Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goverp,

But you know the time is 8 o'clock. Its written on a piece of paper :)

Everyone else needs to put "What time is it Eccles" into the search engine of their choice.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
technotorpedo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ @figueroa: Lots of interesting stats, thanks for that. Not trash talking them either. Definitely more could be said that's not based off a few "news stories" but gnu/Linux is users choice, each their own. One of many awesome things about it imo. Noted it's/MX a well liked, popular distro and generally well thought of. Doing what they can to give people options and can't fault that.

For me ... my choice is Debian, will/could never have the degree of trust in any based on vs the people behind the Debian proj itself and the decades of experience they have-etc. Kind of goes w/o saying no based-distro is going to put together a Debian remix that suits my preferences and tastes better than I do for myself.

In other dorkish news some more:

Guy asks @NeddySeagoon, how much RAM does your system have ?

@NeddySeagoon's reply, ... ALL OF IT, (drops the mike.) :D
spica
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

technotorpedo wrote:
Quote:
NeddySeagoon wrote:
My system is up in about 34 sec. That includes 10 sec zeroing its RAM.

Quote:
pietinger wrote:
I have the same security option configured in my kernel and for 16 GB it needs ... 1.3 secs

1.3 ~ 16 [G]
10 ~ x [G]
x = 16 * 10 / 1.3 ≈ 123 [G].
The closest power of two is 128G.
Leonardo.b
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like daemontools, runit & friends most.
They are faster than OpenRC.

pietinger wrote:

I have the same security option configured in my kernel and for 16 GB it needs ...

Which option is it? Do I want it as well?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leonardo.b,

On its own, probably not.
Together with https://madaidans-insecurities.github.io/guides/linux-hardening.html and or https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Hardened-kernel.
There is https://kernsec.org/wiki/index.php/Kernel_Self_Protection_Project too.

It's probably thrown in.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Leonardo.b
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much paranoia... I love that.

Thanks.
technotorpedo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
spica wrote:
The closest power of two is 128G.

YIKES ... a bucketlist-beast, I like living precariously from afar with all you Linux users who have monster spec'ed systems like those. For me, not likely ever meant to be. :( Besides who am I kidding, wth could I ever find to do with that many system resources anyway ?

Looked over runit too of course, never got beyond looking, seemed really interesting. The distro's still offering SysV, would make more sense to me if they'd offer Openrc, at least it'd be taking a step forward-up. As again ... quick look at feature comparison charts of which init's are capable of what's, Openrc vs Systemd, they both have many of the same green boxes checked. SysV ... lots of red's, nope, nope ... doesn't support that, nope, not that either, nopers, nah on that one too. etc.

Got nothing against whichever distro's or whatever bases either. Though like everybody else certainly got preferences in how I like things config'ed, oh well ... Can't say whichever distro's don't run just fine too. People among a vast swath of distro's definitely DO NOT have to agree with me that my way is better, lighter, faster, more efficient and/or stable, people have every right to not know what they're talking about and to insist on being wrong if they so desire. Bein a dork, couldn't resist, been awake too long ...

That stupidness I just typed above reminds me of a funny T-shirt, says along the lines of "I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining all the reasons I'm right." :P
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my core2quad pvr box wrote:
Startup finished in 6.061s (kernel) + 1min 11.912s (userspace) = 1min 17.974s
graphical.target reached after 1min 11.531s in userspace

Yow. Also I'm sure it's actually longer than that, I never used a stopwatch but it's probably nearing the 2m or even 3m mark. Granted yes it's starting up mysqld, mythbackend, logging in + mythfrontend, and even libvirtd though I don't have any VM's running on this WD Green rustspinner box (it's a surrogate vm host when necessary.) Not sure why mysqld takes so long to start, takes over 17 seconds by itself, probably needs to clean up the databases...

You don't want to know how long my other core2quad VM host box that also uses rust spinners (RAID5) takes. I think it's up near the 5 minute mark to boot it's lethargic BIOS, its services (including another instance of mysqld though it doesn't nearly have as much data on it unlike all the EPG crap on the mythtv box) and multiple VMs, and it is OpenRC ... and now you know why I really want the SSD cache to work during boot.
pietinger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leonardo.b wrote:
How much paranoia... I love that.

Hi Leonardo,

because I know, you are knowing my guide: I wrote an article how to set KSPP easier with Gentoo:
Code:
Gentoo Linux --->
    Enable Kernel Self Protection Project Recommendations  --->
    [*] Architecture Independant Kernel Self Protection Project Recommendations
    [*] X86_64 KSPP Settings

(more in german here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8632690.html#8632690)

Greetings,
Peter
technotorpedo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@eccerr0r, perfect solution. When unused ...
Code:
systemctl suspend

Messing around, as long as you're happy and it's doing the job. Brain feels like chunky oatmeal right now, nah, that's not accurate, felt like oatmeal hours ago. Now feels like oatmeal with walnuts or some sand in it. Coffee will only get someone so far. :)
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah wish I could suspend, my other post detailed the problem, so I'm stuck with leaving it on... :(
Leonardo.b
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pietinger wrote:
Hi Leonardo,

because I know, you are knowing my guide: I wrote an article how to set KSPP easier with Gentoo:

Yess. I remember.
I already had most KSSP settings enabled, but it looks like I missed some, or I skipped some for who knows why.
I'll check again.
pietinger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leonardo.b wrote:
[...] but it looks like I missed some, or I skipped some for who knows why.
I'll check again.

Please dont use 5.10.76 (... there was a reason for 5.10.76-r1 ...)
Leonardo.b
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Why?
pietinger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leonardo.b wrote:
Ok. Why?

problem with Gentoo-KSPP-settings ... I dont know exactly, because ... I didnt checked 5.10.76 carefully ... but when I did my "make oldconfig" with 5.10.76-r1 it asked me again if I want to enable Gentoo/KSPP ... then I realized it wasnt set by this option

(lucky me, I had set all KSPP settings manually since many years)
technotorpedo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Contacted the GFPD ( Gentoo forum Police Dept) to report a thread-napping, they told me, ah screw you, you don't use Gentoo anyway. :P At least this way, hopefully thread is useful KSPP thing eh. Understandable Systemd isn't 1st choice of init among the Gentoo crowd. Plus of course whole premise of this thread was kinda dorkish from beginning. Are always ways to get whatever info someone wants while dealing with gnu/Linux.

@eccerr0r: Sounds like one of those back 2 drawing board, keep trying things until you find a good solution situations. No worthwhile suggestions to assist are coming to mind here. That's pretty much always been my approach to gnu/nix, keep looking over the info/docs, trying things, then poking, prodding and-or hitting things with a hammer until finding something that works. :)
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point the ugly solution of killing mythbackend and unloading the driver is one possibility which will add significant time to suspend/resume as the backend seems to take a while in itself to start (and stop...) Plus not sure if this totally solves the issue or not.
The best solution is making the driver tolerant of suspend/resume... which would be difficult to do...
technotorpedo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang of course do have a bunch of junk to say about your situation but it's all over the place offtopic, lol .. atm you have 2 things introduced here, only one even vaguely related to the OP, ... Boot time to working desktop and you are using Systemd as init. Times you're describing do come off as a bit excessive though honestly you didn't give anything like accurate times, stuff like it says this but might even be this or maybe even that(3mins.) On a second system having problems with ... it could be 5mins, yada, yada.

Yes profiling the systems boot, using the tools built into Systemd to determine which services are starting, when, how long they're taking etc makes sense. Though don't use Gentoo, think it's good practice for any Linux user to streamline that type of thing and have my installs pruned down so that only needed/wanted services=daemons start and anything optional should be set to start/stop as needed. Clearly unused services are a waste of resources and could add possible security/stability issues. Sheesh was obsessive about that when was still a Windows user. Seems just good general computing practice regardless of platform involved ...

Might ask on a MythTV forum, if such exists, hopefully some Linux users among them that could make some suggestions ? I mean is MythTV properly installed, correctly config'ed etc ? I don't know crapall about it outside that it's an open source DVR-media type piece of software. Something else which comes to mind, am not at all familiar with Gentoo, am assuming these systems you're talking about are even running Gentoo, would seem to be, not so much meant to be insulting to wonder if those installs are properly setup themselves, I wouldn't know, not saying they aren't but "are they correctly configured" ... Could be a valid question.

As for the what's up and why any issues with suspend, don't know ... Systemd actually has something intended for pre/post suspend, presumably meant to address this type of thing, in Debian such is located at /lib/systemd/system-sleep (zero idea if it's same on Gentoo but as this is something in Systemd, certainly should be somewhere on the OS )and stated purpose of this is running scripts-etc intended to resolve such system quirks. Stuff due to suspend/hibernate = resume problems. Might even be lucky and have an example script to look over, I had one in there for hdparm. Am sure there are examples to be found for this online.

Also brings me to wondering if perhaps something else might not fit this role/usecase better, like another distro, don't ask me which that might be though ... Would assess stuff (distro's) that are superlight, minimal and lends itself well to the media server niche, meant for applications along those lines. Made it plain Debian's my go to but if came up against a situation where another distro was already tweaked and setup for a specific use, that'd take me tons of time + buttpain to config Debian for, wouldn't be ashamed to use it and save myself the hassles.

Guess should've posted in your help thread but ah, this one was a no-go from the start anyway, meh. :)
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this thread was all about startup times and I think I win....for longest boot time!

This problem would be distribution agnostic. The problem is one specific kernel module with one specific DVB (ngene). Problem being, I don't know if anyone especially the driver maintainer still has the specific board, at least it's a PCIe board. Debugging it would still be a pain. My other DVB board seems to suspend/resume just fine (cx23885/hauppauge).
technotorpedo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Nice. :)

Heard it said time is the most precious thing any of us have. Comes down to spending much of it on something like that, yep ... perhaps better to just disable any kind of suspend-etc and live with a long boot time on said system(s) ? While could drum up some more possibilities, think it's better to call good enough, good enough here too.

PS, Brain is quickly moving into lumpy oatmeal with sand in it territory again. Though this time, am properly armed. In addition to plenty of coffee onhand, also have x2/24oz Monster energy drinks in reserve. :P
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And since it's a PVR I just leave it on...costs power but at least no missed shows. Ahh it would be nice if I could turn on, on demand, alas it's how it needs to be for now. Funny that I knew about the suspend issue recently as I had the other problem of a keyboard sending random suspend requests causing the DVB to go bonkers and cause loss of functionality.

At least when just leaving it on, it needs to grab OTA EPG info anyway, and stingy broadcasters don't seem to want to post schedule data for more than a few hours and they still change it after broadcasting it.

And the machine is part of my distcc farm...
Leonardo.b
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pietinger wrote:

Ok. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: