Dracut mounts root incorrectly
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
burningserenity
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:36 pm    Post subject: Dracut mounts root incorrectly Reply with quote

Working through this: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=8728082#8728082 I found that dracut is not mounting my root filesystem correctly.
I am using an encrypted root and I get the prompt to enter the password for it when I boot. Once I do, the system hangs for several minutes until dracut errors out, saying it couldn't find my root fs.
In the dracut rescue console, I see that /dev/mapper doesn't have the root partition mounted like I expect (/dev/mapper/root), but has it mounted as /dev/mapper/luks-<hexcode>.

I tried recreating the initramfs from the Gentoo livecd with the cryptroot mounted exactly as it appears in the dracut console, but the result is the same. The path is now ostensibly correct, but dracut still can't find the decrypted root partition.
Next, I recreated the initramfs with the old partition name, root.

What does work is unmounting and closing the cryptroot, then opening and remounting it as /dev/mapper/root, and exiting the dracut console. From here, OpenRC inits and I can get to my login console.

So my question now is, how can I get dracut to mount the filesystem correctly? I tried setting dracut to use my fstab, also tried booting off of the UUID instead of the path in combination, but dracut never seems to pick up this information.
alamahant
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure you have an entry in
/etc/crypttab
Code:

root   UUID=<UUID of encrypted partition>   none luks,discard,initramfs

Likewise in
/etc/default/grub
Code:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="cryptdevice=UUID=<UUID of encrypted partition>:root root=/dev/mapper/root..........."
GRUB_PRELOAD_MODULES="part_msdos part_gpt lvm luks"

Make sure grub is built with "device-mapper".
Also in fstab you have no luks stuff.
Just
Code:

/dev/mapper/root    /    .............etc

Rebuilt dracut,update grub and enable dmcrypt@boot.
burningserenity
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I set the root in my grub config to use the UUID instead of the file path, now it works.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: