Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] Installing Docker ― what is "registry"?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
regox
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:27 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Installing Docker ― what is "registry"? Reply with quote

I'm trying to get a Docker image to work. I can't run any docker command because it says it can't connect to the daemon. rc-service says the daemon has crashed (it does instantly after restart). So, looking at the docker wiki, it suggest I do
Code:

root #rc-update add registry default
root #rc-service registry start

But this fails, because it can't find "registry". I can't find information on that, neither in the Wiki article nor in the man pages.

So, what exactly is registry and how can I get it? Do I need it?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by regox on Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
pingtoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Docker on Gentoo are two packages,
  • app-emulation/docker (20.10.9@2022-01-09): The core functions you need to create Docker images and run Docker containers
  • app-emulation/docker-cli (20.10.9@2022-01-05): the command line binary for docker

Did you have them both installed?

Code:
Runlevel: default
 chronyd                                            [  started  ]
 rsyslog                                            [  started  ]
 cronie                                             [  started  ]
 dbus                                               [  started  ]
 rpi3-wifi-regdom                                   [  started  ]
 netmount                                           [  started  ]
 elogind                                            [  started  ]
 display-manager                                    [  started  ]
 docker                                             [  started  ]
 nfs                                                [  started  ]
 qemu-binfmt                                        [  started  ]
 rpi3-ondemand                                      [  started  ]
 rpi3-safecompositor                                [  started  ]
 rpi3-safecursor                                    [  started  ]
 smartd                                             [  started  ]
 sshd                                               [  started  ]
 xdm                                                [  started  ]
 local                                              [  started 

Do you have docker service running?

I think "registry" in your context, refer to Docker Rgistry. You don't need to use docker registry unless you want to build/distribute your own image within your organisation.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When citing a Wiki page, please show the URL of the page you were reading, so that we can read it too.

Why is the daemon crashing? What error message(s) does it print before it exits?
pingtoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
When citing a Wiki page, please show the URL of the page you were reading, so that we can read it too.

Do you mean like this? https://docs.docker.com/registry/#what-it-is

Sometime URL could be very long and embedded with strange characters, wouldn't it be better for readability to shorten it?
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, although my request was directed at the OP. I wanted to see what page suggested that he needed to start an openrc service named registry. Specifically, I was looking at:
regox wrote:
So, looking at the docker wiki, it suggest I do
I dislike URL shorteners like bitly, that issue a redirect to the real domain, to the point that I have asked people not to use them in forum posts, but instead link directly to the real target. I have no problem with using a url tag like shown in the first response in this thread, where the visible text is a nice description and the link leads to the real Wiki. I can hover over that text and know where I will be sent, which is good enough for me.
regox
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your replies. In the meantime, I could manage to get the docker image working. I checked my kernel config with the script located at /usr/share/docker/contrib/check-config.sh and saw that I was missing 2 or 3 modules. So I recompiled my kernel and now it works. So I was wrong that I was missing this "registry" service.

pingtoo wrote:

Did you have them both installed?

Yes.

pingtoo wrote:

Do you have docker service running?

Yes, but it just kept crashing.

pingtoo wrote:

I think "registry" in your context, refer to Docker Rgistry. You don't need to use docker registry unless you want to build/distribute your own image within your organisation.

That's what I wanted to know, thank you. Indeed, the "registry" service still can't be found, but my Docker runs fine.

Hu wrote:

I wanted to see what page suggested that he needed to start an openrc service named registry

Sorry for forgetting the link. I was referring to this: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Docker#OpenRC

Thanks for your help,

regox
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

regox wrote:
Hu wrote:
I wanted to see what page suggested that he needed to start an openrc service named registry
Sorry for forgetting the link. I was referring to this: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Docker#OpenRC
Odd. That page does indeed clearly and directly tell you to add the service named registry. I don't see how the author could expect you to do other than you did at the start of this thread, which is strange, since it clearly did not work for you. The page doesn't explain why you need it, so perhaps this is an optional feature that would be present if you installed enough extra add-ons. Per pingtoo's comments that you don't even need it, I think it is wrong for the Wiki to tell you to add it without explaining when or why you would want to.

Since you got Docker working to your satisfaction, I suggest you post on the Talk:Docker Wiki page to report that the advice about the registry is at best misleading, and at worst outright wrong. Request that it either be amended to explain when it is needed, preferably with a citation to an external source, or that it be removed so that future users do not get misled. Posting on the Talk page should serve to notify interested users, who will hopefully be able to provide the desired citation.
regox
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:

Since you got Docker working to your satisfaction, I suggest you post on the Talk:Docker Wiki page to report that the advice about the registry is at best misleading, and at worst outright wrong. Request that it either be amended to explain when it is needed, preferably with a citation to an external source, or that it be removed so that future users do not get misled. Posting on the Talk page should serve to notify interested users, who will hopefully be able to provide the desired citation.

I will do that, thank you!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: