Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
What does updating the @world set do exactly?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fabulousUnicorn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:54 am    Post subject: What does updating the @world set do exactly? Reply with quote

In the Gentoo installation handbook it recommends I execute the following command:

emerge --ask --verbose --update --deep --newuse @world

What exactly does it do? Does it install any packages? Or does it do something else?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a simplicity standpoint, it does a "deep" search to find what programs need to be updated while also considering new changes to use flag settings. That evaluation only considers existing installed packages that have updates available. However, if an update of something installed has a new requirement for something not installed, then that new program will also be installed.

For example foo-1.0 is installed and does not require program bar. However, foo-1.1 is available which now requires bar. In this case, updating foo will install bar that was previously not installed.
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and the "@world" set is where emerge starts its search for things to update. You could write
Code:
emerge --update --deep www-client/firefox

in which case it would look for updates to firefox and all its dependencies. This probably isn't something you'd actually want to do (instead of a full world update), but the syntax works!

The @world set is the list of things you've explicitly asked for - that is, that have been named in the parameter list to emerge. So
emerge foo
adds "foo" to the @world list, but not foo's dependents. They will have been emerged as well, but they're not listed in @world; emerge locates them when you do stuff to foo and specify "--deep".

There's an alternative "one-shot" way to emerge foo, which means to merge it but NOT add it to @world. You sometimes need this when one of the programs in your @world set has a problem caused by a bug in one of its dependencies, say "bah", in which case
Code:
emerge --one-shot bah

updates bah, but nothing else, and does NOT add it to @world. The reason for it's use is that some day the program in the world set may change its dependencies, and then no longer need bah. Without the "--one-shot", bah would itself be in @world, and you'd be needlessly updating it every "emerge --update ... @world", and further, bah might block something else being installed.
fabulousUnicorn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: So what should I choose? Reply with quote

The installation guide also has us "eselect profile list" I want to use KDE as my desktop, but what if I also want my system to be "hardened," and I want to experiment with selinux. "Default/linux/amd64/17.1/hardened/selinux" and "default/linux/amd64/17.1/desktop/plasma" are two different options. Which one should I choose?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fabulousUnicorn,

Yon can merge the profiles yourself.

Almost all the differences are in USE flag settings. The settings in your selected profile are overridden by the settings you make in make.conf.
Selecting a profile does nothing to your install, as long as you don't install any packages.

Select one of the profiles of interest. Then run
Code:
emerge --info
Save the output.
Rinse and repeat for as many other profiles as you like.

You can merge profiles by adding or removing things to make.conf.
However if one profile sets a flag, say selinux, and the other clears it, you need to resolve the conflict yourself.

If you really want to play with selinux, you should start with the selinux stage3.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
pietinger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fabulousUnicorn,

even if you dont want to use SELinux and if you want to use (only) a hardened profile you should start with the correct HARDENED stage3.

If you want to use a desktop profile also, you should take a look into this thread (last posts):
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1110124-highlight-.html

I have a no-multilib profile and wanted KDE (plasma-profile). As you can read in this thread I did it before in a way Neddy suggests (looking which use-flags are needed) and had many problems with this, because there is a big problem with desktop-profiles: Some (many?) use-flags are set only per package ! For example you shall not set "wayland" globally in your make.conf if you want X11, BUT "wayland" is needed AND set for two (or more?) packages by the desktop-profile. So I recommend trying to connect your two profiles like it is described in this thread (and I did). I cant assure if it works because I didnt tested HARDENED+DESKTOP; I only have NO-MULTILIB+DESKTOP.
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: So what should I choose? Reply with quote

fabulousUnicorn wrote:
The installation guide also has us "eselect profile list" I want to use KDE as my desktop, but what if I also want my system to be "hardened," and I want to experiment with selinux. "Default/linux/amd64/17.1/hardened/selinux" and "default/linux/amd64/17.1/desktop/plasma" are two different options. Which one should I choose?

Are you sure you want all of that from the beginning? You are immediately moving into advanced topics while asking basic questions.

My suggestion is for you to use the basic "default/linux/amd64/17.1/desktop/plasma (stable)" profile and get a working desktop system up and running to your satisfaction. Only then explore what it means to go hardened/selinux and add those portions that you decide upon from an already working system. As with all advice, your mileage may vary.
amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: