Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ve3id
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
ve3id,

You need to modprobe the filesystem drivers before the mount command.
Then they should appear in lsmod.

Its been a long time since I used floppies. /dev/fd0 is correct though. Its in your
Code:
rescueshell / # ls /dev
above.
It should appear as a block device.
Code:
ls /dev/fd0* -l
brw-rw---- 1 root floppy 2,   0 Nov  4 18:17 /dev/fd0

The 2,0 is the kernel major:minor device numbers.

I suspect that the LAN won't work until the rootfs is loaded off the CD. However, its worth looking at.
Busybox has some user space commands for the LAN.

Trying the 'daft laddie' approach, does it appear in
Code:
ip addr list

It may be there but without an address. You just had your first piece of good luck if its there.
What is your network card. It may need a modprobe.

Then
Code:
udhcpd <if_name>
will set up the interface.
Busybox has wget too, So
Code:
wget /path/to/file/on/my/server
will fetch the module.

What about USB?

I don't think I am having much luck today,
Code:
rescueshell / # ls /dev/fd0* -l                                                                                                 
brw-------    1 root     root        2,   0 Dec 27 13:52 /dev/fd0                                                               
rescueshell / # mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy                                                                                       
mount: mounting /dev/fd0 on /mnt/floppy failed: No such file or directory                                                       
rescueshell / # ip addr list                                                                                                     
1: lo: <LOOPBACK> mtu 65536 qdisc noop qlen 1000                                                                                 
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00

and the system pre-dates USB!
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ve3id wrote:
grknight wrote:
ve3id wrote:
I can see any way forward unless I can get the network running and ftp it. Can that be done form the live CD?

The dmesg in the OP does not point to a valid ethernet device. Try this command and see if a network device appears: "modprobe tulip de4x5 de2104x"

Those are the 3 DEC drivers included. If it is an aftermarket networking adapter, then it would need support.

If that does work (verify with 'ip link'), then assign an address with 'ip address' or DHCP via udhcpc since the initramfs has a busybox backed interface.

Nope. None of those works. Rebooting into SRM, it says the ethernet module is a DEC DE422.
I looks like I am sunk unless the install root can do xmodem or kermit!

It's a shame to see your hard work not being used :-(

cheers,
Nigel

Futher digging shows DE422 is actually an AMD card with either the lance or pcnet32 driver. The latter is included with the ISO while lance is not (though lance may work best with that card).

Edit: Oddly enough, busybox CAN do xmodem receiving via the rx command. So you can pull in files via the serial port
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ve3id,

Does /mnt/floppy exist?
If not
Code:
mkdir /mnt/floppy
and try again.

Having just cross compiled your kernel,the hard bit of making modules for it is done but you are not going to download the network card driver over the network :)

-- edit --

The DE422 uses the lance driver.
Try
Code:
modprobe amd8111e

-- edit some more --

Further poking about says you need the lance module. Its beside your scsi driver. I don't see xmodem support in my busybox but you cat do it the hard way.
busybox has base64, Thats UUEncede/Decode. There's a blast from the past. One of us can base64 encode the driver(s) so its all ASCII text.
Then cat it over the serial link, if that's all there is, then turn it back into binary.

Hmm busybox has chat. The kernel has PPP support. Its about 20 years since I've done PPP over serial. About all i can remember is that it used to work.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Last edited by NeddySeagoon on Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
ve3id
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
ve3id,

Does /mnt/floppy exist?
If not
Code:
mkdir /mnt/floppy
and try again.

Having just cross compiled your kernel,the hard bit of making modules for it is done but you are not going to download the network card driver over the network :)

-- edit --

The DE422 uses the lance driver.
Try
Code:
modprobe amd8111e

Yes, sorry, after I sent that I realised I hadn't created it but did afterwards and got a different message:
Code:

rescueshell / # ls /mnt
cdrom   floppy
rescueshell / # mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
mount: mounting /dev/fd0 on /mnt/floppy failed: No such device or address
rescueshell / # modprobe amd8111e
modprobe: module amd8111e not found in modules.dep
rescueshell / #

Listen, I really appreciate your help, but I will understand if you want to give up :-)
cheers,
Nigel
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that tldp page is old... are any ISA boards still "supported"...they haven't been in the tree since forever now.
And it looks like they actually took out the "borken" wording for the 501 ... aw...that was classic Linux documentation.
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Wow that tldp page is old... are any ISA boards still "supported"...they haven't been in the tree since forever now.
And it looks like they actually took out the "borken" wording for the 501 ... aw...that was classic Linux documentation.

Kernel support still exists for many ISA devices. There may be fewer tools on the application side, but what people need are still in the kernel.
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ve3id wrote:
Listen, I really appreciate your help, but I will understand if you want to give up :-)
cheers,
Nigel

We will stick around if you want to. Do note that getting Xorg running on older Alphas is likely broken depending on the video. libpciaccess made my AlphaServer 800 worthless when it broke support for sparse memory. (So I recycled the box)
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ve3id,

Give up, I don't know what that means :)
Code:

ve3id $ ls -l
total 196
-rw-r--r-- 1 roy users 35473 Dec 27 21:21 aha1740.001
-rw-r--r-- 1 roy users 25688 Dec 26 21:17 aha1740.ko
-rw-r--r-- 1 roy users 75229 Dec 27 21:21 lance.001
-rw-r--r-- 1 roy users 54544 Dec 27 20:51 lance.ko

The files ending in .001 are single part Base64 encoded representations of the *.ko files.
As they are printable ASCII files, they can be sent over a serial link.
Error detection and correction would be nice but not essential.
Busybox has base64, so the files can be recovered, once inside the Alpha

Code:
busybox base64 --help
BusyBox v1.34.1 (2021-10-28 19:08:20 BST) multi-call binary.

Usage: base64 [-d] [-w COL] [FILE]

Base64 encode or decode FILE to standard output

-d   Decode data
   -w COL   Wrap lines at COL (default 76, 0 disables)

-- edit --

added a file with the sha1sums

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
ve3id
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
ve3id,

Give up, I don't know what that means :)
Code:

ve3id $ ls -l
total 196
-rw-r--r-- 1 roy users 35473 Dec 27 21:21 aha1740.001
-rw-r--r-- 1 roy users 25688 Dec 26 21:17 aha1740.ko
-rw-r--r-- 1 roy users 75229 Dec 27 21:21 lance.001
-rw-r--r-- 1 roy users 54544 Dec 27 20:51 lance.ko

The files ending in .001 are single part Base64 encoded representations of the *.ko files.
As they are printable ASCII files, they can be sent over a serial link.
Error detection and correction would be nice but not essential.
Busybox has base64, so the files can be recovered, once inside the Alpha

Code:
busybox base64 --help
BusyBox v1.34.1 (2021-10-28 19:08:20 BST) multi-call binary.

Usage: base64 [-d] [-w COL] [FILE]

Thanks, grknight:
"We will stick around if you want to. Do note that getting Xorg running on older Alphas is likely broken depending on the video. libpciaccess made my AlphaServer 800 worthless when it broke support for sparse memory. (So I recycled the box)"

If you are willing, so am I!  In my early FE days I was sometimes found in ore mines in Northern Canada with my plane ticket home depending on finding a hardware solution!  Couldn't even jump in a canoe to go home since all rivers dumped into the Arctic Ocean! One time I missed the last flight due to biro ink contaminating a dipswitch!

back to neddy's post:

Base64 encode or decode FILE to standard output

-d   Decode data
   -w COL   Wrap lines at COL (default 76, 0 disables)

How do I get the files?
cheers,
Nigel
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ve3id,

They are here.

You send lance.001 and aha1740.001 over the serial link and save them to files.
Once the files are on the Alpha, you decode them to their .ko files and compare the sha1sums of the .ko file to the ones in alpha_drivers.sha1.
The will pick up any transmission errors.

Once you know that they are good, try
Code:
insmod /path/to/ko_file

Its 11:00 PM here, so I'm out for tonight.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
ve3id
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
ve3id,

They are here.

You send lance.001 and aha1740.001 over the serial link and save them to files.
Once the files are on the Alpha, you decode them to their .ko files and compare the sha1sums of the .ko file to the ones in alpha_drivers.sha1.
The will pick up any transmission errors.

Once you know that they are good, try
Code:
insmod /path/to/ko_file

Its 11:00 PM here, so I'm out for tonight.

Good morning.
Well, i did that, but busybox doesn't like it:
Code:
rescueshell / # busybox base64 -d lance.001 > lance.ko                                                                               
base64: truncated input                                                                                                               
rescueshell / #

Looking at the file, it starts like this:

Code:

rescueshell / # cat lance.001                                                                                                         

_=_                                                                                                                                   

_=_ Part 001 of 001 of file lance.ko                                                                                                 

_=_                                                                                                                                   

begin 644 lance.ko                                                                                                                   

M?T5,1@(!`0````````````$`)I`!`````````````````````````%#,````                                                                         

M`````````$```````$``(P`B``0````4`````P```$=.50"H_`$NT*J*N&H\                                                                         

M&Z)8F)";[8CWKP8````$`````0$``$QI;G5X``````````8````!``````$`                                                                         

M`$QI;G5X````````````````````````````NR<``+TC```]I```7:0P]P)*                                                                         

M``3_1P``(:0``$*DD/<"2C``8:3__S\@(0<C2`$!`4:B`T%``P!`]```7:0`                                                                         

M``*D``0@0`&`^FL``/XO``"[)P``O^C                                                                                                     
rescueshell / # ^C

and ends like this:

Code:

M`````````````````````+A.````````J`P````````A````40````@`````                                                                         

M````&``````````)`````P````````````````````````!@6P````````T&                                                                         

M```````````````````!````````````````````$0````,`````````````                                                                         

M````````````&,L````````Q`0```````````````````0``````````````                                                                         

$````````                                                                                                                             

`                                                                                                                                     

end                                                                                                                                   

:wq                                                                                                                                   

rescueshell / #

OK, that wq at the end is because I forgot to hit <esc> after doing the insert into vi, but I didn't on the other one and it give[/quote]s the same result. Other than that the file looks good, all lines are ending at the same column when I cat it.

Any ideas?

cheers,
nigel
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ve3id,

I'm a pillock. That probably doesn't translate very well outside of Somerset.
Busybox is akin to the tea substitute served by the Nutrimatic Drinks Dispenser on the Heart of Gold.
I knew that in advance though.

I've done the base64 encoding with busybox this time and I get a different answer. There are no headers or line breaks in the file.
I've done the decoding with busybox too, just to prove I get to the same thing as I put in.

You need the two files
Code:
aha1740.ko_bb_base64
lance.ko_bb_base64

The decode command I used for testing was
Code:
busybox base64 -d lance.ko_bb_base64 > lance.ko_decoded
and the sha1sums of the input and output files matched.
They are in
Code:
alpha_drivers.sha1

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
ve3id
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
ve3id,

I'm a pillock. That probably doesn't translate very well outside of Somerset.
Busybox is akin to the tea substitute served by the Nutrimatic Drinks Dispenser on the Heart of Gold.
I knew that in advance though.

I've done the base64 encoding with busybox this time and I get a different answer. There are no headers or line breaks in the file.
I've done the decoding with busybox too, just to prove I get to the same thing as I put in.

You need the two files
Code:
aha1740.ko_bb_base64
lance.ko_bb_base64

The decode command I used for testing was
Code:
busybox base64 -d lance.ko_bb_base64 > lance.ko_decoded
and the sha1sums of the input and output files matched.
They are in
Code:
alpha_drivers.sha1

No, pillock is understood where I come from in Essex (Tilbury Docks). In fact they have a lot more of them there :-)
But you're not a pillock for trying :-)
I know Somerset, do they still make Cope's cider there down where the cider apples grow?
Anyway, i downloaded the two new ones, and aha1740 passed sha1 but lance didn't:
Code:

rescueshell / # sha1sum -c alpha_drivers.sha1                                                                                         
aha1740.ko: OK                                                                                                                       
sha1sum: can't open 'aha1740.ko_bb_base64': No such file or directory                                                                 
aha1740.ko_bb_base64: FAILED                                                                                                         
sha1sum: can't open 'aha1740.ko_orig': No such file or directory                                                                     
aha1740.ko_orig: FAILED                                                                                                               
alpha_drivers.sha1: FAILED                                                                                                           
sha1sum: can't open 'lance.ko': No such file or directory                                                                             
lance.ko: FAILED                                                                                                                     
lance.ko_bb_base64: FAILED                                                                                                           
sha1sum: can't open 'lance.ko_decoded': No such file or directory                                                                     
lance.ko_decoded: FAILED                                                                                                             
sha1sum: WARNING: 14 of 15 computed checksums did NOT match                                                                           
rescueshell / #

So i tried insmode aha1740 and got no errors, they tried all that I know for the cd drive:

Code:

rescueshell / # insmod aha1740.ko                                                                                                     
rescueshell / # exit                                                                                                                 

>> Determining root device (trying ) ...
!! Block device  is not a valid root device ...                                                                                       
!! Could not find the root block device in .
!! Please specify another value or:
!! - press Enter for the same
!! - type "shell" for a shell
!! - type "q" to skip ...
root block device() ::                                                                                                               
>> Determining root device (trying ) ...
!! Block device  is not a valid root device ...                                                                                       
root block device() :: /dev/cd0                                                                                                       
>> Determining root device (trying /dev/cd0) ...
!! Block device /dev/cd0 is not a valid root device ...                                                                               
!! Could not find the root block device in /dev/cd0.
root block device(/dev/cd0) :: /dev/sr0                                                                                               
>> Determining root device (trying /dev/sr0) ...
!! Block device /dev/sr0 is not a valid root device ...                                                                               
!! Could not find the root block device in /dev/sr0.
root block device(/dev/sr0) :: /dev/cdr0                                                                                             
>> Determining root device (trying /dev/cdr0) ...
!! Block device /dev/cdr0 is not a valid root device ...                                                                             
!! Could not find the root block device in /dev/cdr0.
root block device(/dev/cdr0) :: shell                                                                                                 
** To leave and try again just press <Ctrl>+D

but no luck!

I tried downloading the lance drivers again but still get an error with sha1.
But I *know* that the adapter is an aha1742a since the manual came with it and it enumerates as such under sho dev

cheers,
Nigel
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After loading the SCSI aha1740 driver, check dmesg to see what gets enumerated.
ve3id
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grknight wrote:
After loading the SCSI aha1740 driver, check dmesg to see what gets enumerated.

After a fresh boot I downloaded the ascii files and re-did the base64 conversion to the .ko. This time both aha1740 and lance got an Ok from sha1sum.

Then I insmodded both, which both came back with no errors.

Here is dmesg:

Code:
[  110.607365] floppy: error 10 while reading block 0                                                                                 
[  152.714765] device-mapper: uevent: version 1.0.3                                                                                   
[  152.718671] device-mapper: ioctl: 4.45.0-ioctl (2021-03-22) initialised: dm-devel@redhat.com                                       
[ 2458.021202] lance.c: Module autoprobing not allowed. Append "io=0xNNN" value(s).                                                   
[ 2458.034874] lance.c: Module autoprobing not allowed. Append "io=0xNNN" value(s).                                                   
rescueshell / #

Note that only lance has an entry, when I had insmodded both!
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ve3id,

Baby steps ... trust but verify ...

Code:
rescueshell / # exit   

Is aha1740 listed in dmesg?
Any errors at the end of dmesg, after the modprobe?
A missing symbol indicates its needs something else that's no loaded.

Code:
says it didn't work anyway.
That should have listed two devices if it did. We know that the CDROM works as it read to get this far.

Do the sha1sum on the files you get from my server before before you send them over the serial link.
Do it again before you decode them. Then you can spot the failing step.

lance was the one I tested my end too.

Ahhhhh .

Code:
The root filesystem is in a file, so it needs loopback support to mount. it.
Its built in
Code:
  │ │    <*>   Loopback device support                                              │ │ 
  │ │    (8)     Number of loop devices to pre-create at init time

The root filesystem is in the file image.squashfs in the root of the cd.
Code:
mkdir /mnt/cdrom
mount /dev/sr0 /mnt/cdrom
ls /mnt/cdrom
will list it, once the SCSI driver works.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ve3id,

It can't read your floppy.
Code:
[  110.607365] floppy: error 10 while reading block 0
but all the bits are there.

lance needs an ioport number.

and it looks like aha1740 worked.

What is in /dev now?

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it comes down to it, try a Debian 5 CD for Alpha to get an environment which can access the disks and network.

You just need to get to a command prompt to install Gentoo
ve3id
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
ve3id,

Baby steps ... trust but verify ...

Code:
rescueshell / # exit   

Is aha1740 listed in dmesg?
Any errors at the end of dmesg, after the modprobe?
A missing symbol indicates its needs something else that's no loaded.

Code:
says it didn't work anyway.
That should have listed two devices if it did. We know that the CDROM works as it read to get this far.

Do the sha1sum on the files you get from my server before before you send them over the serial link.
Do it again before you decode them. Then you can spot the failing step.

lance was the one I tested my end too.

Ahhhhh .

Code:
The root filesystem is in a file, so it needs loopback support to mount. it.
Its built in
Code:
  │ │    <*>   Loopback device support                                              │ │ 
  │ │    (8)     Number of loop devices to pre-create at init time

The root filesystem is in the file image.squashfs in the root of the cd.
Code:
mkdir /mnt/cdrom
mount /dev/sr0 /mnt/cdrom
ls /mnt/cdrom
will list it, once the SCSI driver works.

Code:

rescueshell / # dmesg | grep aha                                                                                                     
insmod: can't insert 'aha1740.ko': File exists                                                                                       
rescueshell / # exit                                                                                                                 

root block device(/dev/sr0) ::

Only errors in dmesg are
Code:

[ 2458.021202] lance.c: Module autoprobing not allowed. Append "io=0xNNN" value(s).                                                   
[ 2458.034874] lance.c: Module autoprobing not allowed. Append "io=0xNNN" value(s).                                                   
[ 3058.784566] lance.c: Module autoprobing not allowed. Append "io=0xNNN" value(s).                                                   
[ 3058.799215] lance.c: Module autoprobing not allowed. Append "io=0xNNN" value(s).                                                   

shasum on the files after I downloaded them from you gives OK.

Funnily enough, /mnt/cdrom is alreday a directory
Code:

rescueshell / # ls /mnt                                                                                                               
cdrom                                                                                                                                 
rescueshell / # mount /dev/sr0 /mnt/cdrom                                                                                             
mount: mounting /dev/sr0 on /mnt/cdrom failed: No such file or directory                                                             
rescueshell / # mount /dev/cd0 /mnt/cdrom                                                                                             
mount: mounting /dev/cd0 on /mnt/cdrom failed: No such file or directory                                                             
rescueshell / #

Still no device reponding that look sanything like a cdrom:

Code:

rescueshell / # ls /dev                                                                                                               
autofs        ram1          tty11         tty35         tty59                                                                         
block         ram10         tty12         tty36         tty6                                                                         
char          ram11         tty13         tty37         tty60                                                                         
console       ram12         tty14         tty38         tty61                                                                         
core          ram13         tty15         tty39         tty62                                                                         
fd            ram14         tty16         tty4          tty63                                                                         
fd0           ram15         tty17         tty40         tty7                                                                         
full          ram2          tty18         tty41         tty8                                                                         
input         ram3          tty19         tty42         tty9                                                                         
kmsg          ram4          tty2          tty43         ttyS0                                                                         
loop-control  ram5          tty20         tty44         ttyS1                                                                         
loop0         ram6          tty21         tty45         ttyS2                                                                         
loop1         ram7          tty22         tty46         ttyS3                                                                         
loop2         ram8          tty23         tty47         urandom                                                                       
loop3         ram9          tty24         tty48         vcs                                                                           
loop4         random        tty25         tty49         vcs1                                                                         
loop5         rtc           tty26         tty5          vcsa                                                                         
loop6         rtc0          tty27         tty50         vcsa1                                                                         
loop7         shm           tty28         tty51         vcsu                                                                         
mapper        stderr        tty29         tty52         vcsu1                                                                         
null          stdin         tty3          tty53         vga_arbiter                                                                   
port          stdout        tty30         tty54         zero                                                                         
psaux         tty           tty31         tty55                                                                                       
ptmx          tty0          tty32         tty56                                                                                       
pts           tty1          tty33         tty57                                                                                       
ram0          tty10         tty34         tty58                                                                                       
rescueshell / #

I'm stumped!
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ve3id wrote:

Only errors in dmesg are
Code:

[ 3058.784566] lance.c: Module autoprobing not allowed. Append "io=0xNNN" value(s).                                                   
[ 3058.799215] lance.c: Module autoprobing not allowed. Append "io=0xNNN" value(s).                                                   

The above means you need to do 'insmod lance io=0xNNN' to get networking to work. Where NNN is the IO address of the card, hopefully this is easy to know from its config.

Still won't fix the disk detection however.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ve3id'

I was expecting to see /dev/sda, /dev/sr0, /dev/sg0 and /dev/sg1.
Does
Code:
aha1740
appear in lsmod?

As grknight says, you only need hardware support and a root shell to install Gentoo.

The Debian CD will want one extra step once you get a root shell.
Code:
mkdir /mnt/gentoo
because Debian does not provide that.

To keep going with the Gentoo liveCD, you need both the network and the HDD to work.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
ve3id
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
ve3id'

I was expecting to see /dev/sda, /dev/sr0, /dev/sg0 and /dev/sg1.
Does
Code:
aha1740
appear in lsmod?

As grknight says, you only need hardware support and a root shell to install Gentoo.

The Debian CD will want one extra step once you get a root shell.
Code:
mkdir /mnt/gentoo
because Debian does not provide that.

Yes it does:
Code:

rescueshell / # lsmod                                                                                                                 
Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted                                                                                 
aha1740                 8106  0                                                                                                       
dm_mod                137495  0                                                                                                       
rescueshell / #
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ve3id,

Go the Debian CD route an see what it uses for your hardware.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
ve3id
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
ve3id,

nothing downloadable for alpha on their site, but i can view the release notes for 5!

I'm going out for a walk to buy a lottery ticket. Maybe I'll have more luck there!

cheers,
nigel
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ve3id wrote:
NeddySeagoon wrote:
ve3id,

nothing downloadable for alpha on their site, but i can view the release notes for 5!

I'm going out for a walk to buy a lottery ticket. Maybe I'll have more luck there!

cheers,
nigel

I gave you the link above to download the ISOs
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: