Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 28, 29, 30  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Decibels
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snowpatch wrote:
Is this approach better than using the sleep command? I thought I read somewhere in this thread that udevstart might go away at some point.

Ya, probably will, that is why didn't concern myself to much with it in the Primer. The only sound problem I have is /dev/mixer never gets created, not to worried about it though and lot of short mpg's and wmv's don't have sound anymore. Not sure why, but too busy to look into it right now.

– Steven Wright
Epyon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snowpatch wrote:

Is this approach better than using the sleep command? I thought I read somewhere in this thread that udevstart might go away at some point.

Hopefully the problem thats causing this will be fixed before udevstart goes away.
danone
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decibels do you have an advise for me to the post I posted on page 21 of this thread with my harddrive that it can't be mount so far i have 7 partitions on it

hda1 hda5 hda6 hda7 hda8 and hda5 is my /boot on root but i musst mount it after boot process while on boot it said can't find hda5..and also with my keyboard an mouse
d_adams
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danone wrote:
Got problems with my harddrive on boot.

/dev/hda5 was my /boot but it cant mount them on start up after boot sequence i can mount them whats wrong there? I tried to make a rule

Code:

KERNEL="hd[0-9]*", NAME="hd/%n", SYMLINK="%k"

device '/sys/block/hda/hda5' has major:minor 3:5
  looking at class device '/sys/block/hda/hda5':
    SYSFS{dev}="3:5"
    SYSFS{size}="195426"
    SYSFS{start}="126"
    SYSFS{stat}="       0        0        0        0"

follow the class device's "device"
  looking at the device chain at '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.1/ide0/0.0':
    BUS="ide"
    ID="0.0"
    SYSFS{detach_state}="0"

what is wrong there and what i can do to get my hda5 to mount on boot
"snipped a little there"

and also

Quote:
Decibels do you have an advise for me to the post I posted on page 21 of this thread with my harddrive that it can't be mount so far i have 7 partitions on it

hda1 hda5 hda6 hda7 hda8 and hda5 is my /boot on root but i musst mount it after boot process while on boot it said can't find hda5..and also with my keyboard an mouse

Ok, so you're trying to mount /boot during the boot up sequence? Or did I get that wrong and you're trying to mount it after the boot sequence?
If it's the first option, what is the purpose of mounting /boot at that time? Your bootloader mounts /boot to find the kernel, etc. and then unmounts it to protect that partition.
If it's the second option, how did you get it to boot up to begin with?
Or, were you trying to boot from another system and trying to access /boot on /dev/hda5 from there and can't mount it?

Need a little more info to see what's really going on. The most useful thing to do now is to post your fstab, and lilo/grub.conf file and any error messages you see during the boot process. Dmesg output might be helpful as well.

Are both the keyboard and mouse usb devices? It doesn't appear that they are being mapped incorrectly, but I'm not at a udev system right now, so I can't check this to be sure.
danone
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

before i used udev my hda5 where all boot stuff is on is mounted on boot. when i compile kernel it will be stored in boot which is on hda5 know with udev i must manually mount hda5 to boot while boot it cant be found.

fstab entry /dev/hda5 /boot reiserfs notail 0 0
was mounted with devfs on boot while normal init process know i have to boot it after I've login because udev dont put it to /dev/hda5 before localmount mount fstab entrys
nevynxxx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danone wrote:
know i have to boot it after I've login because udev dont put it to /dev/hda5 before localmount mount fstab entrys

It doesn't help you problem, but why do you have boot automount? any particular reason?

Do the other partitions on the drive mount on boot? My hda has root as hda8 and swap as hda7 and they both start with no problems along with a bunch of windows partitions at 4 and % and stuff.

Wanted: Instructor in the art of Bowyery
danone
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my root is a raid device md0 and grub cant read from md0 devices because its virtuall so i need extra drive to make boot on it
/boot <---- kernel grub etc
/ <- root is md0 device

and i need hda5 on boot becuase the kernel is stored there and grub

its starts
until Settiung up local mounts and said special mount of hda5 not possiblöe cause it dont exists..after login it is there
nevynxxx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still not seeing why you need /boot mounted, unless you are installing a kernel, or chaning grub. If it manages to boot ok, whats the problem?

I take it you have other partitions on hda? try having them automount on boot and see what happens. The devices should be created in plenty of time.

danone
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nevynxxx wrote:
I'm still not seeing why you need /boot mounted, unless you are installing a kernel, or chaning grub. If it manages to boot ok, whats the problem?

I take it you have other partitions on hda? try having them automount on boot and see what happens. The devices should be created in plenty of time.

it happend to all partitions execpt md0 which mounted cleany while init
tryed with automount but until i logged the device isn't created..maybe udevstart wont work properly?I will mount /boot while init seq because I will not even look if its mounted I often compile kernel instant so that i dont even remeber to take care if its mounted ...i only want my /boot not more not less without typing mount /boot or mount /dev/hda5 /boot eg same happend to hda8 which is my portage distfile drive after switching to udev my partition wont be mountable after i loged in
nevynxxx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at least you have been warned (again) that automounting boot is not a good thing.

As for the problem, are you sure the filesystem is compiled in, and not a module? it's very strange that something as widly used as a hard drive controller is having probles and you are the first to notice. for most people they wouldn't even be able to boot if this was happening.

Decibels
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nevynxxx wrote:
snip: for most people they wouldn't even be able to boot if this was happening.

See that is what I was thinking. I am getting a little lost in your english though. Are you by chance German danone, if so there is a German translation of the Primer. No offense, but if so, might be easier to understand.
1) If your system is booting, then it is mounting /boot and then umounting after it is done retrieving the image. (Normal and should do this.)
2) If your system is not mounting /boot, don't really see how you are even booting up at all. (This is what should happen if can't find boot.)

I am also lost why you want /boot mounted. The /boot partition is only accessed during boot to get the kernel image, after that Gentoo umounts it to protect that partition.
1) The only reason to mount /boot is to put a new kernel image there or run lilo and redo your bootloader. There is really not many other reasons. It's for your protection.

I don't have a raid system, so will be of limited use on this, sorry. d_adams asked for a couple items to be posted that I feel are necessary, would like them posted in there entirety.

Anwser these and please post information needed:
Answers:
3) Aside: You are using a 2.6 kernel correct and have followed the UDEV Primer carefully, correct?
4) Are you running a pure udev system (ie. NO TARBALL) or using the TARBALL?

2) /etc/lilo.conf (I believe you said you weren't using grub)
3) print out of df command after booting, if you are booting up all the way. Also print out before you do any 'manual' mounting of any other partitions.
4) dmesg printout if you are getting any errors that are relevent (not the whole thing on this, just the relevent parts please)
5) Versions of these programs
.. a) baselayout
.. b) udev
.. c) hotplug (also has hotplug been added to 'boot' runlevel. rc-update add hotplug boot)
.. d) kernel
If you don't want to paste them all here you can email them to me and I will look. But until I get that information don't see how much more help I can be. The reason I want the complete information and not annotated is because we all make mistakes and think we have something right and ends up being something simple sometimes (know from experience).

Any of you other UDEV users using a RAID system that might be of some help.

Also, didn't there use to be issues with using Reiserfs on boot, can't remember, but I am using Ext3 on my /boot and Reiserfs on /root, did it for some reason like that, but not sure if still an issue.

– Steven Wright
danone
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed the steeps and byside i'm german.

I read the udev tut carefully and I use 2.6.5-rc3 kernel with mm4 tree.

Okay to take it short..i use
    sys-apps/baselayout-1.8.6.13-r1
    sys-fs/udev-023-r1
    sys-apps/hotplug-base-20040329
    sys-apps/hotplug-20040329
    sys-fs/udev-023-r1
    media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.5336-r1
    media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.5336-r1
    media-libs/alsa-lib-1.0.3b-r2
    media-sound/alsa-utils-1.0.3

my rc in conf.d is like that
Code:

RC_DEVICE_TARBALL="no"
RC_DEVFSD_STARTUP="yes"
my raid device mounted perfekt (hda4,hde3) but all the other partition like hda3 and hda8 wont be mounted the filesystem is compiled in kernel and on devfs its working correct..but I need some partition mounted automaticlly like hda5 and hda8 with portage...
my rc-update -s shows this:
Code:
acpid |
           alsasound | boot
                apmd |
            bootmisc | boot
             checkfs | boot
           checkroot | boot
               clamd |
               clock | boot
         consolefont | boot
         crypto-loop |
               cupsd |
          domainname |      default
              esound |
                famd |
                 gpm |
              hdparm |      default
            hostname | boot
             hotplug | boot
             keymaps | boot
               lircd |
                lisa |
               local |      default nonetwork
          localmount | boot
             metalog |      default
             modules | boot
               mysql |
            net.eth0 |
              net.lo | boot
            netmount |      default
            net.ppp0 |
                nscd |
             numlock |
             oidentd |
             portmap |
             reslisa |
           rmnologin | boot
            rp-pppoe |      default
              rsyncd |
              serial | boot
                sshd |
             urandom | boot
          vixie-cron |      default
                 xdm |
                 xfs |
hotplug is @ boot ...
Code:
 fstab-->
/dev/hda5               /boot           reiserfs        notail,auto,noatime    0 0
/dev/md0                /               reiserfs        notail,auto,noatime    0 0
/dev/hda6               none            swap            sw                     0 0
/dev/hda8               /usr          reiserfs       notail,auto,noatime                    0 0
none                    /proc           proc            defaults               0 0
none                    /sys            sysfs           defaults               0 0
none                    /dev/pts        devpts          defaults               0 0

df -a
/dev/md0              60000340   7854548  52145792  14% /
none                         0         0         0   -  /dev
none                         0         0         0   -  /proc
none                         0         0         0   -  /sys
none                         0         0         0   -  /dev/pts
none                    517868         0    517868   0% /dev/shm
none                         0         0         0   -  /mnt/dvd
none                         0         0         0   -  /mnt/cdrom
usbdevfs                     0         0         0   -  /proc/bus/usb

dmesg

will email it to you or under http://f-mt.de/linux/dmesg.txt

generally hdaX and hdbX hdeX will not boot automaticlly must even login and mount..It also files server and so hda8 need to mounted on boot...hope that now you get the problem
Decibels
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, that was fast :)
Have you tried adding /sbin/udevstart to your /etc/conf.d/local.start ? Try that. Wild guess here, cause it would probably be too late for it to do anything on this issue, but worth a try.

Well, looks pretty good so far. Noticed a few things in fstab though.
According to the Gentoo Install docs: /boot
Code:
It shouldn't be mounted automatically (noauto) but does need to be checked.

Could you change it to one of these:
Code:
/dev/hda5   /boot    reiserfs   notail,noauto,noatime    1  1
or
/dev/hda5   /boot    reiserfs   notail,noauto,noatime    1  2

Also remove the 'auto' out of these two and add defaults to /usr:
Code:
/dev/md0     /     reiserfs    notail,noatime    0 0
/dev/hda8    /usr  reiserfs    defaults,notail,noatime    0 0

Looks to me your biggest problem is /dev/hda8 isn't being mouted for /usr.
Other than that I see some drive seek errors in your dmesg for hde. But can't find that kernel option looking for right now. Need some sleep.

Code:
Little note on defaults:
auto
    The filesystem can be mounted automatically (at bootup, or when mount is passed the -a option). This is really unnecessary as this is the default action of mount -a anyway.

defaults
    Use default settings. Equivalent to rw,suid,dev,exec,auto,nouser,async

I don't have raid, but top part of my fstab looks like this:
Code:
/dev/hdb1   /boot        ext3     noauto,noatime       1 1
/dev/hdb2   /            reiserfs notail               0 0
/dev/hda5   none         swap     sw                   0 0
/dev/hda6   /mnt/backup  reiserfs defaults,users,noauto  0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0    /mnt/cdrom  iso9660  defaults,ro,users  0 0

Looks like you know what your doing for sure, just having a bad day. Try the above and see what happens. I was thinking there was an issue with separate partitions for stuff like /usr /var,... and udev, but can't seem to find it. Probably just need some sleep, so going now.

Also, would be interested if none of the above works, if you tried the using the tarball, does it work the way you want?

– Steven Wright
danone
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

solved my problem by removing the damn devfs from kernel i compiled automount :-) that was all:-) ..now it works fine..now i remove the use RC_DEVFSD_STARTUP="no"..also md0 works fine..one problem still there but dont know how to fix..well im fast and you too..hope you have a pleasend sleep..and good dreams:-) well i missed the automount of devfs in kernel..grrrr..is so stupid of me:-)
Decibels
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danke. Ya, I was grabbing at straws with the information I had. Did you have a older copy of the Primer? Thought I put it in there several times not to do that with devfs. :) You can still leave devfs if you want, just don't enable it to automatically load at boot time.

Surprised you got booted as far as you did with that enabled. My system would not boot and failed at 'checking root filesystem'.
You seemed to boot though, if you have something to add to the Primer as another error that will be produced if you have devfs enabled to load at boot error, write up a line or two and will see about adding it to the Primer.
Will have to understand how you were able to boot at all though, since it looked like your /usr partition wasn't even mounted.

Well, glad you fixed it yourself. But you say you still have one problem still there but don't know how to fix? (Didn't you think that about this one? Have faith man, you can do it.) What is it, about the mouse?

– Steven Wright
danone
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its about udev rules..I want that udev make me /dev/dvd and /dev/cdrw and I add following to the udev rule according to the DMESG so I tried what in this thread some people posted and along your tutorial

Code:
dmesg snipplet: so i thought okay writing a rule
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
hdc: LITE-ON LTR-52246S, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdd: _NEC DVD_RW ND-1300A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
CMD649: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:02:06.0

udev.rules i added this
Code:

KERNEL="DVD*",NAME="dvd/%n", SYMLINK="%k-dvd"
KERNEL="_NEC*",NAME="dvd/%n", SYMLINK="%k-nec" --> is only for test purpose wanted to see if this rule takes effects...also update to hotplug-base 2004-04-01 and hotplug not success.. when I make ln -s /dev/hdd /dev/dvd mplayer sucks
 and hope it will make it but nothing the DVD thing i added as test but wont work..also I switch to pure udev and no devfs support in kernel either devfsd installed:-)

Is that possible to make rule according to the udevinfo
Code:
device '/sys/block/hdd' has major:minor 22:64
  looking at class device '/sys/block/hdd':
    SYSFS{dev}="22:64" ---->> can I make a rule of SYSFS_dev{22:64}?
    SYSFS{range}="1"
    SYSFS{size}="8594240"
    SYSFS{stat}="       0        0        0        0        0        0        0        0        0        0        0"

follow the class device's "device"
  looking at the device chain at '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.1/ide1/1.1':
    BUS="ide" ------------_>> this seems to be the IDE controller
    ID="1.1"
    SYSFS{detach_state}="0"

looking at the device chain at '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.1/ide1':
    BUS=""
    ID="ide1"
    SYSFS{detach_state}="0"
well your tut help to get a look insight...I was surprised how easy the migration was! now its time here to sleep...
According to your tutorial I must that its mostly orientated to unique name devices not special things like CDROM and so which get no name here my hd* there is no SYS_vendor or so..also hdd nothing about _NEC or LiteON..how to make a rule for such devices:-)
Decibels
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried how I did that at the bottom of the Primer? Also check out DSD's guide on udev.rules link on the Primer page.

– Steven Wright
danone
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried as you write in the primier but I cant get it working for the _NEC DVD Burner because i cant found a vendor id or something else only the infos I've posted deci
well I will try tomorrow:-) gotta sleep now tomorrow i will mirgrate 4 servers to udev well I wont lie but there is a speed increase and the dev is clean:-)
Code:
Decibels do you have ICQ or compatible would like to conversate to you...about clean migration with raid and udev

Decibels
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is your 'KERNEL' part mainly. Look at DSD's tutorial on udev.rules: http://www.reactivated.net/udevrules.php near the bottom in section called: Writing convenience rules for my CD drives

Quick guess yours would be something like this:
Code:
BUS="ide", KERNEL="hdd", NAME="%k", SYMLINK="dvd cdroms/cdrom%n"

Would be an example. But DSD's guide is the best out there for this, nothing else like it on the net anywhere.

– Steven Wright

Last edited by Decibels on Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:58 am; edited 1 time in total
danone
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[qoute]
Ya, AIM Instant Messager protocol: Screen Name is listed when you move mouse over the aim button on post. Not on it much of the time, but your welcome to contact me if on. I don't know diddley about Raid though. Only that when I see: /dev/md0 . Someone is using Raid. That is about the extent of it.[/quote] If I go to the AIM button it shows only "AIM-NAME" but not the name that you are using...well softraid is not the big thing ..since the kernel is well build and configured all is like sleeping:-) like this what i should do know and wanted:-)
BobDylan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yipee !
udev-024 is out, and it finally solves the problems with my usb card reader !
Admiral LSD
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The business with the ALSA device nodes not being created before the alsasound initscript also seems to be fixed for me. I don't know if it's the result of upgrading to udev 024 or ALSA 1.0.4 though...

Registered Linux user #319839
gungholady
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admiral LSD` wrote:
The business with the ALSA device nodes not being created before the alsasound initscript also seems to be fixed for me. I don't know if it's the result of upgrading to udev 024 or ALSA 1.0.4 though...

It must be the Alsa 1.0.4. I updated this morning to the new Udev and the new Hotplug and the alsa issue is still there for me. In fact, setting sleep doesn't make any difference like it did before. I still have to have /sbin/udevstart in my /etc/local.start in order to get the nvidia devices.
piquadrat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I installed hotplug and udev recently, no problems so far, only a little hickup: as I'm a laptop user, I got to pay attention to power consumption. Unfortunately, hotplug loads the WLAN module (orinoco_pci) at boot, so the WLAN card searchs for an access point at full power all the time.
Now, is there a way to tell hotplug or udev not to load that module automatically?

Thanks for any help!
dsd
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some good news: looks like my "writing udev rules" document will be included in future udev distributions :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 22 of 30

Jump to: