improper mounting on boot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanpelt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 9:28 pm    Post subject: improper mounting on boot Reply with quote

I just decided to reinstall my copy of Gentoo. I decided this partly because my previous copy wasn't functioning properly, and partly because of the excitment. Anyway, I just finished the install and rebooted, when I was greeted with problems.

I have about 6 partitions that are mounted during boot: root, usr, home, temp, and a couple storage drives. All of these partitions are different sizes. The problem is that it dosen't seem to mount any partitions but the root. When I login, it complains of not being able to find "whoami" and other programs that would be in /usr (I can't run "less" or "emerge" etc.).

When I run a "df -h", it shows all of my partitions but it says that they are all the same size with the same amount used. If I try and unmount a partition, it says that it isn't mounted, but when I re-mount it it works fine. It shows up in "df -h", and I can see the files with "ls".

Here's the kicker, my system was showing these same symptoms before I decided to re-install Gentoo. An fsck doesn't bring up any errors in the drive. The system just started acting like this out of the blue. It is un-related to any ebuild update, as I hadn't updated my system in over a couple months.

I'm really lost on this one, any ideas?
mike4148
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post the contents of /etc/fstab.
vanpelt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 9:48 pm    Post subject: fstab is cool Reply with quote

fstab is fine, I'm using the same one that worked for me for 6 months. The drive are "/dev/hda5 / noatime 0 1" etc.
vanpelt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: Ok, here's the fstab Reply with quote

Here is my fstab, but I'm really stumped on this one.

Quote:

/dev/hda5 / ext3 noatime 0 1
/dev/hda6 /usr ext3 noatime 0 1
/dev/hda7 /home ext3 noatime 0 1
/dev/hda8 /var/tmp ext3 noatime 0 1
/dev/hda9 /mnt/vmware ext3 noatime 0 1
/dev/hda11 /mnt/storage vfat owner,uid=1000,gid=100,async,rw 0 0
/dev/hda10 none swap sw 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

If I run "dmesg" after boot the last few lines say

Quote:

usb-uhci.c: v1.275:USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver
kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3 FS 2.4-0.9.19, 19 August 2002 on ide0(3,6), internal journal
EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode

mike4148
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After you're logged in to your system, try running
Code:
mount -a

This is, essentially, how the init scripts mount the filesystems in fstab. Its output might contain some indication of what's gone wrong. If it works, it might be a bug in the init scripts (I'm using 1.8.6.10-r1 without problems).

Does the problem only affect your physical filesystems, or are some virtual filesystems (e.g., proc, usb[dev]fs, tmpfs) also left unmounted?
vanpelt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:01 am    Post subject: Still a problem Reply with quote

Well, I was having these problems until I reverted to a kernel which I thought I had tryed before with the same results, but it worked. Now, however the problem is back! I re-compiled my kernel and the problem once again reared it's ugly head. I think it may have something to do with the initial initrd mounting. I tryed to enable it to allow for bootsplashing, and that's when the problem came back. mount -a does nothing. I figure I'll try to compile again without initrd support, and I'll see where I'm at. If that doesn't work I'll try the vanilla-sources. Does anyone else have an idea?
vanpelt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:20 am    Post subject: Still baffeled! Reply with quote

Well, I recompiled my kernel without initrd support and it booted on my next attempt fine. I booted into KDE and tryed to restart X "ctrl + alt + backspace" and my system froze. I than rebooted the machine manually and on the next boot the same problem was there. My next step was to mount "/usr" so that I could apply a clean reboot with "shutdown -r now", vwalla it was working allright again. So, my problem is not initrd, but instead has to do with an improper shutdown. I've never noticed this before. Is this common? wierd
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: