View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shade266
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:33 pm    Post subject: POOF!!!! Reply with quote

I am running a 2.4 r8 kernel w/KDE 3.1.2 & 3.1.4. Lately I have had a problem with my windows disappearing from the screen. When I click the Kasbar they all return again. Also there seemms to be extreme cpu usage but I have no idea why. This cpu problem doesn't occur when I am logged in as Root. Both system load and the nice load alternately max out. I have checked to see if I have any silent apps or programs running but it doesn't appear so.While rebuilding the kernel I and an associate kept getting Seg. faults as though the cpu was overheating. I have searched roughly 115 of 204 pages of this forum along with various others pertaining to the problem to no avail.

AthlonXP 2600+ 512MB PC2700 DDR
Gigabyte 7VM400M Integrated mobo <~~ sucks btw
40GB HD 2700Rpm
shade266
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject: RE: POOF!!! Reply with quote

A apology to the Admins for this near asinine post. I forgot to mention that when I attempt to shut my box off as user, the system halts at on 'power down'. And it stays this way!! As root this doesn't occur. I think I have become a zombie box for someone or else I have a runaway program. Either sucks!! Any ideas/suggestions welcome and needed.
reillyeon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry so say that this doesn't look good. A seg. fault while compiling the kernel seems to indicate either a serious problem with gcc or memory failure.

The other symptoms are quite odd so it may be possible that there is a rogue program running around. I would boot the system off a Knoppix CD and see if that has any problems (a memory problem would still occur here.) If there are no problems back up your files using knoppix and format the hd.
Linux user #309501
shade266
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah you were right about the kernel being FUBAR. I had to rebuild the kernel slightly and in the process found the app that was running wild. I had to also unemerge KDE after I recompiled the kernel. My problem was a result of my own screwy configuration of gsecurity. I forgot to remove some modules before I emerged others. Hence the memory problem. Thanks for the feedback.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: