Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Smooth output on screen in live env, how to replicate?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tatsh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:54 am    Post subject: Smooth output on screen in live env, how to replicate? Reply with quote

See example image

The Gentoo Live environment has very nice output on this new laptop I got which has a 4K OLED. I am wondering how to replicate this. What kernel options are picked? And how to get this font?

I have not yet installed Gentoo on this new laptop but I also have a desktop on 4K screens and the VTs do not look as nice. Would like to get this kind of output on all my systems if possible.
alamahant
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe try
Code:

eselect fontconfig list
equery '*' | grep fonts

and try to replicate the first by installing the packages produced by the second.
Lets hope that both "app-eselect/eselect-fontconfig" and "gentoolkit" are available in minimal cd
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Smooth output on screen in live env, how to replicate? Reply with quote

Tatsh wrote:
See example image

The Gentoo Live environment has very nice output on this new laptop I got which has a 4K OLED. I am wondering how to replicate this. What kernel options are picked? And how to get this font?

I have not yet installed Gentoo on this new laptop but I also have a desktop on 4K screens and the VTs do not look as nice. Would like to get this kind of output on all my systems if possible.

It depends on the hardware you have, what kernel configuration you should use. For example I'm using simpledrm driver, but on different hardware efifb might be better or even vesafb.

Inspect the dmsg output of the live cd and see what driver takes over the fb console and configure it int the kernel. It also might be relevant to configure the screen resolution in grub as efifb for example would pick whatever grub of the efi firmware has already set up.

Regards,
Georgi
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: