Troubles setting cross compile profile
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregWills
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Troubles setting cross compile profile Reply with quote

Hello,

I am trying to create a cross compiling tool chain for the raspberry pi 4 following this guide on the wiki. The cross tool chain compiles just fine, the problem comes when trying to link make.profile to the correct profile. No matter what profile I link with in /var/db/repos/gentoo/profiles the link always points to the embedded profile. Even removing make.profile doesn't work, the link will remain and it will be pointing to the embedded profile. Has anyone ran into something like this? Thanks!
pingtoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Troubles setting cross compile profile Reply with quote

GregWills wrote:
No matter what profile I link with in /var/db/repos/gentoo/profiles the link always points to the embedded profile.

where is this link you created? In /usr/$TARGET-CHOST/etc/portage/make.profile? Can you share the command you use to create the link? I am not sure I understand profile I link with in /var/db/repos/gentoo/profiles the link always points to the embedded profile.

GregWills wrote:
Even removing make.profile doesn't work, the link will remain and it will be pointing to the embedded profile

I am confused, Once your remove make.profile, how is the link will remain Did the remove command failed?
GregWills
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the link is in /usr/$TARGET-CHOST/etc/portage/make.profile. It was automatically created with crossdev. Sorry for the confusion, what I mean is when I run
Code:
rm -rf make.profile
it does not delete the link. I get no error indicating that the remove failed. Also trying to update the link with
Code:
ln -s /var/db/repos/gentoo/profiles/default/linux/arm64/17.0/ make.profile/
does not change the link either.
GregWills
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed it by deleting the entire directory and remaking it. Can anyone think of a reason for the link being bugged out like that?
pingtoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregWills wrote:
Yes, the link is in /usr/$TARGET-CHOST/etc/portage/make.profile. It was automatically created with crossdev. Sorry for the confusion, what I mean is when I run
Code:
rm -rf make.profile
it does not delete the link. I get no error indicating that the remove failed. Also trying to update the link with
Code:
ln -s /var/db/repos/gentoo/profiles/default/linux/arm64/17.0/ make.profile/
does not change the link either.

I cannot tell why rm -rf make.profile because it depend on then how the environment setup. But if you use rm -r make.profile You most likely get the error message tell you why. Using the -f option tell rm not report any error condition.

The ln -s /var/db/repos/gentoo/profiles/default/linux/arm64/17.0/ make.profile/ does not change the link is most likely a consequence of previous rm -rf make.profile not actually delete the make.profile symbolic link. Because you add / in the end of make.profile, you ask ln -s ... create a symbolic link inside make.profile directory. So you will have /usr/$TARGET-CHOST/etc/profile/make.profile/17.0 but the make.profile remain point to embedded profile.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregWills,

Quote:
the link is in /usr/$TARGET-CHOST/etc/portage/make.profile

That should be the link. The link should not be in that directory.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: