but I suppose that they eventually decided the names were better than the number to populate the lists.

Quote:
When jack isn't running, alsa capable configured audio apps play fine on PCH,0.
With running jack set to
Code:
hw:PCH,0
so defaulted alsa capable apps fail to play without output reconfiguration.
So jack output seems hooking the proper device, somehow.

IIUC, ALSA would automatically use dmix to support multiple playback clients, but JACK opens devices in blocking/exclusive mode, so the dmix plugin can't also use the device. Also, trying to start jackd will also fail while anything else is playing, for the same reason. I have JACK and ALSA clients using the same card but only with hardware mixing on a SB Live or Audigy or similar, mainly because I didn't find any HOWTO-run-everything-into-JACK strategy that always worked. Eventually I gave up on the loopback mainly because of firefox-bin with apulse and locally-built Waterfox with ALSA re-enabled, complaining about the sample rate/format. I tried things and in the end it was easiest to just delete .asoundrc :( which won't help when I'm on that laptop using snd-hda-intel again. Could you point me toward a guide that worked for you?
Quote:
Possibly out of scope, playing jack to HDMI doesn't provide sound level control, whereas alsa to HDMI does.
Making me, likely wrong, think jack is taking to hardware straight not alsa as I thought.

I'm curious, how do you control it? It reminds me of mplayer's softvol audio filter that only attenuates the signal numerically before delivering it. AFAIK, the closest JACK comes to talking directly to hardware is when using Firewire directly which for me was a little bit more stable than using JACK->ALSA->Firewire.
dbtx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must apologize for overlooking your mention of cadence. I might have heard of it and forgotten but now I guess that's the program offering you hw:PCH vs. hw:0 and not qjackctl.

At least, what I said still seems to apply-- I can manually edit the device setting in its JACK server configuration and use either the name or the number even though it only shows names. I can't actually verify this works right away because I didn't get Cadence working yet... But I learned more of what it does, and I can also see that you were using the same .asoundrc it included and placed in your ~/ in order to quickly enable ALSA loopback. It is very much like one I've used in the past, copied from a wiki somewhere.

Quote:
When jack isn't running, alsa capable configured audio apps play fine on PCH,0

This is normal... but please clarify--
Quote:
With running jack ... defaulted alsa capable apps fail to play without output reconfiguration.

While JACK is running, what output device setting makes an ALSA client not work? What output device makes it work, without stopping JACK? You said 'defaulted alsa capable apps' but the obvious thing that should make them fail is telling them to use hw:PCH specifically instead of "default". That .asoundrc already forces aloopDuplex to be the default device for ALSA clients, i.e. the meaning of "default" when they ask for it, and you also said
Quote:
alsa 2 jack working fine here.
So I'm a little confused. Was cadence-aloop-daemon also running?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: