View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeyG
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:28 am    Post subject: [Solved] Gnome 42 emerge Reply with quote

I started an emerge a day ago and it looks like some Gnome 42 packages were installed. Now I get to the "oops something went wrong" at gdm start. This is the error:

Code:
/usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[55035]: dbus-daemon[55035]: [session uid=103 pid=55035] Successfully activated service 'org.a11y.Bus'
gnome-session[55036]: gnome-session-binary[55036]: GLib-GIO-CRITICAL: g_bus_get_sync: assertion 'error == NULL || *error == NULL' failed
gnome-session[55036]: gnome-session-binary[55036]: GLib-GIO-CRITICAL: g_bus_get_sync: assertion 'error == NULL || *error == NULL' failed
gnome-session-binary[55036]: GLib-GIO-CRITICAL: g_bus_get_sync: assertion 'error == NULL || *error == NULL' failed
gnome-session-binary[55036]: GLib-GIO-CRITICAL: g_bus_get_sync: assertion 'error == NULL || *error == NULL' failed
gnome-shell[55126]: Running GNOME Shell (using mutter 41.4) as a X11 window and compositing manager
/usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[54992]: (II) AMDGPU(0): EDID vendor "VSC", prod id 3384
/usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[54992]: (II) AMDGPU(0): Using EDID range info for horizontal sync
/usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[54992]: (II) AMDGPU(0): Using EDID range info for vertical refresh

I am slowly trying to get back to a working system, which package is causing this? I am sure it is something I over looked.

Mike
[/code]

Last edited by MikeyG on Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
alamahant
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Now I get to the "oops something went wrong" at gdm start

You mean after typing username and password?
If yes can you log into X instead of Wayland?
Gnome uses wayland by default.
Also i suppose you have elogind and dbus enabled and running no?
nathanlkoch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Just updated to 42 on ~amd64.
My desktop worked, a few unsupported extensions but that's not your fault and to be expected.

My desktop updated fine. My laptop not so much. I don't have a top bar with the clock and hot corner. It's like the shell aspect is completely missing.

After further investigation, an extension was causing conflicts for gnome-shell and mutter. rebuilding now. I am getting a bunch of hardbuz conflicts as well.

Last edited by nathanlkoch on Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have everything working. All in all, only one extension didn't work after manually inserting 42 compatibility. It's breaking with some vala Clutter function call.

I have

gnome-*/* ~amd64

in my /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords/gnome. I don't remember when I did that, but I need to gradually revert to stable.

Regards,
Georgi
nathanlkoch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

logrusx wrote:
I have everything working. All in all, only one extension didn't work after manually inserting 42 compatibility. It's breaking with some vala Clutter function call.

I have

gnome-*/* ~amd64

in my /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords/gnome. I don't remember when I did that, but I need to gradually revert to stable.

Regards,
Georgi

How do you enable extension compatability?
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nathanlkoch wrote:

How do you enable extension compatability?

I edit metadata.js to add 42. Not all extensions can be enabled that way, only the ones that do not use incompatible functions.

I just tried to revert to 41, it was just 6 packages to downgrade. However I too got the "oops something went wrong", so the change doesn't seem to be easily reversible and for those who got the same effect by emerging 42, there might be more packages that need to be updated, to get your Gnome running.

Regards,
Georgi
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome 42 emerge Reply with quote

MikeyG wrote:
I started an emerge a day ago and it looks like some Gnome 42 packages were installed. Now I get to the "oops something went wrong" at gdm start. This is the error:

I am slowly trying to get back to a working system, which package is causing this? I am sure it is something I over looked.

Mike

Maybe you need to do like me: mark gnome-*/* and =x11-wm/mutter-42.0 with ~amd64 to get your system working. Then remove the keyword and add it to th versioned packages so you don't get dev packages by default.

Regards,
Georgi
nathanlkoch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome 42 emerge Reply with quote

logrusx wrote:
MikeyG wrote:

Mike

Maybe you need to do like me: mark gnome-*/* and =x11-wm/mutter-42.0 with ~amd64 to get your system working. Then remove the keyword and add it to th versioned packages so you don't get dev packages by default.

Regards,
Georgi

My entire system is ~amd64
MikeyG
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first post was out of frustration and having to head to work. I found that libgweather-4.0.0 was not building, but it looks like some fixes after my emerge:

https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/log/dev-libs/libgweather/libgweather-4.0.0.ebuild

I cleared out the distfiles and everything built - system is back up.

Mike
nathanlkoch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I am having tons of issues trying to get webkit-gtk and harfbuzz to compile.

I'm getting some kind of ninja error on webkit-gtk.
nathanlkoch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://dpaste.com/3QXN5TSCJ#wrap

How can I fix webkit-gtk?
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the output, ninja failed. If you need assistance, please follow the instructions shown in that output, requoted here:
Code:

* If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.34.6::gentoo'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.34.6::gentoo'`.
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.34.6/temp/build.log'.
nathanlkoch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the weirdest thing i've ever seen since using Gentoo. If you are logged into a gui webkit-gtk won't build. I don't know if it's preventative as it's required by gdm or gnome but all I had to do was drop to tty and it built fine. If others are having build issues try updating from console.
sam_
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nathanlkoch wrote:
https://dpaste.com/3QXN5TSCJ#wrap

How can I fix webkit-gtk?

The error is missing from the log (it's got the "ninja died" bit, but because of parallel builds, the last thing to run is not the thing which failed). Could you upload the full thing?
nathanlkoch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to get it to finish by not compining in a DE, also these harfbuzz deps make updating to Gnome 42 impossible.
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1147840.html
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nathanlkoch wrote:
It's the weirdest thing i've ever seen since using Gentoo. If you are logged into a gui webkit-gtk won't build. I don't know if it's preventative as it's required by gdm or gnome but all I had to do was drop to tty and it built fine. If others are having build issues try updating from console.
What message is shown when Portage refuses to do this? Note that many Desktop Environments are somewhat memory intensive, and webkit-gtk is infamous for being resource intensive. Trying to combine those on a marginal system might fail due to Out-of-Memory. On such a setup, closing the desktop environment might free enough memory to allow webkit-gtk to succeed.
duduedri96
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome 42 emerge Reply with quote

MikeyG wrote:

Code:
/usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[55035]: dbus-daemon[55035]: [session uid=103 pid=55035] Successfully activated service 'org.a11y.Bus'
gnome-shell[55126]: Running GNOME Shell (using mutter 41.4) as a X11 window and compositing manager
/usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[54992]: (II) AMDGPU(0): EDID vendor "VSC", prod id 3384
/usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[54992]: (II) AMDGPU(0): Using EDID range info for horizontal sync
/usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[54992]: (II) AMDGPU(0): Using EDID range info for vertical refresh

Mike
[/code]

Did you figure out the cause for GDM not starting up? I’ve got the exact same issue with the exact same log lines after doing a full system upgrade.

Thanks
SoapSA
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Gnome 42 emerge Reply with quote

duduedri96 wrote:
MikeyG wrote:

Code:

Mike
[/code]

Did you figure out the cause for GDM not starting up? I’ve got the exact same issue with the exact same log lines after doing a full system upgrade.

Thanks

I also have this issue, and in my case with nvidia-drivers the culprit seems to be

Code:
Mar 23 23:59:21 ryzen org.gnome.Shell.desktop[267669]: Failed to setup: Unable to initialize the Clutter backend: no available drivers found.

reverting back to gnome 41 seems to be the only way for me to get gdm up again.
nathanlkoch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

over the last day or so more packages have been coming out, there have been some dependancy circles with freetype and hardfuzz that need to be resolved if you have lots of packages installed. It's coming together though....

just emerge --sync and keep updating.
maybe install a secondary de to use for a few days.

https://imgur.com/gallery/1W6Vh0k
papandreoos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's also happening using sddm in my latest update (i'm on ~amd64).
can't use the gnome desktop now.
nathanlkoch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papandreoos wrote:
it's also happening using sddm in my latest update (i'm on ~amd64).
can't use the gnome desktop now.

Over the last few days fixes have come out, along with more packages, Keep portage updated with an emerge --sync. Also your local mirror might be lagging behind.
I have my system updated. Seems to be working fine now. Lots of new 42 released software. When using ~amd64. You kind of accept certain risks.

IN THE NAME OF SCIENCE! ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Things_to_Come )
poncho
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Gnome 42 emerge Reply with quote

SoapSA wrote:
I also have this issue, and in my case with nvidia-drivers the culprit seems to be
Code:
Mar 23 23:59:21 ryzen org.gnome.Shell.desktop[267669]: Failed to setup: Unable to initialize the Clutter backend: no available drivers found.

reverting back to gnome 41 seems to be the only way for me to get gdm up again.

Same here. With nvidia-drivers and -wayland

Filled https://bugs.gentoo.org/835786 a few days ago
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reverting to 41 turned out not to be an option for me, because it cause the "oops" screen on GDM, that's why I decided to return back to 42, but my system is mostly stable, so I guess the problem comes from one or more of the testing packages you(those running ~amd64 systems) are running.

I'm running testing Gnome on stable system now and everything seems to be fine.

Regards,
Georgi
poncho
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

logrusx wrote:
Reverting to 41 turned out not to be an option for me, because it cause the "oops" screen on GDM

Downgrading is a bit difficult because gnome-base/gnome-shell-41.4 doesn't work with slotted libgweather and slotted gnome-bluetooth
Filled https://bugs.gentoo.org/836311 for that issue
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poncho wrote:
Same here. With nvidia-drivers and -wayland

Filled https://bugs.gentoo.org/835786 a few days ago

Does mutter-42.0-r1 help any with this (note -r1)? It was meant to fix a different bug (image corruption when using nvidia and Xorg) but it's possible it helped here too, possibly other issues too (haven't tested USE=-wayland or non-nvidia, not the issues I was looking into and I typically don't look at ~arch gnome).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: