Stuck on GPU PCIe passthrough
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RayDude
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:06 pm    Post subject: Stuck on GPU PCIe passthrough Reply with quote

I'm setting up my new laptop using the APU for Gentoo and the standalone GPU as the windows virtual machine display.

I've been using various guides, including the Gentoo guide: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GPU_passthrough_with_libvirt_qemu_kvm

And the Arch: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF

I have QEMU running Windows 10 with virtmanager, and I can see that the GPU is initializing because the external monitor connected to it has TianoCore EFI BIOS information on it.

But in Windows, the PCIe devices I've done passthrough are not recognized by Windows and the Device Manager sees them as "Unknown". I tried the nvidia installer, but it does not recognize the devices either.

I've hit a road block. I'll keep digging around, but any pointers anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Update 1: I was looking at the wrong device, it is found under display adapters, but windows is giving this error:

"The driver trying to start is not the same as the driver for the POSTed display adapter. C01E0438"

Update 2: I followed the guide and removed the QEMU video device. It is now using the RTX3060 in 800x600 mode and the nvidia driver still does not recognize the device.

Update 3: installed the qemu windows 10 guest drivers but that didn't help either.

Windows is declaring the RTX 3060 a "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" and won't accept any other driver.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: