View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ganer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Nvidia, DisplayLink, OBS, Varying resolutions/framerates Reply with quote

Hello, I'm a long time windows user (with Gentoo and general Linux experience) who is considering switching to Gentoo on his main machine. After asking and looking around I think KDE Plasma would be a good choice for an environment. However, due to my setup, I'm wondering if I should even try. My display setup is a mismatch of various properties. I have 4 monitors from my Nvidia GPU, with varying resolutions and framerates (60-240, and capping is a no-no), and two more that are DisplayLink USB [with two differing resolution]. I also have OBS setup to record each of my monitors in order to take clips from any monitor or game.

My question is: should I try? Does anyone have experience with a similar situation? All of this sounds like absolute driver hell and I'm like 60% sure it won't even work right as I start combining all these together, what do y'all recommend?
nuuhojuu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In installation media assuming you're not using gentoo livecd medium, run lspci -v and write down the module names that drive the devices listed, this will help you if you're going to manually configure kernel(dont choose no-multib because wine depends on multilib if you choose to install it). In kernel config, look for the options by hitting '/' key and type module names and then navivate based on results search displayed. Gentoo wiki will hold your hand installing software you need. Assuming you'll install NVIDIA driver, wiki's got you covered but I suggest you to enable CONFIG_DRM as a module, this is from my experience when i had problems with X.org freezing my system(in my 1st thread). My display setup is also a mismatch(one 1280x1024@75hz and 1080p@60hz screen) but that's not a large problem if you can fire up X successfully and if 'tools' flag enabled, you'll have nvidia-settings program that will help you configure your screens. Everything else is covered by Gentoo Wiki such as OBS and KDE installation.

And should you try it? You deciede!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: